Cue Order

You don't ever want to be 25-30 yards off the green. You want to be just around the green chipping, not pitching from an awkward distance. That is why the best players in the world lay up to a full club yardage.

Imagine playing pool being on the wrong side of every shot.

Consistently on the wro
 
Blanket statements like heavier or lighter in golf & pool just don't work. It truly is what works best for the individual and is all personal preference.

In golf the heavier head may be needed for a specific swing-weight or a shorter overall length. Again personal preference for what works best for the individual.
I agree that the best cue weight is dependent on the player.

Regarding golf, I'm not referring to one weight being better, more so on a study done where the effect the club head weight's had on distance was compared to the speed of the head had on distance.

In the long run it really doesn't matter all that much.
 
While I could agree partially with regards to weight having an effect on draw shots with all factors considered, I think we should also think what draw shot you are trying to accomplish. Is it finesse, power, slow, fast, short, long. From my experience, the weight helps on long power draw shots. Anyway, I became much more reliant on draw shots after I transitioned to an 11.8- 12mm tips.
I'm referring strictly to whether or not speed causes more spin on the ball. Dr Dave says it does, he's done the tests. Seems like common sense to me.
That's not to say every shot should be hit hard, in golf or pool. Control of how far it draws in pool is difficult and an asset, as is drawing it a table length when you need it.
 
I'm referring strictly to whether or not speed causes more spin on the ball. Dr Dave says it does, he's done the tests. Seems like common sense to me.
That's not to say every shot should be hit hard, in golf or pool. Control of how far it draws in pool is difficult and an asset, as is drawing it a table length when you need it.
speed? oh definitely as you try to offset the momentum of the cueball sliding backspin further.
 
Guys when I made this post I just wanted to share because I thought the interaction was humorous. If I decided to go with a different weight or something im certain Al would have obliged. I ended up agreeing with his suggestions because his sneaky petes are known to play very well and I dont mind having the cuemaker give his personal input. Al even made me an extra shaft with this cue for free because I also wanted one without a joint collar.
 
As far as a lighter cue being easier to draw in my opinion a lighter cue makes it easier to snap the wrist which will add spin. I've been able to draw the cue ball by only snapping my wrist and not moving my elbow/forearm. You can also get a good draw by following through the cue ball well, which a lighter cue wont help with.
 
You don't ever want to be 25-30 yards off the green. You want to be just around the green chipping, not pitching from an awkward distance. That is why the best players in the world lay up to a full club yardage.

Imagine playing pool being on the wrong side of every shot.
Sometimes on a par 5 you don’t reach the green on your 2nd shot and why settle for a birdie if you can putt for an eagle. My son just took up the game a year ago. There isn’t any par 5 he will play he can’t get to in 2. He hits a 3 wood 285-310 yds. His drives have reached 365 yds but 325-330 is common. When you already hit a golf ball farther than the average PGA pro on tour, there is no way on earth you are going to layup on any par 5 when it is easily reachable and sometimes you come up short when you go for it or else in a green side bunker.

There is one small caveat……it isn’t always straight and a fade can become a awful slice and a draw into a ugly hook.
That why he starts a series of 7 lessons next month so next year he’ll get a NCGA index. He is a big hit on the driving
range in San Diego launching 240 yards 5 irons. His game will be built on his driver, wood/ hybrid & his Volkey wedges.

You are right about being around the collar instead of the fairway but the difference is what you lie. He is a gorilla that
is learning to play golf. His driver swing speed is 118-121 mph. You don’t meet many golfers that exhibit that speed. So
he is going to learn to play a different game of golf than most mortals when you hit a golf ball as far as he does. He just needs to master his swing but boy oh boy, what a absolutely exciting student he’ll for his instructor when his lessons start next month. Just the sound of his swing is exciting but you can’t help but cheer when he hits a drive 350 yds.
 
I'm referring strictly to whether or not speed causes more spin on the ball. Dr Dave says it does, he's done the tests. Seems like common sense to me.
That's not to say every shot should be hit hard, in golf or pool. Control of how far it draws in pool is difficult and an asset, as is drawing it a table length when you need it.

On new cloth it takes very little to go a length and draw that length. You barely need to hit low. But if you need to zip the ball another trip down, now you need the speed and accuracy. You have to hammer the ball at the limit - essentially low gear. This is where the cue speed is crucial. Otherwise the force goes to center mass - basically an overstun shot.
 
Back
Top