Cleaning and Refinishing...

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
I have a cue here (it's mine...) that is really dirty (butt and shaft). It's a Les Blevins Sneaky, with natural phenolic collars (.250") at the joint, and a .625" natural phenolic butt cap.

I'll need to replace all of the phenolic, the ferrule (probably will go with Ivor-x), clean the pin up.

But i have come to one problem, i've tried different things to try to get it clean (all of the chalk out, i've even tried that magic eraser thingy) but all to no avail, it seems that whoever had this originally, never cleaned it, and now it's deep lol...

I've attached some pics, and hopefully somebody can give me an idea of what to use to get this thing back as close to white as possible...

The pics don't show how dirty it really is, it's much worse lol...

Thanks,

Jon

000_0146.jpg

000_0147.jpg

000_0150.jpg

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Joseph Cues said:
You tried denatured alcohol?
I'm pretty sure i have, i don't have anymore here, i'll have to get some more, only had a small amount.

I'll give it a try again, along with something my dad recommended, but i can't remember what it is called...

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. It hits/plays like a dream, that (for me) is strange as it's a slim butt, joint is .820...

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
BiG_JoN said:
I'll give it a try again, along with something my dad recommended, but i can't remember what it is called...

Thanks,

QUOTE]
Grampa's old cough medicine?
P.S. It hits/plays like a dream, that (for me) is strange as it's a slim butt, joint is .820
Err, good wood? .820? That's Bill Hagan alley. He made em thin but hit a ton. Bill was kidnapped by the UFO's. He's nowhere to be found.
He made some nice hittin' sticks in AZ.

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Joseph Cues said:
Err, good wood? .820? That's Bill Hagan alley. He made em thin but hit a ton. Bill was kidnapped by the UFO's. He's nowhere to be found.
He made some nice hittin' sticks in AZ.
Nope some wood cleaner from a guy that was on PBS lol, i'll try it on a scrap of wood, or an old house cue or something...

Must be good wood, i don't know what ferrule it is, instroke hard tip... Hits HARD, spins the ball great...

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BiG_JoN said:
I'm pretty sure i have, i don't have anymore here, i'll have to get some more, only had a small amount.

Thanks,

Jon

P.S. It hits/plays like a dream, that (for me) is strange as it's a slim butt, joint is .820...

Jon, Don't go through all the trouble of cleaning up that cue. Just price it real cheap and I'll take that nasty thing off your hands. (Les Blevins owner myself)

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
BiG_JoN said:
Nope some wood cleaner from a guy that was on PBS lol, i'll try it on a scrap of wood, or an old house cue or something...

Must be good wood, i don't know what ferrule it is, instroke hard tip... Hits HARD, spins the ball great...
SIMPLE GREEN?

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
sliprock said:
Jon, Don't go through all the trouble of cleaning up that cue. Just price it real cheap and I'll take that nasty thing off your hands. (Les Blevins owner myself)
Sure... I'll take seven and a half bills for it :D. Nah, it's not for sale :) I've only seen mine, two different ones on ebay, one is on there now Ebay Blevins , and the one that was on Dick Abbots site, and that is it lol... must all be going overseas...

Show us your Blevins... If you can...

Thanks,

Jon

miah g.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BiG_JoN said:
Sure... I'll take seven and a half bills for it :D. Nah, it's not for sale :) I've only seen mine, two different ones on ebay, one is on there now Ebay Blevins , and the one that was on Dick Abbots site, and that is it lol... must all be going overseas...

Show us your Blevins... If you can...

Thanks,

Jon

i just sold an 8 point blevins recently. they are very nice cues. i have a guy that wants to sell a maple blevins cue with 2 shafts. maple front and rear with wrap. cue has a roll to it and needs some work. pm me if interested.

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
miah g. said:
i just sold an 8 point blevins recently. they are very nice cues. i have a guy that wants to sell a maple blevins cue with 2 shafts. maple front and rear with wrap. cue has a roll to it and needs some work. pm me if interested.
If it's not straight, i wouldn't bother lol, unless it's really (and i mean, REALLY) economically priced, one of those, "it would cost you more to fix it, than you can get out of it now" kinda deals, i might think about it lol...

Thanks,

Jon