Cuetec with SST shaft for a beginner

Daimond

Long story short:
I am playing pool some month 1/2 times in week and now I am decided to buy a beginner/intermediate cue, just to not spare time for find a straight stick in the playing club each time. At first I am trying to buy Viking Valhalla VA231 (really like a look of this one) two times, but both times it came with defective joint - the connection of the plane parts of cue dont fit each other well. Besides of this our reseller sells this cue roughly for 105 USD instead of 79,99 USD, and for this price the quality is unacceptable for me.
So, I am decided to buy some cheap cue for this time and I want to try Cuetec Beginner/Cobra/Player with SST shaft (maple with fiberglass) and 6-layered Everest tip, in local stores we have it just for 40-45 USD. I have read a lot about this shafts and I know that they stays on its own side for peoples. Some peoples avoids them at all costs, some feels ok with them. I am playing once with SST shaft and its feels mostly ok for me. In the future, if I buy a new good cue I am planing to use Cuetec as my break cue. So,I have some questions:

Actual questions:
1) In my opinion Cuetec SST shafts has very hight cueball deflection and do proper spin is hard, but can the players do consistent follow/draw with it?
2) I am worried about the slickness of SST shafts, but never experienced this before. When it may to come? After some month of play or maybe it comes each play after some time? And how to solve the issue, without a playing glove?
3) Is 6-layered Everest a good tip to play with?
4) What can I use to clean the SST shaft? Can I use alcohol for this?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long story short:
I am playing pool some month 1/2 times in week and now I am decided to buy a beginner/intermediate cue, just to not spare time for find a straight stick in the playing club each time. At first I am trying to buy Viking Valhalla VA231 (really like a look of this one) two times, but both times it came with defective joint - the connection of the plane parts of cue dont fit each other well. Besides of this our reseller sells this cue roughly for 105 USD instead of 79,99 USD, and for this price the quality is unacceptable for me.
So, I am decided to buy some cheap cue for this time and I want to try Cuetec Beginner/Cobra/Player with SST shaft (maple with fiberglass) and 6-layered Everest tip, in local stores we have it just for 40-45 USD. I have read a lot about this shafts and I know that they stays on its own side for peoples. Some peoples avoids them at all costs, some feels ok with them. I am playing once with SST shaft and its feels mostly ok for me. In the future, if I buy a new good cue I am planing to use Cuetec as my break cue. So,I have some questions:

Actual questions:
1) In my opinion Cuetec SST shafts has very hight cueball deflection and do proper spin is hard, but can the players do consistent follow/draw with it?
2) I am worried about the slickness of SST shafts, but never experienced this before. When it may to come? After some month of play or maybe it comes each play after some time? And how to solve the issue, without a playing glove?
3) Is 6-layered Everest a good tip to play with?
4) What can I use to clean the SST shaft? Can I use alcohol for this?
Those shafts get sticky quik. Better to use a glove. Clean it with about anything. Damp paper towel then a dry one probably be best. CT says you can add a little dish soap to the water if it gets really dirty. The tip is fine.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with CueTec cues. Taken care of they will last for a long time.