DP cues old vs new?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eBays ones have a certificate of authenticity and usually a 1 of 1 thing on the forearm.

Too bad the eBay ones are no more, and people are trying to sell them for double or triple the original price, basically lying about what they are.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So which are the highly collectable Dale Perry?
Sad fact is none really. When he went the 'Ebay route' he ruined the re-sale value of his earlier stuff. I know a guy that has a 'pre-bay' gorgeous birdseye DP. Paid 1500 20+ yrs ago in Vegas. He'd be lucky to get half that now. The '1-of-1' cues were basically a scam imo. They do play good but none are worth what people ask on fleabay.

Jwillie

I visited Dale about 17 years ago, He told me that selling his cues through a distributor wasn't working for him, they wanted to give him nothing and they got the bigger profits. I think all his stuff was cnc at the time, they look nice and play well. I bought one that he just finished while there.

smiling_Hans

Sad fact is none really. When he went the 'Ebay route' he ruined the re-sale value of his earlier stuff. I know a guy that has a 'pre-bay' gorgeous birdseye DP. Paid 1500 20+ yrs ago in Vegas. He'd be lucky to get half that now. The '1-of-1' cues were basically a scam imo. They do play good but none are worth what people ask on fleabay.
Did his quality go down or the same?

I would buy one of his cue for nostalgia. If the quality didn't go down then you could potentially be shooting a cue that is worth thousands at one time.

He may have tanked the value but he didn't tank the quality did he?

DeeDeeCues

I snapped an eBay dp at the a-joint. Felt like snapping a small twig. Some of my friends thought it looked like particleboard core. I thought it looked like larch. Definitely wasn't as sturdy as maple. I'm guessing he used home Depot softwood dowels.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For a few years his pre eBay cues had unilock joints - I owned one and it played very well and was well constructed - I think that the cue was made about 98 to 2002 it had a Cortland linen wrap and ivory ferrules. About 2010 I bought one of Dale’s eBay cues for about $150 - the cue actually played very well at that price - They had radial
Pin joints - I honestly have nothing bad to say about either cue. My oldest brother still has a Dale Perry eBay cue that I bought him about 10 years ago - no issues either.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Post a picture of any in question. His early cues were from several models. No # ‘s only a DP logo. I have one from Dale at the first SBE and it is a heck of a well built, great looking player. Took a few months to build.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think they even play very good.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MY former DP cue- this one was made around late 90s by Dale. All the white was ivory, Cortland linen wrap, beautiful Zebrawood cue- Unilock joint- cue played very, very well, I sold it a few years ago- received only around $300, about the same selling price daleperrycue.jpgas my former DP e bay cue, sold by me around 2020 that I do not have a photo.

smiling_Hans

So the quality did go down with the lowered prices?

I mean if he lowered his price and kept that high quality then you have a steal.

Best cue for the money. Again, I don’t know how they play. Do the make the cue ball dance around the table?

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
[
Do the make the cue ball dance around the table?
They break dance. Do the worm, etc.
The quality cues were well made, thin butt.. real nice to handle. The $99 & up played as good as the player. I have 3. The rings are lifting, cracking in the area on one. The other 2 are holding up very well.

smiling_Hans

[
They break dance. Do the worm, etc.
The quality cues were well made, thin butt.. real nice to handle. The $99 & up played as good as the player. I have 3. The rings are lifting, cracking in the area on one. The other 2 are holding up very well.
Thanks. Basically the quality went down according to price too.

I remember people playing with them when I first started. I was playing with house cues then and Players brand Merry Widow. Lol

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Basically the quality went down according to price too.

I remember people playing with them when I first started. I was playing with house cues then and Players brand Merry Widow. Lol
Nothing wrong with a good house cue. Problem is they are hard to steal.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've had quite a few of them. I liked selling them in the bars to league players looking for a nice cue that didn't break the bank. They were surprisingly nice cues. The fit finish and overall quality made them an absolute steal. Plus I really liked the slightly thinner grip they have.
I see the prices are higher now that he has retired though. The ones I still see around are holding up just great after many years of play which makes me happy since I'm the one who sold them. My experience with his cues has been rather positive overall.