Deano Cue for 3-cushion + Dieckman

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't hit a billiard ball in a few years. Went to Denver and knew I had some time to kill so I went to a room that now has one of the billiard tables from the old Shakespeare's that closed. So I decided to take my Deano cue and my Dieckman cue that I got from Bill Smith and give them both a whirl. Please know that I have never played witha true billiard cue before. They both have the wood pin in the shafts.

The Dieckman speaks for itself, it was a real treat to play with this cue (1st time) but it took a little getting used to - the taper and the lack of deflection made it interesting to say the least. But what a difference over my pool cue, I was able to stun and draw the ball much easier playing with the new President's cue...I definately could get used to it if I planned on playing more.

I also played with my Deano cue that has a similar european taper but not as severe as the Dieckman. It also played well - better than my pool cue and close to the Dieckman. It also felt a little more comfortable in my hands because I'm not use to the true billiard taper. The Deano was somewhere in between.

Summation: The Dieckman played a little better with all the typical shots that come up and I now know I could get used to it, but the Deano felt more comfortable out of the shoot and offered more performance than my pool cue.

Why am I bothering talking about this: The $350 Deano cue w/the original taper (1 shaft only) is a good alternative to a 3-cushion cue if you don't have the $700-$1400+ to spend on a great Dieckman masterpiece. Especially if you play pool, it may feel more comfortable while providing the added performance features of a true billiard cue. But I'm not sure Dean is making any more of these cues, but i think you can find them, just do not get the modified taper which is more like a pro taper.

Dave
 
Back
Top