Just finished another cue for Art from Oxnard. This cue features a solid PH billet that runs from the pin to the threaded butt cap. The handle is an unusual wood that I have nor seen in a cue. It is called Mgurure. More on this wood below. The pin is G-10. The PH shaft is fitted with a Mason H ferrule and triangle tip.
MGURURE • Mgurure has a Janka score of 4,430 lbf. This timber, native to Kenya, is used for turning small items and in the construction of musical instruments such as chanters and drones for bagpipes. Because of its tight-grained structure, it holds musical notes well and finishes cleanly from the tool, requiring little sanding.
Here are the comments from the owner: "I was looking for a stick with a high level of feedback, and was advised by local cuemaker Bob Flynn that a cue made of this would be my best shot at replicating the performance of an old-growth maple cue lost many years ago. An order was placed in late December for this cue with a shaft and handle of pure purpleheart , decorated with a handle sleeve of Mgurure, which was finished earlier this week. I drove across the length of Los Angeles County to pick it up on Tuesday, and set out for the seaside dive bar to give it a try.
Bob was right - this cue exhibits the same level of responsiveness as the best one-piece maple stick of fond memory. I was able to make more than my usual share of shots, including an especially wicked one, banking the cue ball into the long rail and bouncing it into the 8-ball near the far end of the table for the win".
Mgurure might not be the best looking wood but when you bounce it, it comes right back to you. I will be using more of it in the future.
MGURURE • Mgurure has a Janka score of 4,430 lbf. This timber, native to Kenya, is used for turning small items and in the construction of musical instruments such as chanters and drones for bagpipes. Because of its tight-grained structure, it holds musical notes well and finishes cleanly from the tool, requiring little sanding.
Here are the comments from the owner: "I was looking for a stick with a high level of feedback, and was advised by local cuemaker Bob Flynn that a cue made of this would be my best shot at replicating the performance of an old-growth maple cue lost many years ago. An order was placed in late December for this cue with a shaft and handle of pure purpleheart , decorated with a handle sleeve of Mgurure, which was finished earlier this week. I drove across the length of Los Angeles County to pick it up on Tuesday, and set out for the seaside dive bar to give it a try.
Bob was right - this cue exhibits the same level of responsiveness as the best one-piece maple stick of fond memory. I was able to make more than my usual share of shots, including an especially wicked one, banking the cue ball into the long rail and bouncing it into the 8-ball near the far end of the table for the win".
Mgurure might not be the best looking wood but when you bounce it, it comes right back to you. I will be using more of it in the future.


