Cutting down carbon fibre shaft at joint

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Hi,

i've got a "revo" shaft that measures .840, my "blue grass" butt measures .832 and i'd like the shaft reduced in size to match the butt.

Can this be done on the same equipment most cue makers have or is special equipment required?

Can someone hear do this and what would the cost be.....please PM replies with regards to cost.

Thanks, adam

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it is not like wood but if you are willing to take the risk it can be sanded. I believe most carbon fiber shafts are sanded to get them to that smooth surface that we like.
Use wet sandpaper, wear a mask and vacuum as sanding. The dust can be very unhealthy.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Hi,

i've got a "revo" shaft that measures .840, my "blue grass" butt measures .832 and i'd like the shaft reduced in size to match the butt.

Can this be done on the same equipment most cue makers have or is special equipment required?

Can someone hear do this and what would the cost be.....please PM replies with regards to cost.

Thanks, adam

If the shaft is tapered from the joint down, which it should be, then it can be cut shorter to meet the desired diameter with a new joint installed. However, the shaft will be a little shorter than it is now. A fix for that could be that the shaft is shortened a little more and then a longer joint section be installed to bring the shaft back to current length with desired diameter.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it is not like wood but if you are willing to take the risk it can be sanded. I believe most carbon fiber shafts are sanded to get them to that smooth surface that we like.
Use wet sandpaper, wear a mask and vacuum as sanding. The dust can be very unhealthy.

You may know something I don't but carbon fiber has a fairly thin wall thickness already. Even taking .004" could prove to be "fatal". This is a $500.00 shaft.

The best option here is to simply live with a .004" (.008" diametrically) rise in the joint from butt to shaft. Once you get it out of your head it won't affect your stroke or your game.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny side of the story is you're trying to get a perfect fit when there may be no perfect solutions. At the end of the day it will be your decision and your responsibility...
"Best the enemy of the good" ;)

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
THANKS for your replies, Based on your collective input the prudent coarse for me is to do nothing.

Stay healthy, adam