Do you give the 9-Ball or let shoot everything

sad_clown0306

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I often see that if a Player has only one last Ball for the win like the 9-Ball that the opponent dont let him shoot it as a gift.
Especially on easy shots. Also on the last 2 Balls as well.

How about you ?? If the opponent has only 1 or 2 Balls left...do you let him shoot or do you say that its ok and start to rack.

I?m asking because i have seen many Players miss an easy shot because their nerves are getting week. I even have seen Efren Reyes missing a short distance stop shot on the last Ball for the win once. For me that was incredible to see that even a Player of his quality standards missing an easy shot on the last Ball.

How do you handle it ??

av84fun

Banned
sad_clown0306 said:
I often see that if a Player has only one last Ball for the win like the 9-Ball that the opponent dont let him shoot it as a gift.
Especially on easy shots. Also on the last 2 Balls as well.

How about you ?? If the opponent has only 1 or 2 Balls left...do you let him shoot or do you say that its ok and start to rack.

I?m asking because i have seen many Players miss an easy shot because their nerves are getting week. I even have seen Efren Reyes missing a short distance stop shot on the last Ball for the win once. For me that was incredible to see that even a Player of his quality standards missing an easy shot on the last Ball.

How do you handle it ??

Depends on the opponent and the stakes. Generally, conceding the 9 is done way too often IMHO but I guess if both players are doing it, then the "dog" factor would cancel out.

It is mostly as sign of respect...but again...it's done too often I think.

Best,
Jim

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling or Tournaments = shoot em all, some people actually consider it sharking.

Fun with friends = give em some, make em shoot some depends

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hehe

Make them shoot no matter where its at.. You will be suprised how many easies that people miss because there thinking "why didnt they give me this."

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If my opponent had me burried in a match and is playing very well I always made it a habit not to conced any games.

I have found that in these cases the best chance I have to get back into the match is for them to miss an easy shot. That miss may derail him for a period of time, especially if you punish them for that miss. That miss may stay on their mind for a while and let you back into a match that you were sure to lose.

When I played matches that I felt would last a good time I would tell my opponent beforehand that I would prefer not to concede any nines. If they wanted to give me some, well thats ok.

Most times they would concede a ball that I wasn't go to miss anyway and expect the same from me. I never had as much confidence in them as I had in myself. However these day if I am playing a friend in a tournament, out of courtesy I will concede some balls.

Dgerst

Global warming is bad?
Silver Member
You can have a little fun when you're on the receiving end of this. When your opponent says "that's good" pull the trigger anyway and miss it. That happens pretty often around here.

jon21588

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love to not concede the nine after my opponent has given me a few games. It pisses them off so bad, and eventually they'll miss an easy one because they're so frustrated that you don't give it to them.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Dgerst said:
You can have a little fun when you're on the receiving end of this. When your opponent says "that's good" pull the trigger anyway and miss it. That happens pretty often around here.

In a gambling match, that would mean the game is still on. If you make an offensive move after your opponent said, 'that's good', it's like you did not accept what he said.

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's about respect, and custom, I guess. And both of those, in a social setting, are probably more important than winning a pool match, unless you're talking about serious money!

I'll concede short and at least nearly straight-in shots and hangers. And I don't necessarily expect that in return, but usually it's granted after you've shown you can hold the cue straight. And if a tourney rule is no concessions, that's fine, too. But if you're playing a B or A player, it's kind of retarded to make them shoot an "unmissable" shot.

Last time I felt like doing that was in a recent tourney when I was taking some crazy sharking from a guy I will call, er, Hispanic Eddie ... in fact, he even had to wait almost a minute to shoot it because of action on the next table. Yeah, I was hoping to piss him off and even the score a little!

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20 years ago players would wipe the table sometimes with 3 or 4,5 balls left in a 9B game, granted the tables were easier, what I have noticed these days that people are making everyone shoot everything, to me thats a nit move-----let the bullets fly,

When i'm in a game $500 race to 9 or more $$$, I stragically give the 9 or 8,9 and sometimes I make them shoot it, it has more value as a move than the likelyhood of making someone shoot everything and hope for a miss. <-----read that again, its a move, moves are more valuable than making a person shot a shot he aint gonna miss. even wiping the table and losing a game isnt the worst thing ever, the idea is to break down your man not let him just keep making shots he aint gonna miss and get pumped up. now i will sometimes take the 8,9 off the table, I wont wipe the table like I said above those were alot stronger players, specifically Kim Davenport did it alot and I watched Keith do it too, The weaker the player the less you can do that, i give up 8,9 at the right time the 7,8,9 very rarely but i'm hardly a great player, right now i cant play at all-back thing so i'm not in action and make them shoot them all, this move is for action not tournments. And in some cases depending on the ebb and flow of the game and opponint I do make them shoot them all, but giving up a game here and there isnt the end of the world.

for some reason this mentality went out the window sometime during my 14 yr retirement. I'm not sure why i'm even sharing it. Ask some oldtime hardcore gamblers about this, I was talking to Kim Davenport about it recently, I wont quote him without his permission but we are on the same page. praying for your opponent to miss is weak. I'm only talking about ation. give up some games and do it right ,go win some $$$ and Rep me. thx

Last edited:

BPG24

Banned
Fatboy said:
When i'm in a game $500 race to 9 or more I stragically give the 9 or 8,9 and sometimes I make them shoot it, it has more value as a move than the likelyhood of making someone shoot everything and hope for a miss.

i do the same thing in long sets because it gives me some control over my opponents confidence level. I won't get into specifics for obvious reasons but gambling is an art. I gamble great and play good. It has served me well ;)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, I have missed some super easy shots before so I like to make my opponent shoot every ball. I have no problem shooting every ball either. The way I see it the more balls you shoot in your pool life time the better you will get so that easy nine ball isn't even about THAT game...but maybe one next week or even months down the road:)

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
You ALWAYS make them sink all the balls. I see more disrespect when a guy is lining up for a money ball shot thinking pool and the opp knocks it in with his cue or waves him off..

any player can miss any shot at any given moment. I see it as sharking you've interrupted his rhythm(given winner breaks in alternate break you look and are impatient trying to hurry your chance to the table) now he's now he's got to break a rack but he didn't get to close out the last one it can throw guys off I personally think its a weak ploy to get into a guys head.

I'll tell you right now if your playing me you WILL have to sink all of your shots to win...every time all the time.

Last edited:

av84fun

Banned
jbullerjr said:
Gambling or Tournaments = shoot em all, some people actually consider it sharking.

Fun with friends = give em some, make em shoot some depends

LOTS of gamblers give up an easy 9. Happens all the time.

Jim

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
LOTS of gamblers give up an easy 9. Happens all the time.

Jim

Hey Jim, hows it going,

I know they do and I make sure I thank them every time. Doesn't shark me at all.

Alot of people know about the "move" Fatboy describes above. Thats the reason why in some tournaments if you concede a game you will lose that game AND another game.

Jimbo

av84fun

Banned
jbullerjr said:
Hey Jim, hows it going,

I know they do and I make sure I thank them every time. Doesn't shark me at all.

Alot of people know about the "move" Fatboy describes above. Thats the reason why in some tournaments if you concede a game you will lose that game AND another game.

Jimbo

Roger that jimbo. I think that is the DCC rule. While giving balls certainly can be a move as fatboy points out, a lot of the time it is done in respect.

I generally remove uncertainty by just stating up front that I'd like us to shoot all balls...because I need the practice! That solves the problem before it begins.

Take care.

Jim

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can vividly remember the time I was playing league. I'm a 6 and my opponent is a 6. (In TAP the ratings go to 7)

It's hill hill and he's on the 8 and he's up against the rail with a 20 degree angle into the corner. He misses it by a mile. I make a tough 8 and my team cheers.

He won't even talk to me he's so pissed. He goes on and on about how classless I was for making him shoot. Evidently he had conceded one of my eight ball shots earlier in the match. When the guy in the next match conceded an 8 ball he said, "Now that's class!"

Unbelievable. If the shot was hard enough that he missed it, logic would say that the shot shouldn't have been conceded right?

Not to mention I should do what is in the TEAM'S best interest.

Thanks for the golden opportunity to rant about that.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I give the 9 ball sometimes if the opponent is playing good,if he is not i make him shoot everything.I played a guy yesterday who had me 4-0 in a race to 5,i won about 8 games straight,i end up leaving an 8 ball hanger and 9 ball hanging too,he was so rattled from losing that set when he was on the hill and i was about to eat a donut i made him shoot and he missed the 8,i just couldnt believe it,he quit and paid after that. :)

av84fun

Banned
Fast Lenny said:
I give the 9 ball sometimes if the opponent is playing good,if he is not i make him shoot everything.I played a guy yesterday who had me 4-0 in a race to 5,i won about 8 games straight,i end up leaving an 8 ball hanger and 9 ball hanging too,he was so rattled from losing that set when he was on the hill and i was about to eat a donut i made him shoot and he missed the 8,i just couldnt believe it,he quit and paid after that. :)

Too funny. I had never thought of giving balls and not giving them as a "move."

But I had it pulled on me in reverse in a regional tournament a couple of years ago. I had a well known player down 5-0 in a race to 7. We had each given each other at least one 9 ball.

In the 6th rack he got down to the 9 but his body was blocking my view so I got out of the chair to look. He was NOT down on the ball yet. When I saw it was a fairly hard shot I just sat back down and said nothing. Aftger he made the 9 he REALLY got up in my face. Said I conceded when I got out of my chair and should have said so...that I was sharking him.

He was really hot...and it made ME hot because I was TRYING to give him the shot but had to SEE it first.

In any event, he broke and ran 4 on me, then I got a shot, dogged it and lost the match 7-5 because I got pissed and STAYED pissed the whole rest of the match.

He GOT me!

(-: