Cory Deuel's Idea for a tournament format

jjinfla

Banned
Cory Deuel was pushing an idea for a new tournament format this weekend. His idea is that players get assigned tables, play a short race, then the loser moves to the next table. Then at the end of a 3 day tournament the player with the best won loss record would be the winner.

That way players would not be eliminated the first day and would get more for their entry fee.

Also, stats would be generated on each player showing his winning percentage. It would be a true representation of how good a player is because he would have to go up against all the players in the tournament, not just the hard ones, or just the easy ones, which often happens in a draw.

We actually do that where I live with our 8-ball tournament. We play everyone once or twice and the one with the most wins gets the money. And we also keep stats on the won loss record which makes it easy to handicap everyone.

Of course it is a lot more work for the TD. And of course, maybe some of the weaker players look forward to getting a good draw and not having to play the better players the first few rounds.

Jake

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Wouldn't this be a "Round Robin" format? Where each player plays all the players in the tournament once and best winning % is the winner. Same thing right? I use this format often and it's what most players like! (at least where I'm playing at now)

Zim

Last edited:

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right Zim, it is a Round Robin format. The only problem with Round Robin formats is it invites "Strange Things". If a player has a very poor win %, he can tell he has no chance of winning the tournament. He is easily tempted to make $ "Any Way He Can". I have seen this happen too many times. This is why most TD's have gone with the Double Elemination format. If you lose a match, you still have a chance to make it through the losers side and win it all.

I'm sure this doesn't happen in your tourneys Zim but it happens in big time Round Robin formats.

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
It's also a problem if someone (playerA) in the round-robin tourny 'quits'. Then this affects everyone else who hasn't played player A.

Even if you use winning percentage instead of matches won, it has it's problems.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
so it's like a round robin. i've always like that. however,,,,,,,,

i think you will have to put the premier players front and center, and all together.

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Eastern Candian 9-ball Championships is round robin, then it moves on to double elimination.

Hemi mentioned about people "dumping" matches. If we find out someone dumped a match, we ban them for 2 years. This seems to have kept them honest. We have the biggest tournament in east coast Canada, with the biggest prize payout. So they don't want to risk getting banned.

Kent Mc.

I

instroke

I played in a weekly tournament in Backnang, Germany that I thought had the best round robin format I have seen.

The players were divided into as equal groups as possible. Mostly it was 5 or six players per group with four groups. The best two players from each group advanced to a single elimination final round and the eight players were randomly drawn. The group races were to three and the single elimination matches were to five.

The tournament always played eight places. It started at 8:00PM and was usually over by midnight. Everyone got lot's of pool in - no waiting around and the last eight got paid. I personally think that this is THE best way to have tournaments. Short of a full field round robin this type of format really evens out the rolls and lets the best players through.

John