Do you shoot at this?

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CCOO4DJRn1...kJCp3kEbF3kaRT3kAOh3kAvh4kNsC4kVbK4kWAH4uBnJ@

I didn't want the CB to go into the 4 or miss the shot and make a mess. So I played the 3 to thread the needle between the 9 and the two-ball cluster.

I wanted the CB to either miss the 9 and snuggle up against the 4/8 or to hit the
9 and stay right there.

But I think I played too aggressive to come close to the 4/8 and ended up selling out. Maybe I should have been happy with laying the CB on the bottom rail.

Or shot the shot.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CCOO4DJRn1...kJCp3kEbF3kaRT3kAOh3kAvh4kNsC4kVbK4kWAH4uBnJ@

I didn't want the CB to go into the 4 or miss the shot and make a mess. So I played the 3 to thread the needle between the 9 and the two-ball cluster.

I wanted the CB to either miss the 9 and snuggle up against the 4/8 or to hit the
9 and stay right there.

But I think I played too aggressive to come close to the 4/8 and ended up selling out. Maybe I should have been happy with laying the CB on the bottom rail.

Or shot the shot.

What do you guys think?

Okay, it's difficult for me to say if my shot is possible (diagrams are tough to read) but my goal first and foremost is to leave the 3-ball on the rail. I'm definitely going into the 4/8 and hope to hide behind it.

Your shot is just too low percentage. So much good has to happen and there's too much potential for bad.

CueTable Help

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I think if I were faced with that shape in an important game I would base my decision on how I was hitting them that day. If I was playing well, I'd definitely fire, into the right corner with low left.

The alternative for me is a safety. Not automatic, but not too hard either. The three ball up and back to the head rail, more or less straight, and the cueball into that upper left quadrant behind the four and the eight...Tom

Last edited:

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Jude, with a rolling ball the CB was aiming at the 4. You'd have to stun it into the 8.

But I like your shot. Thanks.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
tpdtom said:
The alternative for me is a safety. Not automatic, but not too hard either. The three ball up and back to the head rail, more or less straight, and the cueball into that upper left quadrant behind the four and the eight...Tom
I know that safety. But this was not possible with the angle I had.

With a rolling ball the CB is going right into the 4. If I play a thick hit on the 3, I risk having the 3 hit the 9 on the way in.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lewdo26 said:
Jude, with a rolling ball the CB was aiming at the 4. You'd have to stun it into the 8.

But I like your shot. Thanks.

Even then, I would play the 3 in that corner and kinda favor undercutting. If you miss, you don't leave much. If you make it, you might get out.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Even then, I would play the 3 in that corner and kinda favor undercutting. If you miss, you don't leave much. If you make it, you might get out.
I see. Got it.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member

CueTable Help

Hi,

I would like to break this into two parts:

1, Aiming

The angle for cutting the 3 to the upper left corner (43*) is very close to a spot shot where the CB is placed on the foot spot (46*).

As our Billiard Aiming Calculator shows, the CB/OB overlap percentage for a cut shot of 43* is 31%. In another words, aim at 1/3 of the ball.

It is really not that severe of a cut. However, psychologically we think is is because the pocket is hidden in the blind spot. :)

2, Estimating the CB path

Let's turn on the tangent line function as show on page 2. When shooting the CB at rolling speed with no english, I believe the CB will come off the 3 and hit the 4 ball on its left side, while the 3 is slowly rolling towards the pocket. The timing is a little unusual to anticipate which also makes the shot to look difficult.

I like Jude's idea about undercutting it

Hopefully some of our excellent instructors/experts on board here (Bob/Randy/Scott/Dave/Mike/Joey/Joe/Steve) will have something more insightful to share with here.. :)

Thanks for the great question!

Last edited:

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very easy safety, and almost guarenteed safety behind the 4 and 8. You could play the cueball 2 rails, or 1 rail, depending on how much angle you have. 3 ball will go to end rail. I don't think many pros in a major situation would go for this.

The orignal posters shot is very risky, and very low percentage. I would rather just send the 3 ball to the other end of the table. Leaving it end rail to end rail. I would never attempt that shot first posted

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the straight back bank on the 3 and float CB up behind the cluster isn't an option because of angle, I would play the 3 as Jude did only firmer and back to the right end rail while drawing CB a little more with inside to miss the 8 and get behind the cluster.

td

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Maybe I'm misrepresenting the position of the 9.

Let's just say both the traditional one rail safety, and missing the 8 with inside draw didn't seem to me a possibility when I was at the table. Because the 3 was hitting the 9 or the CB was going into the cluster.

Otherwise I'd shoot either of those shots before I shot mine, obviously.

I think Jude's got the idea. It was an awkward shot.

If I was confronted with it again, I woulda shot at it because the safety is tough.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it would be almost impossible not to be able to pull of that safety shot though. Unless of course that whole end rail has balls on the end of it lol. If say you can't do that 1 rail shot you can definitely do it 2 rails behind the 4 and 8. Wich you can actually get the cueball frozen inbetween the 4/8 or on one of them.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Yeah, I go with the shot Jason layed out. Matter of fact I even get that cue ball a little more behind the 4-8 so he can't see the 3.
MULLY

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Gatz said:
it would be almost impossible not to be able to pull of that safety shot though. Unless of course that whole end rail has balls on the end of it lol. If say you can't do that 1 rail shot you can definately do it 2 rails behind the 4 and 8. Wich you can actually get the cueball frozen inbetween the 4/8 or on one of them.
The latter is what I tried.

Trust me. The one-railer was not available. Otherwise I would have shot it. Case closed.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another shot you could of done is thinning the 3 on the left side of it send it to the middle of the side rail, get the cueball behind the 4/8 on the other side rail. Even "IF" you let him see the ball its a tough bank.

Last edited:

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Gatz said:
Another shot you could of done is thinning the 3 on the left side of it send it to the middle of the side rail, get the cueball behind the 4/8 on the other side rail. Even "IF" you let him see the ball its a tough bank.
Not available either. Thining it would send it into the cluster. And if you hit it thick and roll it the CB is going toward that pocket.

I'm more convinced than ever that I should have went for the shot. It's tough, but sometimes you gotta shoot.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow then your cuetable diagram is totally wrong. But if you want to be stubborn about it lol. I know you can do this shot. Hit the right side of the 3 send it into the 8 ball behind the 4. Put cueball inline with 4 on side rail. It's actually a very big hiding spot, and easy ball to hit. If you hit the 8 thin you still won't leave him much of the ball. Either way you find a safety. Make him earn it, don't give it away.

Last edited:

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AH HA I GOT ANOTHER ONE!!! LOL. Since you say your going to run into the cluster, then do it. Put the 3 on the end rail roll up into the 4 and 8. Very easy shot. Just hit it at a speed where the 3 is just about got enough speed to hit the end rail. Im sure you will get a nice safety out of this one. Probabley hit the 8 ball stick it behind the 4.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 3 is very very makeable (right corner pocket). I don't see any reason playing safe in this situation unless you are not confident of your pocketing. hit the CB center ball, CB will carom of the 8 (nothing fancy) which give you a good position on the 4 (right corner pocket), then 5. all is relatively easy after pocketing the 3.