Changing Rubber Wrap to Leather, where to go?

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I love my rubber wrap on my McDPred1, but it looks gimmicky sometimes and like an imitation(cheap) version of leather, so now I want the real thing. My hands get really sweaty so rubber is perfect for me as it absorbs it, but the leather feels just as good when I played with my friend's Ikon. Is it expensive to change to a leather wrap and where would I go to do it? I live in New York. Is there somewhere that I can mail my cue to do it and send back?
 
I have no idea what a McDPred1 is and I work on Predator cues everyday.
If you have a rubber wrap on a Predator cue it isn't going to be easy even for
someone that does leather regularly due to the thickness of the rubber that's on it.
Here's why: your rubber wrap is approx. .045/.065" thick, leather .022/.025".
To avoid a .020" step from the leather wrap to the body of the cue,
the wrap groove would need to be built-up before the wrap goes on.
I've done quite a few for Sey and I will tell you that it's time consuming.....
and it better be done right. My method uses wood veneer & epoxy.
You're basically wrapping the cue twice, once with veneer cut exactly to size
and then again with the leather you've chosen. I give the epoxy 8-24 hr cure.
After that, the leather wrap is done in a couple of hrs.
You can expect to pay more for installing leather on a cue previously wrapped in rubber.
There's basically twice as much work.

HTHs, KJ
 
I'd heard there was a collaboration of sorts with McD but I believe it was brief.
I hadn't seen any of the cues. I'm sure they're quite rare.
For that matter, when have you ever seen a McD with a Uni-QR jnt?
Well, you see one everyday but trust me, they're rare.
Your extended wrap is also a little Predator-ish.
Most wrap blanks are in the 13-1/2 to 14" range, these probably 15-16".
I have a few long wraps in stock. Embossed blk. lizard is popular with these.

LMK, KJ
 
I'd heard there was a collaboration of sorts with McD but I believe it was brief.
I hadn't seen any of the cues. I'm sure they're quite rare.
For that matter, when have you ever seen a McD with a Uni-QR jnt?
Well, you see one everyday but trust me, they're rare.
Your extended wrap is also a little Predator-ish.
Most wrap blanks are in the 13-1/2 to 14" range, these probably 15-16".
I have a few long wraps in stock. Embossed blk. lizard is popular with these.

LMK, KJ

You're right, I have noticed most people at the pool hall have smaller wraps that don't extend all the way to the butt but I like mine because on some shots I tend to hold the cue at a longer end or shorter end, but no matter where the wrap is still there making all shots feels the same. And embossed black lizard wrap sounds sexy as hell!!! I might have to take you up on that.
 
Maybe a "stacked leather" wrap would do it for you? I know they need to be turned (sanded?) down after the wrap is applied...
 
I would suggest that you send your cue to Guido Orlandi & get a cork wrap put on your cue. You will not regret it. The cork will last a long time. It will feel fantastic & be easy to clean.
 
Your cue needs to be a quality cue, because getting a cork wrap isn't going to be cheap.
 
Back
Top