Do you guys ever go through this... (cue dilemma)

BigAlbert333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have this Beautiful 4 pointer Jerry - R -... Absolutely Love this cue... Always promised myself I'd never sell it for personal sentimental value...

Yet, I have this ol retired Predator cue that I love so much and play so much better with over my Jerry Rauenzahn... My shot making is better and my overall confidence is higher with the Predator...

I wish I felt the same way and shot with it the same as my Predator...

Have any of you gone through this... Just venting ☺
 
put a predator shaft on the -R-?? have you tried. the LD shafts affect your game more than realized. and if you have tried that, than just play with the predator. I've had some really nice cues, but I always shot best with a schon. it;s the try to find the magical cue thing, when you actually have the good one in your case the whole time. I still regret selling my '93 schon with pre-cats. oh well.
 
Some people may frown on this, but if you just get a predator shaft made to fit your Rauenzahn and you can have the best of both worlds.
 
keep it, play with predator for 6 months or year, and then try the other cue again....ive been there with other cues, and ended up back with first cue.
 
Some people may frown on this, but if you just get a predator shaft made to fit your Rauenzahn and you can have the best of both worlds.

What it honestly comes down to is what do you like playing with the most? You like playing with the predator, but the way a predator cue plays has very little to do with the butt. If it were me, this is what I would do.

Buy a predator shaft for the -R- and if you like the way it plays then awesome. I swear there is an old guy in my area that plays with (what appears to be) a Joss West with a 314-2. Alther guy I know has what could be a Szam (no identifying marks) and he has an OB2 on it.

If you get the predator shaft for the -R- and don't like it, sell the whole lot and you should have enough $$$ to have your dream player made.

Just my $.02.

Ben Crowgey
 
Also make sure your tip is the same. The tip has effects the hit more than anything. Still, as mentioned by others, you can buy a pred shaft to match the cue. I'm sure Jerry R. would make you a matching one.
 
Yup….have a really nice lambros sneaky that feels great to shoot with but I always keep coming back to a pred shaft because I feel more confident with it. Funny thing is with my P2 I just don't necessarily love the feel of the cue just feel that I shoot better with it overall. Just bought a used old pred spw with a precat shaft and it feels really light and different but I can run packs with it. Hell, as I was going through all my cues this past week I pulled out my first cue I learned to play with which is a really warped unknown sneaky butt with a great first gen 314 and it was like falling in love all over again. Even thought the cue butt is warped like no other it feels right and I can still shoot great with it.
 
I bought a beautiful jd cue that plays ok. It hits really stiff as well. I also have a lucasi with a sock tip that I play great with (see my other thread where I skunked a whole tournament with it). I really like my JD but I play better with the lucasi. I think I am going to try a soft tip on out next. Maybe ki tech?
 
After 30+ years I pretty much know what a cue has to play like to make me happy... I like LD but not super LD so these days I even have to have weight added under the tip to get the deflection right.. In the old days it was only taper, ferrule length/type and tip you really had to play with...... I can fade weight and balance......
 
Yep.. I have a beautiful 6 point lambros and I play with a predator road line lol I want to sell the lambros but have been to lazy to upload the pics and deal with all the questions haha
 
Yes, it's generally self induced though. I played with 5/16 x 14 steel piloted joint cues for a very long time, 1st a old block letter 70's Joss, then a Scruggs I found that played better than that, then a Bob Frey that is just amazing. About 15 years ago before he became uber famous Mike Lambros approached me & told me how much better I'd play with one of his ultra joint cues, that steel piloted joints were outdated technology. He made me a gorgeous cue, I tried to play with that cue for almost a year because I "wanted" that beautiful cue to be my main player. While it played well my game suffered, it wasn't what it once was. After a match where I hadn't played well & was upset about it a friend offered a piece of advice. He said, "I think you should shelve that cue, I've watched you play for a long time & your game dropped the moment you started using it". So I put it away & started using my Frey again & my game came back with a vengeance. Not long after that I relayed this story to Bob in his shop one day while getting some work done & he said," if you find a cue you play well with, stick with it". Simple advice but poignant. You see people on here all the time touting different makers but what it comes down to is what you play best with, it's different for everybody but when you find it, stick with it.
 
Just a thought...

I have this Beautiful 4 pointer Jerry - R -... Absolutely Love this cue... Always promised myself I'd never sell it for personal sentimental value...

Yet, I have this ol retired Predator cue that I love so much and play so much better with over my Jerry Rauenzahn... My shot making is better and my overall confidence is higher with the Predator...

I wish I felt the same way and shot with it the same as my Predator...

Have any of you gone through this... Just venting ☺

Hi,

a good cuemaker should be able to change (or add) the insert of the shaft!
If the Predator cue has an Unilock joint, and the -R- has a 5/16-14 joint, it is not a big deal, to cut the right thread into the shaft without changing the insert.

Shoot straight...
 
I have this Beautiful 4 pointer Jerry - R -... Absolutely Love this cue... Always promised myself I'd never sell it for personal sentimental value...

Yet, I have this ol retired Predator cue that I love so much and play so much better with over my Jerry Rauenzahn... My shot making is better and my overall confidence is higher with the Predator...

I wish I felt the same way and shot with it the same as my Predator...

Have any of you gone through this... Just venting ☺
Of course. Then a year later you pick up the cue again and it feels like magic and you wonder why you quit playing with it.
 
It's like your girl friends some look better others when needed perform better
However I have found that I don't feel the same everyday so I have 3 cues and several shafts,,
Unlike my girlfriends I can't switch every day however my cue I can and do. , I play what ever cue feels best at the time I'm playing





1
 
Back
Top