Do you practice with cue that's not your player?

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I practice with my player and two other cues. All have different pins. The radial is wood to wood while 5/16×18 is flat-face to piloted and 5/16×14 is SS piloted. All different tips. All CF.

They all make balls and don't feel too different. The radial is a bit softer, but pockets like the others.

Does anyone else do this?

terpdad

Registered
IDK if I really have a player. I just play w/ a couple cues & switch when I'm in the mood. I'm hardly elite, though.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question

When I’m playing full time, occasionally I’ll use another cue if I get into a funk or something just doesn’t feel right. I usually will go back to a cue that was my main player for a long time. I have 3 other cues I used for years to choose from that fit that description. One is a Tad I used for years and played great with. So yes it gets some use now and then.

If I’m in action, never. I only use what cue I’ve been using the most. I don’t go off the script too often with cues anyways. I’m very sensitive and can’t play my best or close to it with a different cue. I’d rather it not be that way

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play and practice with my player.
I break with my player also.
My player is the only cue I ever use.
My player has 4 shafts which I rotate every session.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice with my player and two other cues. All have different pins. The radial is wood to wood while 5/16×18 is flat-face to piloted and 5/16×14 is SS piloted. All different tips. All CF.

They all make balls and don't feel too different. The radial is a bit softer, but pockets like the others.

Does anyone else do this?
So I have two identical Jacoby cues I play with (same weight, pins, tips and shaft specs) I only need the one, but purchased the second just in case there was a pool cue apocalypse.

I have three additional playing cues in my collection. My other cues just don't have the feedback the radial Jacoby has.

I don't think it matters if you switch up that much (other than mental).I actually knew so many hustlers who took pride in playing with anything.

Try different cues until you know what feels good (big pins play softer the piloted steel joints).
The only bad habit is switching cues just because you lost a match.

my opinion

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do in practice what you do in the game. Using the same cue produces better consistency.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with a bunch of different cues to figure out what I like- now that I have a better idea, I mostly stick to one

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question

When I’m playing full time, occasionally I’ll use another cue if I get into a funk or something just doesn’t feel right. I usually will go back to a cue that was my main player for a long time. I have 3 other cues I used for years to choose from that fit that description. One is a Tad I used for years and played great with. So yes it gets some use now and then.

If I’m in action, never. I only use what cue I’ve been using the most. I don’t go off the script too often with cues anyways. I’m very sensitive and can’t play my best or close to it with a different cue. I’d rather it not be that way
This. I used to play with one cue and if I got to hitting them bad I had a backup that was much heavier and helped me get back in stroke. Then I started playing with an extension and what I found was I liked a heavier and longer cue and haven’t went back.

I wish I could find a 4 or 5” extension for my Predator butt with Cuetec shaft. The 3” seems short and the *” seems long.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 4 cues , I will switch out once in a while .I don't bet it up anymore so it is not a big deal to me . I mostly play with a ss jointed B Owen .I was in a bit of a slump so I put a Lucasu zero flex point ld shaft on it. I t might be all in my head but I am playing quite a bit better .
Chuckg

Greg M

I use my English pool break cue for American pool, because I wouldn't dream of using my 8.8mm tip for the bigger balls. It's decent enough, I guess.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 4 cues , I will switch out once in a while .I don't bet it up anymore so it is not a big deal to me . I mostly play with a ss jointed B Owen .I was in a bit of a slump so I put a Lucasu zero flex point ld shaft on it. I t might be all in my head but I am playing quite a bit better .
Chuckg
If I find a cheap cue on Amazon I'll give it a go and rotate through the half dozen or so cheap shafts I have available. I find it's mostly weight and then shaft/tip for the finer and/or extreme-er points.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Why would you practice with something you are not losing with all the time?

Reason is your not serious about being best. As you are not controlling everything you can like your Cue.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mattb, Rick Roper will make a carbon extension in any length you want. They are incredibly light. And his service is incredibly fast.

Stickman9

I have several custom cues and I play with all of them when I practice at home, but I don't change cues during a practice session. They are different weights and have different feels. But they have similar balance (ratio of shaft weight to butt weight), so I don't find it too hard to adjust. I have a couple of cues plus a break cue that I will take to a pool room. The rest stay at home.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own several cues, some are true custom cues made by single shop well known makers, some are well known " production" brands- such as Huebler etc. I have had more than 100 cues pass through my ownership at one point or another- a mix of the custom and the production variety.

As per playing with my cues- I will, at times, play with any cue that I desire for a given session; however, if I have a tournament or something lined up, I play with the same cue for a full week prior to using it for competition - I find that within a week of play - your eye, body, and mind will " learn" a particular cue, and there should be no surprises come game time.

Some people just enjoy pool - the game- others, like me, enjoy everything about cues as much as the game itself- I think that it is great to have two hobbies tied to the same pursuit. I could throw cue cases in there as well, fine crafted wood, leather , cases etc- another interesting aspect of a wide encompassing pool passion.

I do have a special favorite player- my personal purchase Richard Black Split Diamond model from 20 years ago - this one always feels the most natural in my hands, even to this day.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep an old sneaky in the trunk of my car that I’ll pull out on rare occasion if I end up playing someplace unexpectedly, but other than that, nope.

I do rotate shafts on my player to keep the tips as close to identical as possible.

Zerksies

i just "retired" my player of 20 years. The value of the cue got too much to be using regularly. Years ago when i tried to start playing again i damaged the cue. I did have the cue maker refinish the cue. But since he's getting old and not doing repairs. I feel i could damage it again.

So i spent a few grand and got some new production cues. Player, break and jump cues. I could give a crap less about production cues getting damaged.

So yes i am practicing with my player cue.

DryFlyTrout

I keep the cue I play with in a case. I have a few random cues on a rack. If I'm just shooting a few balls I might grab a Dufferin off the rack. As much as I'd like to say the cue makes a difference, it doesn't really. As long as it's in decent shape and the tip isn't falling off or something, I don't notice much difference.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would you practice with something you are not losing with all the time?

Reason is your not serious about being best. As you are not controlling everything you can like your Cue.
Me personally (as opposed to me but not personally) I like experimenting. I have 15 joiners and and a bunch of spliced wall cues and the possibilities are already endless. I play as well as I have the time to get around to so no problems not beating or whatever...

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'll play with a stiffer cue for a few days(sometimes weeks or months) and then go back to my normal cue. Switch between Mobley and Showman usually. Showman is in the shop getting worked on, that's OK because I haven't played since early in the year