Defense or not?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I'm playing some over the weekend, and hitting em good. The guy I play a lot wants me to pay more attention to "safe" or the defensive aspect. He plays with leaving the other guy nothing to shoot at before he looks at making the point. I don't like to play that way because to me it feels negative....like I
can't come up with a shot, so duck first fire last.

I have only been playing 6 months, and my main thought before every shot is come up with at least 2 solutions, pick the one that looks best, and safety is really not in my mind. How do you guys see it?

G.

Brick.Top

Registered
When I'm looking at the table, if I have two options which are similar percentage: one leaves a tough shot and the other is wide-open - I play the "defensive" shot. I never look to play a flat-out safety. Do unto others....

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm looking at the table, if I have two options which are similar percentage: one leaves a tough shot and the other is wide-open - I play the "defensive" shot. I never look to play a flat-out safety. Do unto others....

Exactly as above.

suckerbet

Registered
Imo, if playing practice games it really does not matter if you win or lose, it matters how well you play. Playing safe is wasting valuable innings and lowering your average. Leave defense for a meaningful game if needed. Ashby told me " I can teach you defense in a day, but it will take a lifetime to learn offense".

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Put!

Imo, if playing practice games it really does not matter if you win or lose, it matters how well you play. Playing safe is wasting valuable innings and lowering your average. Leave defense for a meaningful game if needed. Ashby told me " I can teach you defense in a day, but it will take a lifetime to learn offense".

Well put man!

I am accomplished at playing 1 pocket, rotation games, 14.1 etc. and safety play is a big part obviously. I have been watching HOURS of 3c matches and those guys just look to me as they are firing at the point at all cost. To put it another way...I would not feel comfortable leaving any top player anything on the table!...sure there are some lay outs easier then others, but I have seen enough YouTube Vids of Sayginer and the like score from EVERYWHERE to worry where I leave em' so to speak!

Thanks for the replies people! I have only had my table set up in my house for a week and I cannot for the life of me understand why I have not become serious about this awesome game before now!!!

I am going to become an advocate of 3c, and try to open the eyes of the cue sport world to this wonderful at a time when ALL cuesports are struggling....maybe it will harken back to the 20's? a time when carom games ruled the world of balls and a stick...

have fun guys...

G.

mazin shooni

Registered
Hello Every Body,
IMO All you guys need to listen to George Ashby,
He is one of the best players that played the game for over 20 years,
""""Cheers""""

Mazin Shooni

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with others. If I have several similar shots to choose from, percentage, positional advantage, and safety come into play in deciding. But I too will not play a flat out safety, not when playing for fun or for cheap. In a tournament or for bigger money maybe that becomes a component of the game, shooting a safe shot with a low chance of scoring to play defense.

Too many beautiful and unusual shots to explore, especially while learning, to pass up the opportunities as they present themselves!

Scott