Deflection & Ball Size

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So thanks to the silly Covid restrictions where I live, I haven't had access to a pool table for about three months. However, there is a snooker club open so I've been going there to hit a few balls. I am still using my pool cue, but of course the snooker balls are a bit smaller than pool balls, so I got to wondering...

With a given amount of side, lets say maximum, do the smaller snooker balls deflect a different amount than pool balls?

I'm guessing they would deflect more since they have less mass, but its only a guess. Or I wonder if the smaller diameter would cancel the mass differential out, since the cue tip is less distant from the center of mass, and the deflection would remain constant.

I dunno...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are different. I don’t have the words to describe the difference. But snooker, pool, billiard balls are all very different from each other.

Best
Fatboy

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play snooker with my pool cue with Z2 shaft and it have more deflection than when i play pool. Z2 is decent to play snooker or some carbon shafts but other ones deflects too much.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
With a given amount of side, lets say maximum, do the smaller snooker balls deflect a different amount than pool balls?
If "a given amount" means the same physical distance from center ball, then yes the smaller ball deflects more.

I'm guessing they would deflect more since they have less mass, but its only a guess. Or I wonder if the smaller diameter would cancel the mass differential out, since the cue tip is less distant from the center of mass, and the deflection would remain constant.
Interesting question. The physical distance from centerball to maximum side on both balls is proportional to their overall sizes, so there is some automatic adjustment with proportional tip offsets. But the ball's mass difference is much greater than its linear size difference - a snooker ball is only 10% smaller then a pool ball in diameter, but it weighs 30% less. That's the dominant factor - the smaller ball will squirt more with the same shaft..

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are at a distinct disadvantage using your pool cue versus a snooker cue.
But the game is fun regardless. Using your pool cue adds to the challenge.

Geosnookery

Timely question,

I was at the thrift store yesterday and picked up a new set of Aramith snooker balls for $7. They are 2 1/4 inch in contrast to the regular 2 1/16 size. I’ve played Snooker for over 50 years and never seen a larger diameter sized set before.

They are perfect for my needs. I prefer to play Snooker at home but usually play some version American Pool on the snooker table with American balls before playing at the Pool Hall…to readjust to the size.

Now I can keep playing Snooker and just switch to larger Snooker balls without needing to adjust to hitting bigger balls.

Anyways, I use my snooker cue for all size balls. I ‘think’ there is almost no deflection with the larger balls and a tad with smaller balls. . Perhaps, however this minimal amount is from using an ash cue and snooker tip ( 8.9mm). I dont think about deflection and have likely just naturally adjusted for it over the years.

Also, picked up a miniature set of balls for $1. Wife keeps asking me why I have so many sets of billiard balls and I have no answer other than its an addiction.
89DB4DBA-B13A-4E49-ABC7-EB7A2375557A.jpeg

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I use my snooker cue for all size balls. I ‘think’ there is almost no deflection with the larger balls and a tad with smaller balls. . Perhaps, however this minimal amount is from using an ash cue and snooker tip ( 8.9mm). I dont think about deflection and have likely just naturally adjusted for it over the years.
Here's a comparison of amounts of squirt for various shaft pivot lengths.

I use a 9.5mm tip to play pool, with a conical taper and a hollow front end. My shaft has a 20" pivot length (bottom example below) and squirts about half as much as an average pool cue (about 1/3 as much as a high squirt pool cue).

pj
chgo

squirt.jpg

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
They are different. I don’t have the words to describe the difference. But snooker, pool, billiard balls are all very different from each other.

Best
Fatboy
smaller i think might be the word to describe the difference best

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smaller i think might be the word to describe the difference best
It’s hard to describe.

All kidding aside I really don’t have the “words” to express what happens. I never have, I thought about it a lot of times over the years. All sizes of balls play slightly different. American & English snooker balls are very different for me. I prefer American even tho they are obsolete and not made anymore(to the best of my knowledge). The difference is 1.5mm as I recall.

Best,
Fatboy😀🔬

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s hard to describe.

All kidding aside I really don’t have the “words” to express what happens. I never have, I thought about it a lot of times over the years. All sizes of balls play slightly different. American & English snooker balls are very different for me. I prefer American even tho they are obsolete and not made anymore(to the best of my knowledge). The difference is 1.5mm as I recall.

Best,
Fatboy😀🔬
One of my pool halls recently bought a new set of Arimith snooker balls. American size (2 1/8”) with numbered color balls.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my pool halls recently bought a new set of Arimith snooker balls. American size (2 1/8”) with numbered color balls.
That’s cool I didn’t know they were still made. I didn’t look it up, been a long time I’ve seen a set in the wild, occasional golf table with old sets here and there. I like those balls a lot. For me easier than the proper English size.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s cool I didn’t know they were still made. I didn’t look it up, been a long time I’ve seen a set in the wild, occasional golf table with old sets here and there. I like those balls a lot. For me easier than the proper English size.
I’ve never played with the official size but we are usually playing on 9 or 10 foot tables. I’ve got a ten foot snooker table at home I’m thinking about getting the official size just to see the difference in play.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never played with the official size but we are usually playing on 9 or 10 foot tables. I’ve got a ten foot snooker table at home I’m thinking about getting the official size just to see the difference in play.
The small English balls 52mm? Are very different for me anyways. I had both and played much better with the American balls(but I played with them for 20 years before I ever hit a proper English snooker ball). That’s most likely why, was hard for me to adjust-lack of talent too.

Have fun
Fatboy😀