Cue ID Help - Adams, old or new?

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
I'm helping out a friend who's been given a few old cues ID and value them. (I hope this is the right forum, let me know if these cue ID help posts are supposed to go in the Sale/Wanted forum instead)

This cue is an Adams (from the Lion logo on the forearm) It has the initials "B S P" right next to the logo. As you can see from the photos it is reasonably fancy cue in that old 50's style, but I don't know if the cue itself is an old model or simply a newer cue made to look old fashioned. What does the "BSP" on the forearm signify, the initials of the owner or some kind of model ID?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• adams1.jpg
    adams1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,905
  • adams3.jpg
    adams3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,344
  • adams4.jpg
    adams4.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,106
  • adams2.jpg
    adams2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,078

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
I'm helping out a friend who's been given a few old cues ID and value them. (I hope this is the right forum, let me know if these cue ID help posts are supposed to go in the Sale/Wanted forum instead)

Most of us "cue worshippers " hang in the Cue Gallery section. The guys that actually make them reside here.

This cue is an Adams (from the Lion logo on the forearm) It has the initials "B S P" right next to the logo. As you can see from the photos it is reasonably fancy cue in that old 50's style, but I don't know if the cue itself is an old model or simply a newer cue made to look old fashioned. What does the "BSP" on the forearm signify, the initials of the owner or some kind of model ID?

Thanks for any input.

Dan,

They made a line called the "BSP" but I don't have any info on it.

They made so many different designs. I do not show this exact one in my catalogs, but it looks like a mid to late 1990's cue, pretty fancy. Unfortunately, Adam cues like this in the '97 series are not big money. Maybe $300 to $400 for one like this. The old early Adam cues from the 1970's are starting to gain a collector following from what I've seen.

My suggestion is to find the exact BSP model number and date by e-mailing Adam:

http://www.theadamcueco.com/

Then compare it to similar vintage and models in the Blue Book for a reasonable estimate.

Chris

Last edited:

rwomel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:

I was a dealer starting in the 70's for Adams cues in my sporting goods store. Started collecting them about 1974. Richard Helmstetter went to Japan about 1976 and started making the WJ series -(wood threaded joint) for Billiard (3 cushion) players. He also started to make so many models for 14.1 players and then the line moved to more of the regular 8 ball player types of today.

The cue is not in any of my old catalogs, but I do not have every one. Two things point to this cue being made in the circa 1976 thru 1984. First, the metal rings are thick. Second, the shaft joint is long, and fits deep into the butt joint collar. This was from his Balabuska design, and also the Steve Mizerak design. Later this type of joint was used in the various other designs he had. Some of the best hitting cues have this type of joint into a SS collar.

Generally speaking, the design "may" be considered a Level 4 or Level 5 grade, because of the inlay dots, and it appears to have 4 veneers on the points. (?). The closest models to look at, but are not the same, but are from the correct era are:
Level 6~~N/B-4 "Sabena" 98% - $ 550 90% - $ 460 70% - $ 350
Level 6~~N/B-6 "Lufthansa" 98% - $ 700 90% - $ 485 70% - $ 300
Level 6~~A/H-24 "Monaco" 98% - $ 575 90% - $ 425 70% - $ 350

Other models, like the A/H-26 "Monte Carlo" or the A/H-25 "St Moritz" are higher Level cues also, but the inlay dots, 4 veneer STYLE seems to mark this cue from this era.

The closest Model R/H-6 of todays models "seems" to be like this one, but my quess is backed up by the STYLE of multi round inlays from the years gone bye.

One last comment, The "BSP" may stand for "Billiard Straight Pool" as a Model designation--BUT this is a wild guess on my part. :D

Have fun with your research, I would like to know what you finally find out myself.

Been collecting Helmstetters for over 30 years now, it is a great cue line to aquire. Good Luck
RWOMEL

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Thanks. I followed a suggestion from Tate and emailed Adams themselves. They replied very promptly and even sent the question out to Japan for a detailed answer. This cue model was apparently made exclusively for the Japanese market which might explain why most US collectors have not seen one exactly like it.

Here's the information from Adams (Thanks Patty and Seth!)

"This cue was made by Adam Japan more than 10 years ago for Japanese Domestic market only. We made the design like Balabushka cue that time. Probably we made around 50 pieces.

In those days we made 2 lines of domestic market which were ASP and BSP.
ASP was 18 threads pin joint and Adam Special Pocket cue line and BSP was 14 threads pin joint and Balabushka joint Special Pocket cue line."

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
Thanks. I followed a suggestion from Tate and emailed Adams themselves. They replied very promptly and even sent the question out to Japan for a detailed answer. This cue model was apparently made exclusively for the Japanese market which might explain why most US collectors have not seen one exactly like it.

Here's the information from Adams (Thanks Patty and Seth!)

"This cue was made by Adam Japan more than 10 years ago for Japanese Domestic market only. We made the design like Balabushka cue that time. Probably we made around 50 pieces.

In those days we made 2 lines of domestic market which were ASP and BSP.
ASP was 18 threads pin joint and Adam Special Pocket cue line and BSP was 14 threads pin joint and Balabushka joint Special Pocket cue line."

That's amazing they went to so much trouble. Isn't it fantastic and rare when a company has both longevity and terrific customer service?

They really made a quality cue for the money. I bought an Adam cue new in 1984 with a Brazilian rosewood full splice handle and 4 veneered points and it was one of the most solid cues I've ever owned. I still have the cue.

Chris

Last edited: