Different Aiming Systems- One common goal

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hello students and instructors,
Hello naysayers and yaysayers,
Hello really interested pool-players,

First: this here is my own opinion- except the short copied text from CJ-Wiley I just wrote down my personal thoughts. So if I offend someone somehow with this text- I am the one to tear down :grin:

I forced myself a bit longer to stay out of these discussions except a few times, just because of those aggressive postings where it usually ends. Furthermore I m keeping myself also away from some themes, because I don t want, that it seems to sound like a prayer, who wants to express himself. Several players and students from me asked me to write also my thoughts and now after hearing this from both *sides*, I ll try to- I hope that I m able to describe it with the (almost, lol) correct vocabulary. So sorry in advance if it s perhaps not so perfectly written and for the use of some *strange* vocabulary

Pool-Billiards is, as we all know, one of the most difficult sports/games. The combination of brain and the body and the visuals make it so interesting …and can make it also so cruel. As the most of you (hopefully! But I m often not really sure..seriously) read all the aiming threads carefully, we all know, that there are many aiming-systems. So I ll name just a few *typical*ones perhaps here and there. I am always looking for new things, for new ways of transferring knowledge- and I m open minded for the most things.

If I start with a student/player who want to work with me or just want to hear a opinion about his game/technique/fundamentals, I let him usualy play always a range of shots, where I am able to see what I want:
These shots usually (in my opinion) including all important angles, all important situations where the body *have to be positioned* also different and not able to stand *perfectly*. This process is for me personally my most important process to take off with a student- here I analyze first always right on the beginning how the players aligns, how he steps into the shot and how he goes down into the shot. I ALWAYS begin this way- no matter if the student is an absolute beginner or a very advanced player. The shots I let them play includes also several shots, where the *average* often thinks “f…ng hard* and also often…”why should I play such a shot……way too hard, and comes up once a month …..”. How I said- I let them play these variety of shots to see, how they align for the shot, and how they *see the shot* and *how they go down into the shot*.
In my opinion this is the most crucial and the most important point in the game:
If you see the shot wrong- you ll miss-
If you align bad for the shot- you ll miss
If you go wrong down into the shot- you ll miss
If you have an optical illusion, you ll miss

So here I ll start to set my points and explain (sometimes more sometimes less- depends on the human- is he a *more shooting* or a *more thinking* player) what we have to change, how and why. Here I have my *first* try to also rate the player if he is a more introvert or extravert human . And you can all believe me, that here endless discussions can come up- usually some will end in endless and amusing excuses (from the students/players) why and how they do this or that and why IT s perfect for them. In most cases they immediately stop, after showing them clearly, that they have shot several shots with EXACTLY the same angle with COMPLETELY different results…without knowing and also finally not realizing it. Here the *normal* player/human, who started a few minutes ago to explain with funny excuses, mostly immediately shut up..…because he then understands and accepts that he have to change something.
The complete game is about visual perception- NOTHING else.
let me take a beginner to a bit advanced player. I set them up a 8-12 shots. I let them play these shots 10 times each. Noting the results with the impressions I received. Then normally the player/student starts again to explain why this or that shot is harder and why he misses this more often etcetera…..( well at least it s like the movie “Groundhog Day” lol)
Then I let em play each shot again these shots- but now just with 3 trys on each shots. And the percentage will mostly not show a big difference.
By telling the student just the percentage of success, and that the misses are again on the same shots, I give em the first advice and order what to change for the next *test run*. Here I “just” tell them how I want them to lign up/align for each shot, and from where I want them to step into the shot and how to *slide* down smoothly into the shot. Just short and exact explanations (which of course differ from human to human-each has a different understanding).

I pulled out results from 3 students I teach at the moment more online.
After letting them play the shots again (after the first orders/advice/explanations) the results had been:
Player A: First attempt (without advice/corrections) 65 % successful shots
Player A: Second attempt after getting orders: 88 %
Player B: First attempt (without advice/corrections) 52 %
Player B: Second attempt after getting orders: 81 %
Player C: First attempt (without advice/corrections) 58%
Player C: Second attempt after getting orders: 75%

To simplify this a bit- Here I told the players to do their Sighting/Seeing different than before from another position/point of view. So that they get no optical illusion anymore. Furthermore with the order to slide differently into the shot, which helps them to *slide* perfectly aligned into the shot “FOLLOWING THEIR VISUAL TARGET THEY CREATED BEFORE!”
How I shown up before, the game in my opinion is all about to get the correct perception- Here is where every aiming system in the world should have one thing in common: They all have to bring the player into the correct position to SEE the ball, and DO the final execution perfectly. So at the beginning you do your SEEING and THINKING from the correct position by STANDING ABOVE-so that you have the perfect view. And after you did those “ two things correctly” you will slide smoothly into your perfect end-position into the shot and just DO!
How you as an instructor now will force your student/player to manage this finally successful, depends on your knowledge of the human nature, and your teaching abilities- and of course also if the “famous click between teacher and student” happened.

So one of these students (Player C) told me in a long talking/discussion, that he was trying on his own, without any personal lesson from a knowledged guy, that he s trying to use a cte/pivot based system. As I never learnt personally (unfortunately) this from a guy like Stan Shuffet or whoever, I was first a bit afraid how to help him- because I don t teach what I don t know 100%. I spend for sure a lot of time with tons of stuff about 90/90, CTE, Pro-1, Same Aim- but was never *instructed by somebody*. I talked long times with John Barton via phone- and he tried his best. It was amazing how insightful and with how much heart he tried to *make me understanding* (which can be VERY hard, believe me, LOL). This was all about the *usual* CTE stuff, John used to learn long ago. Then I talked very long time and often with Dave Segal about CTE, especially about the pivots, because I had my reasonable *questions*- and Dave Segal has also a great talent to articulate patiently and he tried to explain a lot-in a VERY good way. This ended finally into more kind of discussion about 90/90 system (on 90/90 Randy Goettlicher told me also some very helpful things). At some point Dave chosen a sentence where he gave me a nice explaining that helps me to understand a bit better.
Then I received the dvd from Stan Shuffett. So I started again to watch his DVD several times. And I must say, that the DVD was really good (without rating the information's on by first seeing it). So I went to the pool-hall. And made here and there some practice shots for myself. At the same time I received the pre-version of the See-System from Ekkes (the UBC)- And also made here my thoughts.

I always try (how I said before) to get myself out of these terrible attacking threads. But if somebody really paying attention for the important things, he will clearly see, that 2 of these systems (Pro-1 and the See System also!!) have a BIG plus. Both of these systems force the player to align them correctly and furthermore to SEE the shot correctly from the CORRECT angle. I will not discuss here about the systems itself.
I just want to show up, that the way I teach, and that the system Stan Shuffett and also Ekkes teaches have one thing in common:

To get the CORRECT PERCEPTION of the shot
To step perfectly aligned into the shot
To SEE the shot correct.

Back to player C- I finally detected, that had a *slightly* wrong alignment (head/eye position). And this was just caused by standing wrong behind the shot. He simply had a *WRONG PERCEPTION* of the shot. The game, and this is still my strong personal opinion is all about the correct perception of the shot. Once a player understands this, his journey can go on- without doing this right….he will end in the doom of endless practice that will never take fruits.

That s my thought and opinion. Never forget that we are all humans! Some guys have the awesome ability to imagine and visualize very strong (ghostball), some guys need to do it very analytical, which often tend to use contact to contact system where they can exactly easily see the point of contact on CB and OB and are just able to connect them, others somehow found a ways to just *recall* the correct picture…what s also just a result of practicing a lot, and creating a visual picture. Some using pivot-systems.

But who cares buddies? All of them trying to give their best in this great game. I try to pick the best out of each of those systems (which I know). Knowledge is real power- but desire and heart are two things nobody can learn- you have it or not.

And like always: Without a repeatable straight stroke which allows you to send Whitey from point A to B….every system on the planet will not work!
Shoot pool-not people 
Lg from overseas,
Ingo

And at least: I my opinion a real gem:
A wonderful article about perception I saw is from the incredible CJ Wiley:
I just copied it here- for some guys it should be a real eye opener (on BOTH sides!)
January 31 at 8:39pm near Dallas, TX • ..Someone ask me "why can I play like a pro for a few hours, then have mental lapses and start making mistakes?" My answer surprised him...I said "the problem is all in your perception of the cue ball, because it's always changing....we can make the cue ball look smaller by standing further away, or make it look larger by standing closer... we want to be the same distance to give us the "illusion" that the distance is the same...once we have established our distance now we are able to do something that is REALLY IMPORTANT.....we can see the distance relationship between the cue ball and the object ball, and the lower our eyes, the closer the two balls will appear...the higher our eyes the farther the object ball will appear.....the key is to find the distance relationship YOU PREFER and try to make EVERY shot fit this perception.....so, as a rule the closer the cue ball is to the object ball the higher you stand...as the distance increases you're eyes should lower to create the same visual "illusion". And creating this illusion consciously makes all the shots appear to be the same....this leads to uncanny consistency ;-)

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Very well stated my friend.

