chin on the cue issues

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Why? What for?
It gives new comers a more clear view of where they are lined up on the cue ball. That's the main reason. Try playing standing vertical, can you judge where centre ball is? How about 1/2 tip below centre? No, no one can at first. But with practice you learn to find those tip positions. The chin on the cue helps get your eyes as close to the cue balls level as possible shortening the learning curve of finding correct vertical tip positions.

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Move your chin up a 1/4 of an inch and it won't rub against the cue.
Why is this even a question?
Why must you be rubbing your chin against the cue in the first place?
because that's how i've learned to play.having the cue touching the chest/chin makes me feel if the cue is online or not.if i move my chin up slightly then my chest contact feels awkward and messed up too.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It gives new comers a more clear view of where they are lined up on the cue ball. That's the main reason. Try playing standing vertical, can you judge where centre ball is? How about 1/2 tip below centre? No, no one can at first. But with practice you learn to find those tip positions. The chin on the cue helps get your eyes as close to the cue balls level as possible shortening the learning curve of finding correct vertical tip positions.

Oh my. How low do you have to go to locate center ball? I get down pretty low but not so low that my chin rests on the shaft and becomes an impediment. I guess to each his own but it just makes no sense to me to have anything touch the shaft other than the fingers of my bridge.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
because that's how i've learned to play.having the cue touching the chest/chin makes me feel if the cue is online or not.if i move my chin up slightly then my chest contact feels awkward and messed up too.
Not to mention that once you find your correct vision centre, you can rely on the feeling of a certain part of the chin to make sure you have your vision centre over the cue every single shot.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my. How low do you have to go to locate center ball? I get down pretty low but not so low that my chin rests on the shaft and becomes an impediment. I guess to each his own but it just makes no sense to me to have anything touch the shaft other than the fingers of my bridge.
We come from different playing backgrounds, clearly. If you are happy with how you play then fair enough, but don't knock something you haven't given a proper chance.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We come from different playing backgrounds, clearly. If you are happy with how you play then fair enough, but don't knock something you haven't given a proper chance.

I'm not knocking it. As I said, to each their own. I tried it last night and I found it was just one more thing to concentrate on and it threw my stroke off. I am trying to simplify every aspect of my game. I'm a big fan of not overthinking and I have found that as you get better at the game it can get more complicated if you let it. I really don't care if you choose to run the shaft along your forehead if it makes you feel comfortable.

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK so, stubble + chin on cue = discomfort. I've experienced it, and soon learned not to shave too close. The stubble is just the start of what I'm assuming is your problem. Just thank your lucky stars you aren't using an ash shift, the grain snags like a beach.

I'm guessing the stubble is causing you a bit of discomfort, which in turn causes you to flinch ever so slightly. Because of this you kind of force the cue up into the chin as your head tries to move away from it to avoid the discomfort and you end up sort of straining the neck muscles. All movements are very minute but can make the world of difference.

Some players use varying amounts of chin pressure on the cue, and it can change over time as we get lazier we tend to rest the chin on the cue instead of using the chin as a guide. A former world class snooker player called Dott used to put a lot of pressure onto the cue, so much so he would player with a plaster (band aid) on his chin.

I could be way of base with you prediction, it could be something to do with a change in your cue action. If your elbow doesn't drop then as you reach the end of the follow through the cue raises up, and if you try to fight against it with added chin pressure this can also cause neck strain.

My advice? Don't play through any neck pain. Pack up and rest until you feel better. It simply isn't worth hurting yourself.

thanks for the info pidge.thankfully yesterday i didn't feel this vibration on the cue.i did feel a little irritation on my chin in the beginning but nothing to worry about as it went away as i continued playing.i cleaned my shaft and also put some powder on it so maybe that helped too.my facial hair grow back very quickly anyway so i shouldn't have a problem in a couple of days.as for the chin pressure i feel like if the pressure is very light,my chest contact isn't the same and doesn't help as much to keep the cue online.

btw,i've fixed the cue from going offline and the problem was with my initial set up/back foot position.now i can hit the cb exactly where i want most of the times but i still need a lot of work to perfect my stroke.

Last edited:

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure philly is going to comd out and say he's been playing for 50 years, which would explain one thing. But what I don't get is how he could seem so clueless to the form of running the cue on ones chin as though the OP just invented it all on his own. And the next was trying something new for who knows how many shots and again being surprised that he did adapt to it instantly. Like that's how that part goes also.

