Do you give the 9-Ball or let shoot everything

Rumplestiltskin said:
I guess not knowing how too many people here play, it's hard to understand their position on the whole thing. Until about 5 years ago, I played in a lot of local tourneys and did a lot of small-time gambling, but seldom more than 10 a game or 100 a set. However, since I got my start in gambling by playing friends, and have always treated people with respect(except those that don't deserve it), I've always seen it as a show of respect and accepted it as a show of respect to let them "pick it up." (ok maybe I watched a little too much golf last weekend) I don't really see it as a "move" as I don't see how it could even make a difference in that regard. Giving up a gimme when you're in the 12th rack of a $10/game matchup wouldn't seem to make much of a difference, so unless it's an 80% or lower shot, I typically give it to 'em, and typically receive the same in return. I guess it's all relative... I was never more than a low-B player, except on the occasion where I caught that gear and couldn't miss. It has never made any difference to me if someone gives me a ball or 3, and I never cared much if someone made or missed a 9ball, regardless of the percentage. If you play enough games, it all evens out.
I saw this move work on someone just last night. I was playing in a small liability ring game that I've only been in once before. The player ahead of me had a shot like this to win the $2

CueTable Help


he paused while down on the ball, fired at it, and hung it up. As I shot at the hanger he left me, he said, "I wanted so much for you guys to give me that one." I guess giving up the last ball is common in this game and expecting the concession was in his head so much that he dogged the ball.

I won't put this move on anyone, because I don't want to be that kind of player, but I think this incident shows that it can work.
 
putting aside the element of giving up balls for gamesmanship and mind games, i see nothing wrong with it giving a one foot stop shot on the nine up. or maybe the eight hanging over the middle and the nine in the corner with ball in hand.

most the time i just accept the fact i'm beaten. unless i have a personal grudge against who i'm playing, i feel no sense of achievement if the player were to miss these balls out of carelessness and i win the rack. obviously depending on what's at stake and whether you've been giving up the balls previously the situation is different sometimes. but generally i have no problem with conceding a hanger or two. i want to play good pool, not piss about sharking each other hoping he'll dog a hanger cus i made him shoot it. that's not why i play pool. i want a high quality match with both of us playing well ideally.
 
Back
Top