AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just play few games of Kaisa Billiards to sharpen pocketing skills :wink:

picture.php
picture.php

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Instead of pocket reducers, try this. Shoot from the head string and put the object ball just past the side pocket. Place both the cue ball and object ball 1/4 inch off the rail. This will make the effective corner pocket opening very small.
I think the effective pocket size is even a little smaller with the OB a little farther from the rail - because you get maximum "mirrored pocket" effect (with a rail first hit) when it's next to the rail.

pj
chgo

john noe

Registered
Yes, I purchased the same reducers for my 9 ft table a week ago. I love them for the exact reason you stated in your post. I want to improve and to do that the stroke is heavily involved. When I nail a length of the table shot I know right away if I did anything wrong by looking to see if the ball I was shooting at is still on the table. heh
But after 20 years of not playing I need all the gadgets I can find to help me and this "gadget" might be the most important gadget I've found.

I've only been shooting straight in or close to straight in shots so far. At 3.25 inches and the way the reducers fit in the pocket it looks to be almost impossible to even make a rail shot. This fact has me searching for somebody who can do whatever it takes to reduce my pocket sizes without the reducers. Depending on the cost I'm there.

Also I believe I would be happier with a pocket size about 4" for now at least.

Enjoyed your post,
John Noe

Last edited:

john noe

Registered
Only had my reducers for about 4 days but I agree with you. Great for long straight in or fairly straight in shots but that's it. They are a powerful aid to help a person get an effective accurate stroke. You know immediately if your stroke is off.

It's not a 100 percent guarantee I can pocket the cue ball down the rail into the corner pocket however and if I do it can't be hit with any speed. It's that tough. So what will I learn about the speed required to get shape on my next shot. I'll tell you what I'll learn: I'll learn to play a completely different game and not a good game. So it's impossible to practice real life pocket billiard pool games in any meaningful way.

Enjoyed your post,
John Noe

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignore all the "experts" and do what you need to do to get better.
If those pocket reducers are helping your game, by all means USE THEM.
I wanted my pockets shimmed up to 4 inches and the installer messed up and only took them to 4 1/4.....(including the sides). When I have it recovered, they're going down to 4 all around....and I'll be watching and supervising.
My table is a brutal training field and not a place for social gatherings.
But, I am very weird and serious about training.
That type of training pays off at match-up time, however.
Have a good one.:thumbup: