Drinking Chateau Lafit at McDonalds

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This morning, I contemplated the paradox described by this title. I can't remember the billionaire who used to match Lafit with Big Macs, but while I was playing at home with my Bluegrass, this crazy thought came to me. I have a maple plain jane BG and it simply hits divinely. That being the case, you'd think I'd give up all other cues and play with that alone. However, playing APA in bars most of the time around guys playing with cues out of Kmart, playing barbox with a BG seems an awful lot like drinking Lafit with a Big Mac. So, the question is, does one play the role of the eccentric or go back and play with a lesser cue with a super shaft ???

Your thoughts?

thanks,
tim
 
Good Question...

I also play in a couple leagues that are held in bars. My favorite hitting cue is my Ginacue. But, there is NO WAY that I'm bringing that into a bar.

I have some cheaper sneaky-petes and a couple ~$300 Lucasi's that hit very good. Those are essentially the cues that have always been bar-worthy to me.

Basically it boils down to, what is the highest cost cue that if stolen or damaged, could you live with. Then that would be the cue to take to the bars.

Recently I purchased a couple of Greg Sirca cues. They are great playing and you get a lot of cue for the money. So now I use my snakewood and ivory Greg Sirca cue in the bars, because at $760 -- if it gets stolen, I can live with that.

NOTE: The last two times in the bar, I let my friend shoot with my cue and BOTH times, the next day I noticed a ding in the shaft. About 2 weeks ago, I came out of the bathroom and saw a guy eye-balling my Greg Sirca cue...and motioning to his buddy in a way that made me think he was very close to running off with it.
 
I wouldn't term the use of an expensive cue in a bar, or bar league, "eccentric". It would be foolish in my eyes. After seeing my "bar" cues grabbed or knocked over by drunken fools, dragged around the table like a shovel, or headed for the door when I turned my back for a second, I don't even get out the good stuff unless I'm playing in a pool hall.

Confessions of a wine geek:
It is Lafite, as in Chateau Lafite Rothschild.
 
What you do is simply pay attention to YOUR equipment. I have played in leagues in bars with every cue I have ever owned without any thought to it getting damaged. When you are in a bar, pool room or anywhere it is yoru responsibility to watch your stuff. If you don't want to do that or it would be a burden then take a cue that doesn't matter to you.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to bring an expensive cue just because everyone else is playing with K-Mart specials. I bring the cue I want to play with regardless of what level of cue my opponents use.
 
goodpost.gif
NUFF SAID.
zipmouth.gif
 
Back
Top