Cue ball weighed a ton

CoolChicky

Registered
I played one pocket with a pro caliber player the other night. I tried to move a couple of balls from his pocket-- not a really difficult shot if I execute. I stroked the the cue ball like I was a scared little girl! I swear the cue ball seemed like it was made out of mush or something because it moved about a quarter of the speed it needed to. It was such a pathetic shot -- almost funny really. The cue ball seems so much heavier when I play this guy.

Playing against the table in one pocket sometimes just doesn't work for me. I end up playing my opponent's ability too. When I play against a superior player I find I have to execute near perfection which puts added pressure on me. I know I should try to play against an inferior opponent with the same intensity but I just don't. And without the added pressure I can execute just fine. But, then, I know an inferior player isn't going to go 8 and out from just about anywhere.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
CoolChicky said:
I played one pocket with a pro caliber player the other night. I tried to move a couple of balls from his pocket-- not a really difficult shot if I execute. I stroked the the cue ball like I was a scared little girl! I swear the cue ball seemed like it was made out of mush or something because it moved about a quarter of the speed it needed to. It was such a pathetic shot -- almost funny really. The cue ball seems so much heavier when I play this guy.

Playing against the table in one pocket sometimes just doesn't work for me. I end up playing my opponent's ability too. When I play against a superior player I find I have to execute near perfection which puts added pressure on me. I know I should try to play against an inferior opponent with the same intensity but I just don't. And without the added pressure I can execute just fine. But, then, I know an inferior player isn't going to go 8 and out from just about anywhere.

Ummm....you say PRO CALIBER? You know an old trick of the road players is to bring their own cueball and substitute it for the house ball? Who got the balls?

Terry<just a thought.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
reminds me i have to purchase one of the funny cueballs and eightballs that are unleveled lol.

sneaky_pete

Registered
Did it happen to be a blue dot ball? I'm not sure on the weight but many people believe they are a little heavier than a red dot.

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without weighing the blue dot (or circle) cueball, it's tough to say if it's heavier. Perhaps that cueball has a higher coefficient of friction than its red circle counterpart. In other words it may be made of a material that "sticks" to the cloth more; it doesn't move as easily as other cueballs.

And yes, BEWARE OF THE CUEBALL HUSTLE. Always bring your own cueball and preferably a red circle one.

sneaky_pete

Registered
Although it would be kinda sad for someone to bring their own oddly weighted CB just to hustle some money outta you. I know some people are that money hungry but its pretty sad to have to learn to play with special cue ball just to hustle a few $$$.

CoolChicky

Registered
kokopuffs said:
Always bring your own cueball and preferably a red circle one.

Actually, I do. I bring a red circle Aramith. I also have a Centennial blue dot which responds a bit differently than the Aramith. Good point though.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
sneaky_pete said:
Did it happen to be a blue dot ball? I'm not sure on the weight but many people believe they are a little heavier than a red dot.

I'm sure you mean circle not dot.

The red circle is usually the Aramith Pro ball, and it is made from a slightly different compound than the other balls including the blue circle cue ball. The red circle ball is made from "carom ball resin" as the manufacturer calls it.

However, there are many red circle cue balls that are NOT the same ball. I've seen the circle as slightly darker. Buyers beware.

The blue dot cueball is the old Brunswick Centennial cueball, pre-80's. The blue circle is the current Brunswick Centennial cueball.

The red dot is normally the Dynamo Red Dot bar table cue ball, one of the heaviest regular diameter cue balls in existence.

Fred

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
This brings up an interesting point...

When we used to play one pocket back home, in Starkville, we would always switch to a darker ball as I recall that was heavier. For the life of me I can't remember if it was a red circle or what. I do know it was darker color, almost a creme color. It was heavier and did indeed move slower, but much easier to control IMO. When we would play 9 ball we would swap back to the black dot cueball. Now that I do remember.

Shorty

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To All:

Just remember that a quality cueball will cost above $13.00 or so. Without looking at what's new in the marketplace, I'm thinking of the red circle and blue circle cueballs, the blue circle costing more than the red circle.

And beware of cheap imitations.

The motivation for all of this is that I remember playing at a combination pool hall and bowling alley where half of the cueballs were snooker cueballs and the owner didn't seem to care - until someone built a real pool hall just around the corner from the bowling alley.

Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Jeesh ... This is funny ...

