Double Hitting a Shot - Pool's equivalent of "the Yips"?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a search and saw some previous threads here discussing pool's equivalent of "the yips". We've all strangely badly missed fairly easy shots - often on the 9-ball, and for me often when the CB is close to the rail, that seem unexplainable how such an easy shot could be missed so badly.

However, no one seemed to mention in those threads the act of actually accidentally double hitting the CB - not on a shot when the CB is close to the OB, but a shot in which there is plenty of room between the two. I occasionally more recently have had a problem with this, and curious if anyone else here has as well?

I know for a fact that it is related to pressure - as whenever it happens is when I'm really struggling with my confidence in a match and feeling uneasy over what often should be an easy shot. Sometimes the shooter who commits it is the only one who knows he's done it, as it can be hard for the opponent to pick it up unless they are really paying attention. It's quite embarrassing to call it on yourself, but I almost always do, as I know it's a foul.

I assume it is pretty much the exact same physiological cause as double hitting a short putt in golf, as I used to play golf and I may have done it a time or two in golf as well, and seen it done many times - often with senior players. I assume it results from an involuntary muscle contraction - causing you to decelerate just when you're making or about to make contact with the CB (or golf ball), followed immediately by a involuntary fast acceleration, causing your cue tip (or putter) to strike the ball a second time. It almost always results in a missed shot - often very badly missed on what may seem as a shot that it would be impossible for a good player to miss that badly.

I usually manage to work through it and get to playing good again, but when it happens, it is absolutely one of the worst feelings you can have as a pool player, as it really can do a number on your confidence, as you wonder what the heck is going on and when/if it's going to happen again in the match?

Just curious if others here have experienced this, and if so, how did you overcome it?
 
I'm not some amazing player, and I have never done what you are talking about. Pool's equivalent of the yips is dogging a very easy shot I.e. Alex P's miss on the 9 ball at the world pool masters against Shaw in 2017 I believe.
 
I whiffed using the bridge the other day, semi- pressure shot , first time I'd played this year. I considered it choking, lol. rolled the ferrule right up onto the CB disturbing a few balls in the stack. It was great, sounded good too,lol
 
It's more than just dogging a shot. It's the weirdest thing.

Sometimes I'll get those "yips" (for lack of a better term) and my cue tip will stay with the cueball for several feet and "guide" it back and forth (seriously, I wish had a video of it) before it misses completely. It looks like magic or something. Most would probably think it was photoshopped.

I do think aging has a lot to do with it, as I'm certainly not as nervous as I was when playing as a much younger man, so I blame it on my body, not my mind.

Hydration helps, btw, to squelch it. It seems that calcoium supplements might help, too, not sure about that one yet....still experimenting.

It can be quite embarrassing, too....but luckily, aging makes that much less important, too.
 
I think I’ve made several posts about the yips. I suffer with them still today. They made me quit this game. I have read that Stephen Hendry quit playing snooker because of the yips.


The yips isnt just dogging it or feeling pressure. It’s related to a neurological condition, and probably related to anxiety. For me, I had to figure out triggers just to get through the shot. For example, if someone racked the balls while I wasnt standing at the table, I would have zero chance at breaking the balls with anything resembling a pool players stroke. I’d have about 60% chance at miscuing. Imagine feeling that every time it was time to break the balls. The yips... it’s nothing related to dogging balls.

I’m nowhere near 100%, and maybe never will be. I’m shocked I’m competitive at all anymore. But, I’m playing, a got great teammates and friends that encourage and support me.

The yips are my greatest tragedy, and a cruel enemy to the game I love.

Shalom
 
I think the yips can strike in a variety of ways. It certainly has a psychological element of being uncomfortable and not trusting your training, abilities and muscle memory so you end up forcing it awkwardly against your memory. Sometimes it can have a flavor of trying to hard. That’s ironic in pool because pool is a game requiring immense focus. It’s easy to get lost in the grey area between maintaining focus and trying too hard.

When the yips come, your fundamentals might break down. You might aim without focusing. You might skip aspects of your pre-shot routine. You might lift your head up. You might punch balls instead of stroking them. You might drop your shoulder. You might dog your stroke (decelerate) and then double hit to punch it out. You might over extend a practice stroke (tapping the ball) and then double hit to punch it out.

The yips is a sustained state. They get you for a whole game, match, day or week. It’s more than just digging one shot. I know I’ve experienced days where I just can’t see it.

My theory is that the yips can come for a variety of reasons. Maybe you’re being faced over and over with an area of your game you thought was more developed than it is. Maybe you’ve undermined your brain’s ability to perform (stressed, hungry, hungover, anxiety, intimidated, etc.). Maybe you’ve tried to work on an area of your game lately but doing something different and you’ve unwittingly put your brain in a relearning mode instead of a leverage mode.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
However, no one seemed to mention in those threads the act of actually accidentally double hitting the CB - not on a shot when the CB is close to the OB, but a shot in which there is plenty of room between the two. I occasionally more recently have had a problem with this, and curious if anyone else here has as well?

