Different Characteristics of Woods for QButts

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
I've noticed that with most of the cues being produced, whether with wraps or not, a cue butt is often made of several woods with aesthetics as the primary reason. Not only has this type of construction make a cue "attractive" to the potential buyer, it also gives a cue a different "personality" or characteristic.

However, I'm more interested in what gives these cues that personality. I'd like to know what a cue will be like if it were given a PURER form. I have 2 cues with 1pc/solid butts, and in their "purer" state, their differences are more noticeable even if I use only 1 kind of shaft. Hence, if I were to have a 1pc cue butt made with the same type of wood from another cue maker, I guess that it will have almost the same playing characteristics as my other cue of the same wood type.

So, my question is: based on your experience and with letting everything else being equal (shaft/tip/ferrule, quality of wood used, no weight bolts, and other construction techniques), how would you describe a wood if it was used as a solid butt? I don't know if the categories below have the right title so feel free to make changes or additions to the categories to make the discussion more informative.

Let me start with these woods: ash, bubinga, chechem, gancalo alves, guatambu, maple (curly, bem, straight grained, etc), cocobolo, bocote, ebony (macassar, gaboon, African, east indian), purpleheart, padauk, kingwood, tulipwood (brazilian), rosewood (brazilian, Indian), sirari, etc

Wood Name & Subtype:
Tonal Characteristic: (high, low pitch, etc)
Natural Weight: (light, heavy, etc)
Density:
Appearance: (tightness of grains, patterns, etc)
Wood Stability: (if it's stable enough be used alone as a cue butt w/o coring)
Hit:
Other Useful Info:

TIA :thumbup:

Last edited: