Does anyone know about these balls?

marmac

New here so I hope I found an appropriate spot for this inquiry. ;)
Recently my mom was sorting some old boxes and found some old billiard balls which she gave to me, an 8 ball set and a snooker set.
All balls are smaller than the standard US ball, possibly a UK model?
The 8 ball set needs cleaning and shows signs of wear. The snooker set is in excellent condition. Interesting observation on the 8 ball set - the striped balls are numbered sideways, not like the balls we play with today.
I’m curious if anyone knows anything about these? Are they worth keeping? Or could there be a market for them?

FAB5B212-1B7D-436D-AC40-5DE0EB39D29F.jpeg

8 ball:
69DA5AEC-9913-4F6C-AD72-2845C078ACD5.jpeg

Photo showing size difference from standard American ball:

75BDBDAC-38FB-4390-A7CB-B52EFC91CEE1.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any info/insight!

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker balls would be 2 1/6 inches. They wouldn't normally be numbered though. If they're smaller, english pool tables (6 or 7 foot) use 2 inch balls or sometimes 1 7/8 inches. I'd say these balls were aimed at undersized home tables.

marmac

I tried measuring the snooker balls but can’t really get the accuracy within an 8th of an inch so I’m just not sure. All I know is the 8 ball set is smaller than American standard and the snooker balls are smaller still.

Geosnookery

The numbers are the value of the balls in Snooker (points): no ‘one’ because the reds are one point.

When measuring balls I find it a lot easier to line up six balls. Measure the total length then divide by six. It’s not perfect but the margin for error is a lot less and it’s ‘good enough’

Anyways, neat set. I’ve rarely seen numbered snooker ball Sets. Maybe a couple over 50 years.

Last edited:

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I have an Aramith Snooker ball set that measures 2-1/4" like a standard set of pool balls. They have numbering just like what is pictured. Not sure about second hand market, but the new Aramith set was about $200.