Cue care?

djoverboard

Registered
So i am with out a pool table during the current quarantine and missing pool very much like many of you I am sure. I was thinking of cleaning my shafts and cues just general maintenance shape the tips etc. What products /techniques does everyone use/recommend for cue/shaft care ?

Dinko2222

Registered
cue care

I don't prefer shaft cleaning at all...I never clean my because like that wood pores are closed..
But since, I do tip installing to players in my town usually I use VILEDA MiraClean..
It is some kind of sponge..Wet it a bit and then polish the shaft..after that I dry it with
kitchen paper (only pure withe one)..Then I take nature piece of leather and polish it (it closes pores of wood)..

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So i am with out a pool table during the current quarantine and missing pool very much like many of you I am sure. I was thinking of cleaning my shafts and cues just general maintenance shape the tips etc. What products /techniques does everyone use/recommend for cue/shaft care ?

Magic eraser, 91% Isopropyl. Clean residue with paper towel and more alcohol. Air or blow dry then apply a drop of Turtle Wax Ice with folded paper towel. I don't shake the bottle so the solids don't get onto the shaft. What does is probably just silicone with proprietary carcinogens. Let dry, buff if you like , scuff tip (Porper slug looking thing is the best I've tried)
Throw back in case, find something else to do.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic Eraser has come out with magic eraser sheets - they make it easier to clean shafts and ferrule than the older Magic Eraser white blocks. I clean my shafts after EVERY session- so i just use 90% rubbing alcohol with a clean cloth- I find that Magic Eraser is only needed on shafts if they are NOT cleaned as often as after daily use. However, the magic eraser is great on cleaning those non ivory ferrules. Ivory ferrules seem to stay much cleaner.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have OCD about trying to keep my Cue Clean, when I got it I use Cue Wax on all wood surfaces. When the shaft get feeling funny it time to Cue Wax again. I honeslty let the Cue Wax sit 20 minutes, and buff with soft cotton cloth.

As out recreation center are close until they open? When? POOL DVD's is the only Pool I get.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This method works I have been using it since I saw it on the Forum. I take a magic eraser , I am getting the sheets next trip, dampen with 91% alcohol and wipe shaft down until clean. let dry about 10 minutes . Then I take a sheet of parchment paper and I fold it and rub the shaft up and down as fast as I can for a several seconds and it makes that shaft like glass , slick and then some and also seals it back. It does a fantastic job and makes that shaft slick as can be. I think the parchment paper has some sort of wax in it .

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This method works I have been using it since I saw it on the Forum. I take a magic eraser , I am getting the sheets next trip, dampen with 91% alcohol and wipe shaft down until clean. let dry about 10 minutes . Then I take a sheet of parchment paper and I fold it and rub the shaft up and down as fast as I can for a several seconds and it makes that shaft like glass , slick and then some and also seals it back. It does a fantastic job and makes that shaft slick as can be. I think the parchment paper has some sort of wax in it .
No wax in parchment paper. Using it on a cue is like using SUPER fine sanding films. If you wax after using it the shaft will be like glass. Plain 'ol brown sack paper(hard to find in these plastic days) works just as good.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I use car compound and then car polish on cue butt. like new shine.
shaft just wipe it down with a damp towel, dry and 5000 grit sand paper.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member

isopropyl alcohol on wood? seems like it would dry it out, have a sense that its a bad idea

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just dampen lightly and you just clean the shaft when need be, It takes the Blue chalk off, the reason I use alcohol is it evaporates quickly an does not leave the shaft wet for a long time. I read on here were a dealer does this every time he get's a used cue in. Do you think alcohol dries the shaft out more than water. The Parchment paper seems to really gloss up the shaft and make it slick.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the best wax to use on a shaft , will regular car wax work or should you use some special cue wax

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
You just dampen lightly and you just clean the shaft when need be, It takes the Blue chalk off, the reason I use alcohol is it evaporates quickly an does not leave the shaft wet for a long time. I read on here were a dealer does this every time he get's a used cue in. Do you think alcohol dries the shaft out more than water. The Parchment paper seems to really gloss up the shaft and make it slick.

it might take out oils that were transferred onto the shaft from hands, but it can also take out the natural oils the wood possesses. if it works it works, I wouldn't do it myself, but there's more knowledgeable people here that would know, and if they said its fine than its fine.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
isopropyl alcohol on wood? seems like it would dry it out, have a sense that its a bad idea

Wood workers do it to reveal figure and clean I suppose; doesn't raise the grain either. This matters especially when you're working a piece. Too much water will raise tiny hairs where you just sanded.
It's mostly superficial and evaporates quickly.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lighter fluid would clean really nice and not raise grain also , It has been recommended by high end Guitar Luthiers and works best to clean a guitar as it evaporates quickly .

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use pledge (small amount on clean cloth) every so often like once every couple weeks. But mostly I just wipe my shaft with a clean dry washcloth. Use Wax paper that u use in the kitchen to burnish. I don't recommend anyone use Magix eraser all the time (maybe once on a super filthy shaft.) Wash your hands every couple games. Keep your rails clean. No need for magic eraser ever. For the cues butt I use Mcguire's fine cut cleaner (light cut buffing compound) show car glaze. And then caranuba wax . (Do this maybe,twice a year. Keeps cue looking brand new.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
cues dont need waxing or cleaning unless you get gunk on them or something.
all a shaft needs is the dents taken out if you get them and the tip scuffed once in awhile until you change it out.
i have cues 50 plus years old and the shafts play fine in the natural state.