Cue Extensions

paulcourville

Carolina Custom Shooter
Another observation from my visit to watch the Turning Stone tournament this weekend. A lot of players were using cue extensions. Shane had one on the bottom of his shooting cue. He seemed to take it off when he jumped, but put it back on after the jump shot. Jason Shaw had one on his shooting cue, and I think his was a mid-location extension. Billy Thorpe had a small one on the bottom of his shooting cue, and there were a few others that used them as well.
I realize that on 9 foot tables, these extensions help on those shots bordering on when you'd need to use the bridge, but leaving them on all the time makes me wonder if there is some other perceived advantage. Does the additional weight help? Balance adjustment maybe?
In BCAPL rules it indicates that the maximum weight of a cue is 25 ounces. When you add a cue extension is its weight added to the cue weight, as in I have a 20 ounce cue and I add a 6 ounce extension for a cue weight total of 26 ounces.. is this correct or is the extension not added in that way??

paulcourville

Carolina Custom Shooter
In BCAPL rules it indicates that the maximum weight of a cue is 25 ounces. When you add a cue extension is its weight added to the cue weight, as in I have a 20 ounce cue and I add a 6 ounce extension for a cue weight total of 26 ounces.. is this correct or is the extension not added in that way??

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not sure of the answer, but 6 ounces sounds quite heavy for an extension

WobblyStroke

Im 6'3" and love my extension. Moreso than improved mwchanics on stretch shots like have been mentioned, I really like the balance of the cue and being able to grip with my hand farther forward of the butt cap. A natural swings seems much easier to perform but this is almost certainly a feel preference thing. If I greatly prefer rhis feel Im sure others might as well so just for that reason we should be seeing these around a while.

Meanwhile, Earl has been spotted playing with a 70inch javelin recently. Innovators gonna innovate.