Dream Challenge as Prep—Success

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As proof of how great the Dream Challenge was as preparation for Mosconi, look how well both the Americans and Russians are doing at Euro Cup. Johann looks like a genius right now.

Funny, several US v Russia matches up next.
 
Not trying to be mean to the female on the Rus. squad but we BARELY won this thing with them basically using four players. Don't read too much into this "practice session". This wks event in Holland will be a far better tune-up before coming back for Pat's inaugural Int'l Open. They need some tough match outings to have a chance in Dec.
 
Let’s not forget this was just for prep. Of course we barely won it. We included hopefuls that will clearly not make the team. And gave them experience that could help prepare those hopefuls for future years when they might actually be qualified to represent. Winning it meant nothing in my mind. I think they should have put Oscar up last. Not to win it but because he would learn more from being in that spot than SVB.


Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)
 
Let’s not forget this was just for prep. Of course we barely won it. We included hopefuls that will clearly not make the team. And gave them experience that could help prepare those hopefuls for future years when they might actually be qualified to represent. Winning it meant nothing in my mind. I think they should have put Oscar up last. Not to win it but because he would learn more from being in that spot than SVB.


Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)
Respectfully disagree. SVB needs to learn to put the team on his shoulders. That’s been his issue in Mosconi; he hasn’t liked the pressure of the team counting on him.
 
Respectfully disagree. SVB needs to learn to put the team on his shoulders. That’s been his issue in Mosconi; he hasn’t liked the pressure of the team counting on him.

That's a personality thing, and I wouldn't consider it a character flaw. I HATED jury duty. Not because of the time and hassle, but because I hated making decisions that had a huge impact on lives.

Shane excels when it's only himself to worry about. Having others depending on you is a heavier burden for some than others.
 
Respectfully disagree. SVB needs to learn to put the team on his shoulders. That’s been his issue in Mosconi; he hasn’t liked the pressure of the team counting on him.


This is what happens when you put all your chips in the SVB basket...

1f5dc184c195cb27610535c00ca58c5c.jpg



Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)
 
EXACTLY! that’s why SVB needed to play last in Dream Challenge; so he will perform better at Mosconi.
 
When a captains pick comes up, we need five players to say “put me in coach” and mean it. If he chooses SVB, that’s okay. If you have five players saying “put SVB in”, you have a problem no matter who he chooses.

In my screenshot you have a do-or-die match before the captains pick comes up. They all need to be prepared for that moment, not just SVB. Billy, Sky, or Oscar can all be in that moment Mike was. I’d argue that honestly every match in the cup is that moment. Team USA’s room cannot be lit by a single light.



Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)
 
When a captains pick comes up, we need five players to say “put me in coach” and mean it. If he chooses SVB, that’s okay. If you have five players saying “put SVB in”, you have a problem no matter who he chooses.

In my screenshot you have a do-or-die match before the captains pick comes up. They all need to be prepared for that moment, not just SVB. Billy, Sky, or Oscar can all be in that moment Mike was. I’d argue that honestly every match in the cup is that moment. Team USA’s room cannot be lit by a single light.



Respectfully, Matt
(I don’t take myself too seriously. I hope you can return the favor.)
All the players may say that, we will never know. The captain makes the choice and even Jeremy said that he knows every guy would support the decision to post Shane. But I am also sure every one of them would’ve been happy to (except maybe McMinn, who looked out of it...a bit)
 
sure, dream challenge is a great idea and playing the euro tour will certainly help too. i'm sure it's very beneficial to face some european players with their playing styles instead of playing the same old faces at home.

this year might be a very good mosconi. i hope for ellerman to make the team, he is fearless. he and woodward probably have the best mentality for playing under the pressure in london
 
The coach knows what he's doing! I suggested that the US do something similar with Taiwan years ago. That would be an even greater challenge, but stopping by the Eurotour was a very good move as well.

The Americans have a lot of talent. They need discipline and high level tournament practise. Now it looks like their getting both. I don't think they'll win this Mosconi, but I'm pretty sure they won't be humiliated this time. I think they'll put up a real fight!
 
Back
Top