Different games, different style of play.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
I've been playing and practicing 8 ball and 14.1 mostly. Couple of months ago, I played in 9 ball tourney and was lost at what to do. The game took a different style of play than 8 ball and 14.1. Safety play is different. Being able to move the ball around is different.

For a little experiment, I switched to playing more 14.1 with those that normally played 8 ball and 9 ball. A couple are 3 cushion players that like to go "slumming" and play on the pocket table.

What I started to notice was that the players were still using their style of play in their game of choice. The thing is 14.1 requires a style of play. I noticed that they moved the ball more than was needed. General lack of confidence in combos. Overlooked the use of caroms. Weak in breaking up clusters and putting balls where you need them. Unwilling to use follow when that's the best option.

List goes on....

Now, in 14.1 I have never had to go 2 rails to hit a OB like I've had to in 8 ball or 9 ball because of a safe. Forced into a bank that can happen in 8 ball and 9 ball. Had to unblock a pocket like in 8 ball.

List goes on....

It is easy to assume that one style of play will work with all the different games, but this is not the case as I found out in that 9 ball tourney.

The most common saying I have been hearing while playing 14.1 is "How hard can it be, you can hit any ball" which usually muttered right after they realize they have no shot and must leave me with no shot.

Its like race tracks. Each one has its own personality and requires a certain style of driving. One track you can use the curbs, another you can't. One loses traction quicker when the weather changes than another.

List goes on....

What is key is the ability to adapt. The wider the range of experiences you have, the more you can draw from for those new situations.

For example, In 9 ball, I have never seen anyone stick the CB to the rack. This a common thing to do in 14.1. I watched the people from the other games try to stick the CB to the rack playing 14.1 like I can, and they end up opening the rack up and not knowing why.

When I tell them what works and why, they get it. But in 9 ball, this type of situation for this style of shot seldom, if ever comes up. But when a situation does where you need to stick a ball, you now have experience to draw from to perform the shot.

And, no I am telling how, but I will say, you can't use TOI to do so.
 
Last edited:
The game that opened my eyes the most is one-pocket. It's the one game where CB control is more important than pocketing the OB. That changes everything.
 
Every game is a different ball game. Every game requires different skillset and strategy.

Also switching from one game to another needs a hell lot of practice and different tool set.
 
Does this strike anyone else as Duckie making two new threads as a direct result of CJ disagreeing with him?

Can you not just get over it?
We get it, one size doesn't fit all. Insightful.
 
Back
Top