Cracked/Scratched Ferrule

TrevorB

Registered
Quick question for the experts here. I'm just a hobbyist home player, 1 year table owner.

One of my shaft ferrules seems to be scratched and or cracked. I can feel both the horizontal and vertical scratches/cracks (see pics) with my finger nail, but have no way to know if they go thru the ferrule material to the tenon.

Should I look to replace the ferrule right away? I don't notice any difference in the hit, but I'm prob not good enough at the game to feel much anyway.

For what its worth, this is a Dale Perry Ebay $100 special with the Stage IV shaft.

What would you do? Also, any cue repair suggestions for central Indiana?

Thanks, Trevor

Attachments

• 307B9476-6288-4A98-AEE6-4DB5AC1F534B.jpeg
    307B9476-6288-4A98-AEE6-4DB5AC1F534B.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 6CB6B5C0-C509-4086-B8E8-B2FD00D068A0.jpeg
    6CB6B5C0-C509-4086-B8E8-B2FD00D068A0.jpeg
    209 KB · Views: 141

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
They look like scratches but do you know how they got there? I can’t imagine getting those and not knowing. The straight one could be from stress.

TrevorB

Registered
Looks like a scratch, wet a napkin and try cleaning the ferrule and see what's left.

If it's not too deep it may be able to be buffed out.
It cleans up fine, what would be the best material to buff it out? It seems chalk fills in the scratches pretty quick.

TrevorB

Registered
They look like scratches but do you know how they got there? I can’t imagine getting those and not knowing. The straight one could be from stress.
I wish I knew, a few others have used the cue also, possibly kids without my knowledge also!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It cleans up fine, what would be the best material to buff it out? It seems chalk fills in the scratches pretty quick.

It's going to be hard if you don't have access to a lathe but generally you can get away with using a regular cue cleaner and wax combo.

I'm sure others will chime in for better solutions if it's too deep for that too fix, I have some on my ferrules and I just deal with them because I don't want to reduce the diameter of the ferrule.

TrevorB

Registered
Magic Eraser is your friend right now. Use denatured alcohol and try to keep it from getting on the tip.

Thanks. I’ve cleaned it a few times with the Magic eraser, does a good job. Haven’t tried with denatured alcohol though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once had a piece of chalk that had a small sharp contaminant surface near the front of the chalk. I think it was a metal chip but could have been a piece of glass or hard stone chip. It scratched a couple of ferrules on my cues and I found it by sticking my finger in the hole the tip formed in the chalk. Looked a lot like that.

Now I frequently stick my finger in the chalk to see if there are any chips in there. Have not found any more chips.

It was a piece of Master's chalk by the way,

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I'm getting some straight, short scratches on my ferrule parallel to the length of it as if a small diamond is hiding somewhere on my table and scratching it on perhaps draw shots.

I've never had that happen before and I've played a lot.

I used some 600 to soften the edges so chalk doesn't stick in them so much.

Jeff Livingston

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plain toothpaste is a mild abrasive that cleans ferrules up nicely. It is also great on car headlights when they start to get a little foggy too.

I have also used Mothers Cleaner paste wax. Cleans up ferrules nicely and will also help it stay clean.

Just use some paper towels and work carefully. If the scratches are really deep a lathe may help do a better job.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I’ve cleaned it a few times with the Magic eraser, does a good job. Haven’t tried with denatured alcohol though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Magic eraser with rubbing alcohol will clean most all ferrule discolorations. After the ferrule is completed clean, if you still have a scratch but not a full through crack in the ferrule you can fill in the scratch with a very very thin layer of crazy glue. let the crazy glue fully cure for 24 hours and then buff the ferrule with 2000 grit paper followed by a microfiber cloth buffing.

Cover the entire sides and top of your leather tip with painters tape during this entire process.

If you have a full through ferrule crack then it must be replaced- I use Muellers Cue Repair mail order repairs for this type of repair - look on the website if necessary. They are in Nebraska and offer every ferrule possible for a Dale Perry cue.

Quick question for the experts here. I'm just a hobbyist home player, 1 year table owner.

One of my shaft ferrules seems to be scratched and or cracked. I can feel both the horizontal and vertical scratches/cracks (see pics) with my finger nail, but have no way to know if they go thru the ferrule material to the tenon.

Should I look to replace the ferrule right away? I don't notice any difference in the hit, but I'm prob not good enough at the game to feel much anyway.

For what its worth, this is a Dale Perry Ebay $100 special with the Stage IV shaft.

What would you do? Also, any cue repair suggestions for central Indiana?

Thanks, Trevor
I had the same. Buffed it out with 600 grit sand paper. Didn't go away completely but hardly noticeable. Chalk makes it look worse than it is.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
if it doesnt go away then either just play with it or if it bothers you send it out for a new one. it isnt too expensive.
also maybe buy a second shaft. good to have just for this reason.