cue question (not what you think)

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
So I know a titlist is an old Brunswick cue with veneered points.
A titlist conversion is the old Brunswick cue cut and a joint added to make a 2 piece.
A fancy titlist is the conversion that's been bedazzled with ivory or MOP pieces.

What's a tribute titlist?

Is it based on the colored veneers?

Also with the sneaky petes, its a bar room cue conversion to a two piece, then the fancies and so on.

Merry widow? What's that consist of?

I guess I'm just wanting to know more about what qualities makes a cue a different style.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
So I know a titlist is an old Brunswick cue with veneered points.
A titlist conversion is the old Brunswick cue cut and a joint added to make a 2 piece.
A fancy titlist is the conversion that's been bedazzled with ivory or MOP pieces.

What's a tribute titlist?

Is it based on the colored veneers?
yes
Also with the sneaky petes, its a bar room cue conversion to a two piece, then the fancies and so on.
yes
Merry widow? What's that consist of?
its a happy wife rid of her husband
I guess I'm just wanting to know more about what qualities makes a cue a different style.
what makes cars different from each company??

desertshark

Racks on racks on racks
Silver Member
Hahaha! Merry widow, good one trinacria!!

So the tribute titlist doesn't have anything to do with the construction of the cue? Like a full splice or half splice?

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Hahaha! Merry widow, good one trinacria!!

So the tribute titlist doesn't have anything to do with the construction of the cue? Like a full splice or half splice?

the veneers and traditionally its a full splice cue, which is what makes them so saught after. half splice cues are cored, which makes them hit like whatever wood they are cored with, mostly maple, so its like buying a kit car, it looks like a ferrari, but its really a toyota in there. of course its a little more than that, but essentially, you're buying a maple cue. (thats not a bad thing at all) so the full splice is really important. custom cues that are cored are still built better and the wood is cured properly, and the shaft is all important, so I wouldn't stray from customs, but from what ive understood so far is that full splice cues have a better feel and hit, which is why I have a titlist waiting to be converted. my choices so far are PFD studios if I want it somewhat fancy, RAT by ryan if I want a stacked leather wrap, treadway because you only hear good things or I might just hold on to it until the expo and shop around.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
half splice cues are cored, which makes them hit like whatever wood they are cored with, mostly maple
That is NOT a correct statement.

Half splice means that there is a joint (screwed/glued) between the handle and forearm section (the part with points). Not all half splices are cored, and in fact until about 10 years ago, not many were. Coring allows for some lighter or stronger wood to be used in the forearm, INSIDE something weaker or heavy.

Merry widow is a forearm with NO points. Just one single wood.