Does installing a ferrule w. hole in it require a cue tip pad?

Paul_#_

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
As an amateur, I have only seen ferrules with a solid surface. I bought ferrules, however, with 0.25" and 0312" holes in them. How are these installed? Only with cue tip pads? Without tip pads?

Thanks

DeeDeeCues

Mostly no. Some that may be prone to splitting may need a pad, but I'd argue that those materials are unsuitable for ferrules, anyway.

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
As an amateur, I have only seen ferrules with a solid surface. I bought ferrules, however, with 0.25" and 0312" holes in them. How are these installed? Only with cue tip pads? Without tip pads?

Thanks
Install the same way you'd install a capped ferrule(the ones with the solid surface). The surface you apply the tip to will be the end of the tenon surrounded by the ferrule material around the perimeter.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

Thanks
I am not a cue maker. It sounds like it's a different type than the capped ferrules you are used to. McDermott used a style like you're talking about. Basically at the end you have wood surrounded by ferrule material. The wood is flush with the ferrule material and the tip glues to both materials.

If you're going DIY route, make sure you measure it and make sure the wood and ferrule top where the tip will install are flush.

Paul_#_

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The ferrules are from vendor Atlas Supplies and are “Juma-Tube Ferrule” SKU:QJUMAF . They sell for less than $3 each.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
The ferrules are from vendor Atlas Supplies and are “Juma-Tube Ferrule” SKU:QJUMAF . They sell for less than $3 each.

I am assuming you mean the tube style and not the capped with the tiny hole (below). If it is the tiny hole then it is a glue relief hole as Micheal said.

If you have the tube style then face it off even with the top of the tenon. and glue the tip on as normal. A pad is optional for whatever your reason.
If you are not threading the tenon add glue lock grooves in the tube and on the tenon.

Tube:
1714748672654.png

Capped:
1714748720635.png

1714749364980.png

1714749694677.png