Derby City Classic - What ball set to be used?

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Hi,

As the title suggests, does anyone know for sure what set is being used?
I understand they are going back to Aramith from Cyclop, but I can't find the exact set.
I usually buy the exact set so I get used to the various color schemes and playablity, etc.

Thanks in advance
*and yes, I tried calling Diamond

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

As the title suggests, does anyone know for sure what set is being used?
I understand they are going back to Aramith from Cyclop, but I can't find the exact set.
I usually buy the exact set so I get used to the various color schemes and playablity, etc.

Thanks in advance
*and yes, I tried calling Diamond
I'm sure they'll use the Tournament's, hopefully NOT the t.v. colors.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that tv technology used to have difficulty distinguishing ball colors. It seems like current standard higher definition televisions seem to have made that a non-issue. Personally, I would love to watch a rotation match with traditional colors. At least a small guide on the screen to let me know that purple does not = 4. Part of my enjoyment watching pool is comparing my shot selection and patterns to what a pro does. I cannot see the numbers but can definitely distinguish colors accurately.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will probably be some loathsome color scheme that will have TV announcers and TV audience confused for another year.
And I am sure it will be the cheapest thing they can find just like those garbage plastic racks they think so highly of. You would think with as much as they charge for a table they could spend a buck and make a decent one.

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
They'll use the top-of-the-line Aramith's, right now that's the Tournament's. Why would they use anything but their best balls? Just curious but why is this so important?
Its important because you tend to play better when you aren't thinking about what ball is next. I like to have whatever balls so I can play with them and get used to how they play. They all play slightly different and the different color palettes affect you as you run out. I saw so many people play shape on the wrong ball the last time Derby used different balls. I didnt and I feel like I am playing almost full speed, and its because I used the same balls for a few months before Derby. I do have about 6 different sets though. (and they all play different)

I understand all pool halls use different balls and that you have to adjust, but I do what I can to be at the top of my game when I can. I also change my cloth every December so I can play on the same conditions as Derby. :):)

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can we all agree that the ball all be traditional colors, no matter who makes them?

Thanks,
Fatboy

I like traditional, but even the traditional TV balls (pink 4b rather than purple) is okay with me. I hate the skittle balls Diamond was using, but the ones at the World 9b are worse. A purple 5b! Some players admitted to shooting the 5b out of order in practice, because it “should” be the 4b.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They'll use the top-of-the-line Aramith's, right now that's the Tournament's. Why would they use anything but their best balls? Just curious but why is this so important?
Yeah just like they did for they last several tears before the shut down, oh wait, they didn't. They used the Chinese Cyclops balls for several years. And they don't play the same as the Aramiths specially for banks and one-pocket where you twist a bank shot

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah just like they did for they last several tears before the shut down, oh wait, they didn't. They used the Chinese Cyclops balls for several years. And they don't play the same as the Aramiths specially for banks and one-pocket where you twist a bank shot
Huh???? The OP was asking about next yrs event. Diamond was the US dist. for Cyclop, that's why they used them. The co. that made Cyclop is now making Dynasphere ball so Diamond went back to Aramith.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I am sure it will be the cheapest thing they can find just like those garbage plastic racks they think so highly of. You would think with as much as they charge for a table they could spend a buck and make a decent one.
Those are the best plastic racks ever made. I've played with plenty of the wood Diamond racks that rack like shit.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are the best plastic racks ever made. I've played with plenty of the wood Diamond racks that rack like shit.
The Diamond plastic triangle racks work fine. Room for fingers when racking all fifteen also. Great piece for the $.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry my experience is much different. The plastic ones flex when trying to get a tight rack. The original Diamond wood triangles did not.