Construction of sharp points

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read a cue review on azbilliards, and the person described how the points on his cue were constructed. Only one side of a veneer actually reached the point. The other veneer was sliced off below the point. You can see that method of construction in the following image:

points1.jpeg

The innermost black point where the color is still deep black, the point ends centered in the middle of the white veneers, and from the tip of that deep black point there is a lighter black line that angles to the left. That line is where the left white veneer was sliced off. The white veneer on the right continues all the way up to form the white point. At the tip of the white point, once again you can see a black line angling left, which is where the green veneer was sliced off. Up higher, you can see the same thing with the orange veneers.

Up close, that construction method makes the points like like they veer to the left. What other methods are used to construct sharp points? Are some veneers mitered at the point, so that each veneer is a mirror image of the other veneer? Do different construction methods imply better quality?

Thank you

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read a cue review on azbilliards, and the person described how the points on his cue were constructed. Only one side of a veneer actually reached the point. The other veneer was sliced off below the point. You can see that method of construction in the following image:

View attachment 575604

The innermost black point where the color is still deep black, the point ends centered in the middle of the white veneers, and from the tip of that deep black point there is a lighter black line that angles to the left. That line is where the left white veneer was sliced off. The white veneer on the right continues all the way up to form the white point. At the tip of the white point, once again you can see a black line angling left, which is where the green veneer was sliced off. Up higher, you can see the same thing with the orange veneers.

Up close, that construction method makes the points like like they veer to the left. What other methods are used to construct sharp points? Are some veneers mitered at the point, so that each veneer is a mirror image of the other veneer?

Thank you
The method in your picture looks like the overlapped method in which a square in basically wrapped then split to get two points. The key to the equation is keeping everything flat.
Ex.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then there's mitered. There are a lot of ways to achieve this but the same basics usually apply. I did my first miters on a jig using a flush cut router. Now, I use a table saw.
Ex.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the square method easier to construct than the mitered method?
It falls under a different discipline. It is not as easy to keep everything flat as most people think. It is a very involved process. The points in the first post were destined to fail because the square of the inner point wasn't flat to begin with. That's why the tip of the inner point is gone.

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flat means flat with sharp corners.

Attachments

• IMG_20200409_154911.jpg
    IMG_20200409_154911.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_20200409_154956.jpg
    IMG_20200409_154956.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 138

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On mitered veneers you can also lose the tips of the inner points if the cavity of the veneers doesn't let the inner points sit correctly.
There's A LOT to this wood puzzle stuff.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good observations, there's a tendency to think overlap type of points are easier. As Mike mentioned above it's different processes and if done well...the results are comparable although most of us end up mitering :)

Mario

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good observations, there's a tendency to think overlap type of points are easier. As Mike mentioned above it's different processes and if done well...the results are comparable although most of us end up mitering :)

Mario
I do both methods. Overlapped is a lot of fun.
But.......
More time, a lot more material and definately more patience.