You guys really feel like a pro caliber player
is going to switch cue balls on a girl (no offense),
so he can beat her at 1 hole. That is really funny.
Since you didn't say you were playing for money,
i assume it was for free.
More than likely, she was just playing scared, knowing the pro could get out if she missed.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I weighed the Aramith TV cue-ball with the measles brand new, and it weighed 168 grams. Most of the aramith standard balls weigh in around 166 gram, the cueball sometimes weighing as little as 160 grams on the worn out racks. I tried it because I bought my own cue-ball, glad I did. We don't have a tv or pro cup set, but since the cue-ball weighs 168 I suspect the rest will weigh the same when new. I also weighed a set of pro-cup carom balls, they weighed 204, 205 and 206 grams. Seems 1% tolerance is acceptable. When we switch from the worn-out cueball to my new cue-ball you can really tell the difference though.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
You guys really feel like a pro caliber player
is going to switch cue balls on a girl (no offense),
so he can beat her at 1 hole. That is really funny.
Since you didn't say you were playing for money,
i assume it was for free.
More than likely, she was just playing scared, knowing the pro could get out if she missed.

True Scott,

CoolChicky hasn't said though. Maybe CoolChicky gets intimidated by her opponent being a pro.
Heeeeey....CoolChicky brings her own ball??? What's up wit dat. CoolChicky are you a pool hustler youself?:D

Terry

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
<<I weighed the Aramith TV cue-ball with the measles brand new, and it weighed 168 grams.>>

Double dave:

How much does the measles ball weigh?
How much does the Aramith tv cue ball weigh?
Is the latter the red circle cue ball?

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
I'm sure you mean circle not dot.

The red circle is usually the Aramith Pro ball, and it is made from a slightly different compound than the other balls including the blue circle cue ball. The red circle ball is made from "carom ball resin" as the manufacturer calls it.

However, there are many red circle cue balls that are NOT the same ball. I've seen the circle as slightly darker. Buyers beware.

The blue dot cueball is the old Brunswick Centennial cueball, pre-80's. The blue circle is the current Brunswick Centennial cueball.

The red dot is normally the Dynamo Red Dot bar table cue ball, one of the heaviest regular diameter cue balls in existence.

Fred

There is a blue dot (not circle) cueball that is heavy so that it will return in some old style coin op tables by weight not by size or magnet. That is what is known as the "mud ball". Present day Dynamo tables however use the same magnetic system as Valley. I have also seen red dot (not circle) cueballs that are "mud balls" but there is also red dot (not circle) regular weighted cueballs.

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My league team played in a bar which had terrible cue balls. They were dull looking and pitted. And one cue ball would play differently from the other.

So what we did was to buy two Arimith tournament magnetic cue balls and donated them to the bar. The bar owner was too busy to do this himself and did not know where to buy them.

Anyway both tables then played the same and this made a *lot* of players happy.

Also one of the old balls had lost some of its magnetism, so it would sometimes return with the object balls. Then the bartender would need to open up table to get the ball out. The new balls solved this problem, so also made bartenders happy.

CoolChicky

Registered
Tbeaux said:
True Scott,

CoolChicky hasn't said though. Maybe CoolChicky gets intimidated by her opponent being a pro.
Heeeeey....CoolChicky brings her own ball??? What's up wit dat. CoolChicky are you a pool hustler youself?:D

Terry

No, I just don't like the action of small cue balls. And the blue dot that I have is from an older set of Centennials Cornerman. Good observation. I believe Brunswick temporarily stopped making the Centennial balls in the early 80's, then started making them again due to demand.

Intimidated by an opponent? Never. Respectful? Definitely!

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
kokopuffs said:
<<I weighed the Aramith TV cue-ball with the measles brand new, and it weighed 168 grams.>>

Double dave:

How much does the measles ball weigh?
How much does the Aramith tv cue ball weigh?
Is the latter the red circle cue ball?

The measles ball is the Aramith tv cue ball. The official name is "Super Aramith Pro-Cup cue ball". So it weighs 168 grams. 166 for standard aramith balls, and 160 for worn out aramith standard cue balls. I will get the rest of my pro-cup set next week. I will weigh them.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
CoolChicky said:
No, I just don't like the action of small cue balls. And the blue dot that I have is from an older set of Centennials Cornerman. Good observation. I believe Brunswick temporarily stopped making the Centennial balls in the early 80's, then started making them again due to demand.

Intimidated by an opponent? Never. Respectful? Definitely!

HMMMMMmmm...then we (the speculation experts) need more info.
1)Was the cloth nappier than you're used to, what was the room humidity like?
2) DID your opponent have the opportunity to sub his ball?
3) Could you be more than respectful of this player(the ole weak knees syndrome)?
4) Have you experienced any kinds of weakness lately(get to a dr., some bad flus and such around)?
5) Could you have been mentally out of your normal game for some reason (distraction)?

Terry

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
Cool Chicky can play! If anyone should be intimidated, it should be the 'Pro Caliber' player she is talking about, since he is the only one with something to lose. The tables at the place in question have tight pockets, are in disrepair, and the cueballs are all different, and smaller. The climate in the poolroom is what I suspect makes a difference. It can get cold and sticky in there.