All good aiming systems have to take us to the same point. How we get there is our personal system.

I also agree with you that an aiming system is only a portion of our game. Process, Stroke & Alignment are long before Aiming.

randyg

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
The only thing I'd argue with is the idea that this describes an aiming system. It's a preshot routine.

pj
chgo

Where did i write that i described an aiming-system? :confused:

I just wrote, that the parts i ve shown up (and this in a short-cut version!) are necessary for ANY aiming-system on the planet-if you want to be successful- or however you may call it. (except praying system :grin: )

lg from overseas,

Ingo

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
thanks for a good write-up Ingo! I am also a strong believer (and teach so) that proper position on the line of the shot is everything, that's the basis for execution (which has to follow). But even if a stroke is good enough it hardly means anything if the line is wrong. So walking into the shot is vital.
Thanks for stressing on ball perception (CJ Wiley quote). I have never noticed that, so it's a food for thought.

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol, everyone who has ever played pool uses an "aiming system". Some or far more formal than others.

If muscle memory is an aiming system I'll agree with you. This is like saying chewing is an eating system.

NickV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only if "aiming system" means so many things that it effectively means nothing.

pj
chgo

There's many definitions of "system". Take all the things you do on different shots based on your experience playing pool and what you have is a system. How formal that is expressed or understood varies for every shooter.

Maybe you see it as meaning nothing, but I don't.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
How bored a person can be, to post completley un-necessary things in a thread where it s nothing but *topic failed/off-topic* ?

I saw really some great postings from you Patrick, and you of course have knowledge-that s sure. But somehow a feeling comes up, that you really seem to just sit there and waiting for just a single word to jump into a discussion, just to discuss-no matter if it s about the weather in china or a damaged bag of potatoes in europe.

:confused:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
How bored a person can be, to post completley un-necessary things in a thread where it s nothing but *topic failed/off-topic* ?

I saw really some great postings from you Patrick, and you of course have knowledge-that s sure. But somehow a feeling comes up, that you really seem to just sit there and waiting for just a single word to jump into a discussion, just to discuss-no matter if it s about the weather in china or a damaged bag of potatoes in europe.

:confused:
Hey Ingo, I just realized this is your thread that I've highjacked. My bad. I apologize and I'm outta here.

Good topic!

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hey Ingo, I just realized this is your thread that I've highjacked. My bad. I apologize and I'm outta here.

Good topic!

pj
chgo

Patrick,

i meant this seriously when i sad, that i have respect for you and many of your postings. But in the last time you really jumping onto some topics, where i wonder a bit.

peace,
Ingo

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
There's many definitions of "system". Take all the things you do on different shots based on your experience playing pool and what you have is a system. How formal that is expressed or understood varies for every shooter.

Maybe you see it as meaning nothing, but I don't.

Great sentences- thx for your input Nick,

lg from overseas,

Ingo

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
thanks for a good write-up Ingo! I am also a strong believer (and teach so) that proper position on the line of the shot is everything, that's the basis for execution (which has to follow). But even if a stroke is good enough it hardly means anything if the line is wrong. So walking into the shot is vital.
Thanks for stressing on ball perception (CJ Wiley quote). I have never noticed that, so it's a food for thought.

Thx buddy-
have a smooth stroke :)

Ingo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Patrick,

i meant this seriously when i sad, that i have respect for you and many of your postings. But in the last time you really jumping onto some topics, where i wonder a bit.

peace,
Ingo
If you want to comment about my posts in other threads, make your comments there and quote the posts so I can see what you're talking about.

pj
chgo

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Ingo,
You did a great job in starting this thread.

Aiming systems should help the player get to the Perfect Sight Picture, which with a straight and repeatable stroke, help them to pocket the object ball.

CTE/Pro1 and many other aiming systems do this quite well.

The naysayers are still trying to stifle conversation and create acrimony about this aiming system and others even though they have already lost the battle.

Some people need aiming systems to help them to increase their ability to pocket balls. I often see students who have trouble envisioning back cuts. This may be due to many different things and that is why some of the more modern aiming systems are EFFECTIVE. The modern day aiming systems incorporate many different things to help the shooter achieve their goal.