Direct replacement LED bulbs for 9' Diamond light.

Jdel

When I picked up the Pro-Am this weekend I managed to get an older 9' diamond light for a good deal. It's a florescent model and I've seen posts about plug and play LED bulbs that can be used, but most are pretty old and broken links or crazy expensive like $150+ per bulb.

Does anyone have a link to a bulb that just works? I'd prefer plug and play but I can bypass the ballasts if that's the way to go.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I picked up the Pro-Am this weekend I managed to get an older 9' diamond light for a good deal. It's a florescent model and I've seen posts about plug and play LED bulbs that can be used, but most are pretty old and broken links or crazy expensive like $150+ per bulb.

Does anyone have a link to a bulb that just works? I'd prefer plug and play but I can bypass the ballasts if that's the way to go.
A buddy did this and he re-wired it and got rid of the ballast. Also replaced the little tombstone recep's that the bulbs plug into.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 of the lights I have at the pool hall that were converted. You will need to put one of the thin plastic crystal sheets above the metallic plastic cube diffuser. The led will leave bands of light on the table. With the typical plastic crystal sheet...light is spread out and nice and bright.

Last edited:

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have a 9' Diamond light with LEDs. They ship from Diamond without the lights, but they put me in touch with the company that sells their recommended light. My order was in May 2020 with delivery in Sept 2020 (lights, table, ball polisher, cue holders, etc.).

I ordered a case (eight 4' LED lights) of KEYSTONE 15 watt- double pin-KT-LED15T8GC-850-D. These are the recommended 5000K bulbs, which is what I'm using now. They were $126.58, including shipping.

They actually sent the incorrect bulbs, KEYSTONE 15 watt- double pin-KT-LED15T8GC-840-D, initially. (They are 4000K.) It was so expensive to ship back, they just sent me the correct bulbs. I still have the 4000K unopened in the original shipping packaging.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 of the lights I have at the pool hall that were converted. You will need to put one of the thin plastic crystal sheets above the metallic plastic cube diffuser. The led will leave bands of light on the table. With the typical plastic crystal sheet...light is spread out and nice and bright.
You need to use frosted LED tubes. Clear ones will leave the 'tiger stripes' if you don't use the plastic sheet. All our tables have the regular egg-crate diffuser and frosted tubes. Works perfect.

Jdel

I have a 9' Diamond light with LEDs. They ship from Diamond without the lights, but they put me in touch with the company that sells their recommended light. My order was in May 2020 with delivery in Sept 2020 (lights, table, ball polisher, cue holders, etc.).

I ordered a case (eight 4' LED lights) of KEYSTONE 15 watt- double pin-KT-LED15T8GC-850-D. These are the recommended 5000K bulbs, which is what I'm using now. They were $126.58, including shipping.

They actually sent the incorrect bulbs, KEYSTONE 15 watt- double pin-KT-LED15T8GC-840-D, initially. (They are 4000K.) It was so expensive to ship back, they just sent me the correct bulbs. I still have the 4000K unopened in the original shipping packaging.
I'm not sure but those look like the bulbs for the previous LED model and not LED replacements for the 8' florescent in the older model.

Jdel

You need to use frosted LED tubes. Clear ones will leave the 'tiger stripes' if you don't use the plastic sheet. All our tables have the regular egg-crate diffuser and frosted tubes. Works perfect.
Are they LED lights from the factory or retrofit?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they LED lights from the factory or retrofit?
These are the older big Diamond lights. They were fluorescent but got converted to LED. They removed the ballasts, replaced the 'tombstones' and put in frosted LED tubes. Used the original diffusers.

Jdel

Do you know what bulbs are in there? I have n electrician coming tomorrow to look at mounting the light and he can make any required mods.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
We converted a couple of diamond lights to LED at our room, and I ended up putting Diffusion Fabric
on top of the plastic Diamond diffusers. We used regular LED strip lights though, not replacement bulbs for the original fluorescents.
Diffused bulbs might not throw the same shadows. If you just want bulbs, I would get the kind that bypass the ballasts. You have to check for shunted or non-shunted tombstones and wire them accordingly. (It's easy to do)

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I used the Diamond recommended LEDs and they had a distinct hum/buzz to them so I returned them. As well, they were rated under 2000 lumens each.

As someone else said, make sure you use frosted bulbs and 5000K.

I used these for two years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQ2ZKZO

No hum, 2200 lumens apiece. However, half of them had a delayed turn on (when I flicked the switch half would turn on and the other half took a second.) They were also still slightly dimmer than I wanted, even though I believe the 2200 lumen claim. Mostly it was a little dimmer than I wanted at the very ends of the table against the short rails, but I suspect that's just due to the light design then anything with the bulbs. I think they're perfectly fine, overall, and at $60 total for a package of 10 it's a great deal.

These are the ones I currently use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BF79M6WP

For under $100, total, you get 20 bulbs at 3000 lumens each. They shouldn't go bad, but in 10 years when they've perhaps dimmed 10-20% you can replace the whole batch....and still have four leftover in case there's a bad one. No hum, no delayed turn on, as bright as you need, even at the very ends of the table.

Good luck!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must be...
I bought these 2 from another room.

When I pulled the clear sheet...it was not good.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or you could just buy frosted bulbs.

dendweller

When I replaced my fluorescent lights I first tried these led tubes that didn't require the conversion. They were useless.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I do not have a Diamond light, however I used Ballast Bypass lamps in my 8ft High Output fixtures and added a diffuser painted black. It's unreal clean and can look past the light to watch TV without glare.

Greenlight Depot sells frosted LED bypass lamps in a variety of sizes and color temps. High Output, Single pin, bi-pin and all lengths. That is the company I used.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not have a Diamond light, however I used Ballast Bypass lamps in my 8ft High Output fixtures and added a diffuser painted black. It's unreal clean and can look past the light to watch TV without glare.

Greenlight Depot sells frosted LED bypass lamps in a variety of sizes and color temps. High Output, Single pin, bi-pin and all lengths. That is the company I used.

Got a pic of your light?

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_170147.jpg
    IMG_20200327_170147.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200327_170300.jpg
    IMG_20200327_170300.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200719_065446 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200719_065446 (1).jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 43

Jdel

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I think this should be pretty straight forward.

Now for the part I completely forgot about, installing the light. How do you mount a light over an existing table, I don't want someone standing on it.