Does a Firmer Grip Maximize or Diminish Feel and Touch for the Cueball?

Steve Lillis

I believe the grip and bridge needs to be a personal connection to the cue, like holding a fork, spoon, or knife, we all use a slightly different technique and grip pressure, but it serves the same purpose. I'd recommend experimenting with your grip and pressure to see what really works well for you, if you just "always held the cue lightly" you may be missing out, because many top professionals hold the cue firmly (many times they don't appear to be, like Shane and Dennis O)

When under pressure we tend to "tighten up", so I recommend holding the cue firmer in critical situations. I ask Earl Strickland what his grip pressure is like when he's playing his best and he said "Death Grip"......he was kidding, but you can tell there's nothing loose or dainty about Earl's top game!

There must also be a "groove" established in your bridge so you can feel the cue going absolutely straight. When you get to the point you KNOW your cue is delivered straight and pure through the cue ball you're ready to jump up some levels. I teach how to align your body on each shot to either a Center\Center or Center\Edge reference, this gives your subconscious mind the same beginning position every time and this is VERY important. (The secret is the feet position)

I"ve talked to several champions players about their grip pressure and what they strive for to get the most connection to the game.....what about you, have you tried various grips and grip pressures?
Excellent analysis CJ - different strokes for different folks so to speak! Thanks and keep up the good work my brother! God bless!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
How many balls does Dr. Dave spot SVB? :) :) :)

There are many stages to reaching Shane VB's level, most contemporary teaching like you mentioned will keep players in "pool purgatory" they will practice 2-3 hours a day EVERY DAY and never get any better. When a player really wants to play at the championship level they must be willing to forget most of what they've been told and seen on videos, like many things in this backwards world, the highest level knowledge is almost backwards from what the general population has been led to believe.

bellmagic

Registered
I believe the grip and bridge needs to be a personal connection to the cue, like holding a fork, spoon, or knife, we all use a slightly different technique and grip pressure, but it serves the same purpose. I'd recommend experimenting with your grip and pressure to see what really works well for you, if you just "always held the cue lightly" you may be missing out, because many top professionals hold the cue firmly (many times they don't appear to be, like Shane and Dennis O)

When under pressure we tend to "tighten up", so I recommend holding the cue firmer in critical situations. I ask Earl Strickland what his grip pressure is like when he's playing his best and he said "Death Grip"......he was kidding, but you can tell there's nothing loose or dainty about Earl's top game!

There must also be a "groove" established in your bridge so you can feel the cue going absolutely straight. When you get to the point you KNOW your cue is delivered straight and pure through the cue ball you're ready to jump up some levels. I teach how to align your body on each shot to either a Center\Center or Center\Edge reference, this gives your subconscious mind the same beginning position every time and this is VERY important. (The secret is the feet position)

I"ve talked to several champions players about their grip pressure and what they strive for to get the most connection to the game.....what about you, have you tried various grips and grip pressures?
The proper alignment of both your body and hands help keep your game consistent. Most good shooters hold their cue firmly, but don't grip it like a baseball bat or a splitting maul. Firm, but primarily using your thumb and forefinger, seem to work best, because your wrist and arm seem to align more properly, and keep excess movement out of your cue tip. Gripping your cue like you're swinging for the fences in a baseball game will often move your tip a little off center and cause english you don't want, unless you can practice exactly that way 20 hours a day.

Gman***

And the answer is........ from my perspective is after my bridge hand is down , I tend find a balance point with my thumb and index finger and in the same motion I cradle the cue on my middle and forth finger and then I get that nice feedback with balance and generate speed with my thumb and index finger . However I am not an advanced player , but trying all the time .... CJ ... thanks for all of your instructional material you’ve produced .

Pedestrian

Registered

I have always felt and practiced my stroke similar to the stroke of the bow arm playing the violin. Loose in wrist, the grip and the stroke itself, gentle but firm only when needed.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
There are many stages to reaching Shane VB's level, most contemporary teaching like you mentioned will keep players in "pool purgatory" they will practice 2-3 hours a day EVERY DAY and never get any better. When a player really wants to play at the championship level they must be willing to forget most of what they've been told and seen on videos, like many things in this backwards world, the highest level knowledge is almost backwards from what the general population has been led to believe.
The good part is, even if you try something that seems REALLY out there, if it doesn't work, you can simply discard it into the junk pile. It may sit in the pile forever, or some day you just might find a use for part of what was once considered junk.

I bet if you stood on one foot while shooting for a practice session or two it could be beneficial. You might learn something about balance that's been escaping you otherwise. I'm being a bit facetious by saying to practice with something as odd as standing on one foot but the concept is legit.

Our body is the perfect "AI" and a good AI learns even from bad datasets. You might learn the right way more quickly from doing something wrong. Touch a hot stove and you learn much quicker than by studying thermodynamics, even if you don't understand why hot is hot. We might go along with a hitch in our game for decades because we never tried anything different because it was counterintuitive.

The "hammer" motion seemed really odd when I heard that, but thinking back on my game, if I'm stroking pure, it is that motion. If I get the competition jitters and miscue, it's usually because I did the opposite of a hammer motion like I was trying to make the CB levitate with topspin. Glad for this realization, any avoided miscue is a good thing.

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are great videos I watched them before and very detailed on the grip . Stark has a lot of videos on different fundamentals of the game. Jim Rempe when I took a lesson with him uses a firmer grip and said the second and third finger should have a tighter grip . I asked why he said it keeps you from turning your wrist.

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Stark helped me with my grip. 64- Cue Action the hand that delivers it. Gives a good perspective on the grip.
Here’s the first of three.
07. The Grip part 1
Then
16. The Grip part 2
And then
86. The Grip Part 3 the important element is what helped me the most. The third finger as the trigger.
Barry’s videos are pure gold and there’s a tremendous amount of knowledge in the 143 he has made available on YouTube.
One more on the grip.
116. The Grip Part 4 - Playing the shot
videos on different fundamentals of the game. Jim Rempe when I took a lesson with him uses a firmer grip and said the second and third finger should have