Cue coreing

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
If the handle is ebony (Gaboon) and using standard density (75 lbs/cubic ft.), boring a 5/8 hole 9 inches up into the ebony would give a weight reduction of 1.92 oz. I'm not saying this is a good idea, but that is how much weight would be taken out of the cue if the handle is indeed ebony. If a maple core was inserted for stability then the total weight reduction would only be about .8 oz.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

Last edited:

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the handle is ebony (Gaboon) and using standard density (75/cubic ft.), boring a 5/8 hole 9 inches up into the ebony would give a weight reduction of 1.92 oz. I'm not saying this is a good idea, but that is how much weight would be taken out of the cue if the handle is indeed ebony. If a maple core was inserted for stability then the total weight reduction would only be about .8 oz.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

Thanks Alan for the information, precisely what I needed to know.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear that.

I shoot with my Palmers daily, or almost daily.

I'd like to use it as a playing cue. It doesn't have a solid feel anymore, and makes a clicking sound when I hit the cue ball. I sent the to a cue repair shop, so they could check around the window, weight bolt and stainless joint, (I believe he cleaned and re-glued the joint). When I got it back, there was no change, so I gave up on it.
Do you have any idea of what might be the problem?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
If the handle is ebony (Gaboon) and using standard density (75 lbs/cubic ft.), boring a 5/8 hole 9 inches up into the ebony would give a weight reduction of 1.92 oz. I'm not saying this is a good idea, but that is how much weight would be taken out of the cue if the handle is indeed ebony. If a maple core was inserted for stability then the total weight reduction would only be about .8 oz.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

How can I find out more about this standard density you speak of

75lbs per cubic ft for ebony only?

Where can I learn more about the weight of different types of wood

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I use a custom program created by a member on AZ, it allows me to take the dimensions of a piece of wood and weight it to get the specific gravity of that piece as wood can vary quite a bit even by species and of course by moisture content. There are many databases on the internet about wood and their densities. Here is one example: http://www.wood-database.com/

Alan