Cynergy vs Revo...

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why the Revo have less deflection than the Cynergy, ( profile, rigidity, endmass...)?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Endmass is the primary driver of deflection as i understand it
icbw

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Endmass is the primary driver of deflection as i understand it
icbw
Yes I know that, and everybody know that, but I would like to know the opinion of those who have looked into this specific case.

phreaticus

Why the Revo have less deflection than the Cynergy, ( profile, rigidity, endmass...)?
Hi, I can't directly answer your question, but this info might be slightly relevant.

I have two Cynergy 12.5 mm shafts. I replaced the original Cuetech factory 1/4" ferrules that they came with new 1/2" long ones made from Tomahawk material. I'm not exactly sure what material the Cuetech factory ones are made from (I've heard its ABS, but not sure), but I'd imagine that ABS & Tomahawk is pretty similar, both very, very light. In theory, whatever "endmass" from the ferrule was roughly doubled. The weight of the shafts didn't change, at least not discernibly on my digital scale.

I don't notice any change in performance. Then again, I'm a spin minimalist and don't really notice or worry about LD stuff too much.

Probably not helpful, but thought I'd share that tidbit.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are people who have dissected carbon shafts to understand them better, they can find out more, end mass is just one factor, the rigidity is part of end mass equation too.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Revo shaft are you using as a comparison? I'm guessing you are thinking of the 12.4mm one. it certainly has lover deflection than Cynergy. That beeing said why is deflection the only factor you'r looking at?

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What Revo shaft are you using as a comparison? I'm guessing you are thinking of the 12.4mm one. it certainly has lover deflection than Cynergy. That beeing said why is deflection the only factor you'r looking at?
12.4mm and my question is about deflection, do you known DEFLECTION

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look into cue shaft frequencies, and there is the last part of your quest. It is very important. A lot more than realised. Some have done shaft frequency testing and some shafts, both composite and wood can have a frequency that makes the tip hit the cue ball twice.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I did reply to your question about deflection, my question why is that your only concern? Cynergy doesn't have especially low deflection. The ferrule material is also way to soft. I would say Revo is a better shaft in every way. I don't like the feel on either though, I rather use Ignite which have low deflection and great fit and finish, and good feedback.

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I did reply to your question about deflection, my question why is that your only concern? Cynergy doesn't have especially low deflection. The ferrule material is also way to soft. I would say Revo is a better shaft in every way. I don't like the feel on either though, I rather use Ignite which have low deflection and great fit and finish, and good feedback.
Ok ok, the Revo have less deflection than the Cynergy and it's because you prefer the Ignite, incredible, I would have rather thought it was due to your favorite ice cream 🤪

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wall thickness of the carbon tube at different points along the length will also effect deflection. Where and how much it bends when the cue strikes the cue ball. To realy compare carbon shafts you would have measure diameter and wall thickness at different points along the shaft which is realy hard to do without cutting it in half.

phreaticus

More ferrule/vault plate = more end mass = more deflection.
Whats weird is per my post above, I doubled the length of mine and it made no discernible difference. I guess the Tomahawk ferrule material is so light (or not dense) and it didn’t add much mass…?

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What intrigues me is that the revo is considerably stiffer than the cynergy and i don't believe that only the end mass difference can make this difference of deflection

xX-Wizard-Xx

There are people who have dissected carbon shafts to understand them better, they can find out more, end mass is just one factor, the rigidity is part of end mass equation too.
They are a gimmick to drive more sales for pool ... that is what you have to understand

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What intrigues me is that the revo is considerably stiffer than the cynergy and i don't believe that only the end mass difference can make this difference of deflection
i am not a cuemaker
but
you can believe what you want ...the sky is green
but for homework
go read dr dave on the subject of deflection
then come back and tell us if you still dont believe end mass is the major determinant of deflection
jmho