I use to do this. Not often, but often enough to cause some minor embarrassment. Changed the way I stroked and I can't even remember the last time it's happened.

I can't say if this will help you or not because I do not know how your stroke goes. But what I was doing wrong (for me at least) was stroking at the cue ball with the same speed on the forward and backward stroke. Now I pull the cue back at a slower speed than it goes forward for the contact on the cue ball, depending on how much finesse or power I need for the shot. I have also incorporated a very short (almost unnoticeable but I can feel it) pause at the back of my stroke. Slow back, slight pause, forward as fast as necessary.

Something to try...it don't cost nothin'. Hope you get it fixed.

Maniac
 
Last edited:
I think I’ve made several posts about the yips. I suffer with them still today. They made me quit this game. I have read that Stephen Hendry quit playing snooker because of the yips.


The yips isnt just dogging it or feeling pressure. It’s related to a neurological condition, and probably related to anxiety. For me, I had to figure out triggers just to get through the shot. For example, if someone racked the balls while I wasnt standing at the table, I would have zero chance at breaking the balls with anything resembling a pool players stroke. I’d have about 60% chance at miscuing. Imagine feeling that every time it was time to break the balls. The yips... it’s nothing related to dogging balls.

I’m nowhere near 100%, and maybe never will be. I’m shocked I’m competitive at all anymore. But, I’m playing, a got great teammates and friends that encourage and support me.

The yips are my greatest tragedy, and a cruel enemy to the game I love.

Shalom
Do any of your "yip" strokes include inadvertently double hitting the CB? My condition only occurs on fairly soft stroke shots. On a hard stroke, particularly a break shot, I can't imagine having that problem, but I'm glad to hear you're dealing with it.
 
I use to do this. Not often, but often enough to cause some minor embarrassment. Changed the way I stroked and I can't even remember the last time it's happened.

I can't say if this will help you or not because I do not know how your stroke goes. But what I was doing wrong (for me at least) was stroking at the cue ball with the same speed on the forward and backward stroke. Now I pull the cue back at a slower speed than it goes forward for the contact on the cue ball, depending on how much finesse or power I need for the shot. I have also incorporated a very short (almost unnoticeable but I can feel it) pause at the back of my stroke. Slow back, slight pause, forward as fast as necessary.

Something to try...it don't cost nothin'. Hope you get it fixed.

Maniac
I already have a very slight pause at the back of my stroke. The stroke thought I try to incorporate after this happens on a shot, is to concentrate on making sure I'm accelerating through the ball on my stroke. I also try to convince myself I've executed these shots successfully a million times before, so trust my stroke and don't overthink it.
 
I'm not sure this is even possible. Is there a video anywhere of it happening?

pj
chgo
I assure you it happens! I wish I did have a slow-mo video of it to see what really takes place when this occurs. Perhaps Dr. Dave may see this thread and respond. I would guess he's likely even addressed this phenomenon somewhere in his extensive research of the pool stroke.
 
I assure you it happens! I wish I did have a slow-mo video of it to see what really takes place when this occurs. Perhaps Dr. Dave may see this thread and respond. I would guess he's likely even addressed this phenomenon somewhere in his extensive research of the pool stroke.

Do you actually do a double stab?

For me, my yips almost always occur on firm shots, not soft ones. And I don’t think they result in double hits. I miscue a lot.
 
Last edited:
I'm not some amazing player, and I have never done what you are talking about. Pool's equivalent of the yips is dogging a very easy shot I.e. Alex P's miss on the 9 ball at the world pool masters against Shaw in 2017 I believe.

I saw that and it was brutal.
 
Do you actually do a double stab?

For me, it’s almowt always on firm shots, not soft ones.
I seem to recall that... the stick slows at impact to about half its former speed, and the CB leaves at 1 1/2 times the cue's unreduced speed at impact - so the CB is moving away at about 3 times (?) the cue's after-impact speed. How could the stick catch up?

pj
chgo
 
I seem to recall that... the stick slows at impact to about half its former speed, and the CB leaves at 1 1/2 times the cue's unreduced speed at impact - so the CB is moving away at about 3 times (?) the cue's after-impact speed. How could the stick catch up?

pj
chgo

I assume the first stab barely kisses the cueball so it doesn’t move much.

But reading ChrisNC’s description, it’s almost like a push shot, and then he chases the cueball to hit again, not purposefully but more in spastic, yippish way.

I edited my post, as it seemed to suggest that I double hit on my yipped shots. I don’t.
 
Last edited:
I assume the first stab barely kisses the cueball so it doesn’t move much.

But reading ChrisNC’s description, it’s almost like a push shot, and then he chases the cueball to hit again, not purposefully but more in spastic, yippish way.

I edited my post, as it seemed to suggest that I double hit on my yipped shots. I don’t.
Yeah, what I'm referring to is not the classic "head start" double hit where you accidentally touch the tip of your cue to the CB accidentally on your last pre-stroke and then subconsciously immediately go ahead and continue to stroke the CB without a backstroke. I've seen players do that quite a bit, but I've never done that.
 
Back
Top