Clean balls

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watching streaming pool in Asia somewhere and they put 11 (tenballs + cue ball) on a towel and rubbed a little paste like car wax on each one. Then proceeded to shake balls in the towel. After less than a minute rolled out the shiny balls and played. Been around playing 65 years and never saw that method.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watching streaming pool in Asia somewhere and they put 11 (tenballs + cue ball) on a towel and rubbed a little paste like car wax on each one. Then proceeded to shake balls in the towel. After less than a minute rolled out the shiny balls and played. Been around playing 65 years and never saw that method.
While I'm at it same viewing after rack of balls a thin strip of plastic 2" by 1/4 wide placed under 1 ball till rack is broken. It's kept under a rail for future use. Any ideas.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I'm at it same viewing after rack of balls a thin strip of plastic 2" by 1/4 wide placed under 1 ball till rack is broken. It's kept under a rail for future use. Any ideas.
Sounds like they are trying to keep from wearing the cloth out at the spot. In a commercial environment that is the first to wear.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
The plastic, as others have mentioned, is to save the cloth at break impact point.

The cleaning method sounds like black magic, and I suspect goats were sacrificed.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watching streaming pool in Asia somewhere and they put 11 (tenballs + cue ball) on a towel and rubbed a little paste like car wax on each one. Then proceeded to shake balls in the towel. After less than a minute rolled out the shiny balls and played.
I would be hesitant to use this method since it would tend to wear the balls quicker. I definitely wouldn’t clean a good set in that manner, maybe a practice set.

mrpiper

Registered
I like for the balls to be clean when I play. Simply because they always play CONSISTENTLY. I change out the balls at least weekly, and sooner if there is a lot of play. Each time they need to be cleaned, or weekly at least, I clean the outgoing set and put them away as I put a fresh set on the table. I use a cleaner machine, but hand cleaning with Aramith cleaner or other brand is certainly as good or better, I just prefer to toss them in the machine and go back to the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like for the balls to be clean when I play. Simply because they always play CONSISTENTLY. I change out the balls at least weekly, and sooner if there is a lot of play. Each time they need to be cleaned, or weekly at least, I clean the outgoing set and put them away as I put a fresh set on the table. I use a cleaner machine, but hand cleaning with Aramith cleaner or other brand is certainly as good or better, I just prefer to toss them in the machine and go back to the table.
I just lookd up 'anal retentive' in the dictionary and it said 'See Piper'. ;) You actually change sets of balls weekly? Do you ever play in a poolroom or does the mere thought give you hives? ;)

mrpiper

Registered
I just lookd up 'anal retentive' in the dictionary and it said 'See Piper'. ;) You actually change sets of balls weekly? Do you ever play in a poolroom or does the mere thought give you hives? ;)
I suspected you might be the type who would prefer dirty balls. :)
Over the years, I have accumulated 15 or so sets and I like them all so I play them all and switch out regularly. It just makes the table more fun. Pool halls are fine, there just isn't one within an hour of here.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Does not sound like that would clean them as much as polish them up with the paste. I would think they would slide pretty funny with this method with way too much draw and spinning in place, not as much l/r english grab.