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
yeah i had this problem in the past too when i had a lot of facial hair but this only happened with my old cue and it doesn't happen anymore because the joint of my new cue is different.but this is the first time i run into this problem with the vibration and it's starting to worry me

I had this problem constantly with my 2 piece snooker cue, and then went out and purchased a 3/4 cue instead which solved the problem. Some how, my regular player I use for 8 ball never had the issue.

Though, I found the best solution is just to grow out a full beard. Joints only like the little guys, not the long ones.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure philly is going to comd out and say he's been playing for 50 years, which would explain one thing. But what I don't get is how he could seem so clueless to the form of running the cue on ones chin as though the OP just invented it all on his own. And the next was trying something new for who knows how many shots and again being surprised that he did adapt to it instantly. Like that's how that part goes also.

Just saying it doesn't work for me. Playing in a tournament tonight at my home poolroom and I'll watch the players to see if anyone is chinning the cue stick. There will be several A players there and I'll ask around too. Yeah you're right I have been playing a while off and on. Long enough to know that we over complicate the game. Like I say run the stick along your forehead if it works for you. Should be interesting tonight asking around. Thanks for putting the thought in my head. And by the way there are are about 50 different aiming systems, Do you think I should try them all? I'm good with whatever works for you. Live and let live, ya know.

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious to know what the OP's skill level is, if he doesn't mind sharing.
Other than that i've never heard of the chin/cue thing on the break
i'm a d player.but the past couple of weeks i've fixed a technical problem which caused the cue to go offline & i think i'm close to c level now.
yesterday i was breaking with the chin just off the cue (or barely touching it) and i noticed that it made no difference for me i was breaking the same chin on the cue or not.but i only do that on break/jump shots as i don't think i will ever be able to play well with chin/chest off the cue for all the other shots but that's just me

Last edited:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i'm a d player.but the past couple of weeks i've fixed a technical problem which caused the cue to go offline & i think i'm close to c level now.
yesterday i was breaking with the chin just off the cue (or barely touching it) and i noticed that it made no difference for me i was breaking the same chin on the cue or not.

Keep working at it Z. Hit a million balls and make sure you play people better than you. Best way to learn. Ask questions. Hope you're playing 9 footers in poolrooms.

z0nt0n3r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep working at it Z. Hit a million balls and make sure you play people better than you. Best way to learn. Ask questions. Hope you're playing 9 footers in poolrooms.
thanks for the encouragement.i will keep improving and one thing is for certain,i won't give up playing.
yes i only play on 9 footers and a bit of snooker occasionally.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saying it doesn't work for me. Playing in a tournament tonight at my home poolroom and I'll watch the players to see if anyone is chinning the cue stick. There will be several A players there and I'll ask around too. Yeah you're right I have been playing a while off and on. Long enough to know that we over complicate the game. Like I say run the stick along your forehead if it works for you. Should be interesting tonight asking around. Thanks for putting the thought in my head. And by the way there are are about 50 different aiming systems, Do you think I should try them all? I'm good with whatever works for you. Live and let live, ya know.

Philly really glad to see you didn't blow this out of proportion. You won't find many if any people that do the chin method, this is something you will find in newer player, the ones who didn't grow up H.A.M.B and are caught up in every single thing that comes out (this is a hit or miss topic there, the new school vs old school). The other players you'll find this in is Indian players or Euros. Make no mistake the best cueist in the world "Snooker" player all use this method, Americans are not fond of the snooker stance. Some players have even modified it, like Appelton oh yea and myself. I've always gotten down very low on the cue but never did he chin thing for an length of time that counts but it's dame close.

Z i'm glad that you're seeing progress, just be honest with it.
i.e. Since my change i've been viewed as a different player. I had a good 2-3 months of solid play before my first bad day, I then decided to see how fast I can come out of it (challenges that I set for myself: how long can i stay in the zone and how fast I can recover). Well it took me a day and a half to come out and i've been strong since. Last night I started in the slump and game out of it almost in the snap of a finger, but don't ask me how, all i know is that instead of breaking the balls "playing the ghost" i started just throwing them out and BAM! I was now running out or running balls where I couldn't make 2 balls or sometimes 1 before.

Philly take a look at Garrett Potts on youtube if you haven't

Lou Loulacy

Registered
I sometimes make contact with my chin. It seems to be more stable having a 3rd contact point. Ideally the stroke should be perfectly level like the cue is moving through a tube. The 3rd contact point can help to identify if your stroke arm is rising or falling at the end of your backstroke.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk