Dufferin Wood ID

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Attached are pics of some of my Dufferin Cues. I use them to satisfy my obsession to tinker with wraps, refinishing, retapering etc. Helps keep me from messing with my "good" cues, as many things are better left to pros. Other than the obvious Ebony and maple, I'm at a loss to identify the type of wood Dufferin used. Can any of the pros in this forum help? I've visited some of the wood vendors' websites for info, and can't find an exact match. The two center cues are one piece butts, with some very dark grain lines. Morado maybe? I know whatever wood they are, it was likely cheap, considering Dufferin's pricing. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Bill

Last edited:

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Here are the pics:

Attachments

• Dufferin Forearms.JPG
    Dufferin Forearms.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Dufferin Butts.JPG
    Dufferin Butts.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 167

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billyjack said:
Attached are pics of some of my Dufferin Cues. I use them to satisfy my obsession to tinker with wraps, refinishing, retapering etc. Helps keep me from messing with my "good" cues, as many things are better left to pros. Other than the obvious Ebony and maple, I'm at a loss to identify the type of wood Dufferin used. Can any of the pros in this forum help? I've visited some of the wood vendors' websites for info, and can't find an exact match. The two center cues are one piece butts, with some very dark grain lines. Morado maybe? I know whatever wood they are, it was likely cheap, considering Dufferin's pricing. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Bill

I know that Morado was one of the woods commonly used by Dufferin. I don't think Dufferin was concerned about the price of wood, because of their buying power. I visited their facility a number of times and their wood storage room was massive. They stored their wood in metal mesh containers that were about 5'x5'x5'. I would guess that they had 400 or 500 of these filled with wood at any one time. I remember seeing about 50 or 60 of these containers filled with Gabon ebony.

Last edited:

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Thanks for the response, Roy. I use these for my house cues, bar cues, car cues etc. Once in a while one finds its way to someone who likes the game, but can't afford his own cue yet. I'd rather have them get started with an old Dufferin than some Taiwan POS from WalMart. Amazingly, of the dozen or so I've been through, I've only had one crooked shaft. Many have badmouthed the ugly aluminum / brass "signature" joint, but I've never had a problem.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billyjack said:
Thanks for the response, Roy. I use these for my house cues, bar cues, car cues etc. Once in a while one finds its way to someone who likes the game, but can't afford his own cue yet. I'd rather have them get started with an old Dufferin than some Taiwan POS from WalMart. Amazingly, of the dozen or so I've been through, I've only had one crooked shaft. Many have badmouthed the ugly aluminum / brass "signature" joint, but I've never had a problem.

I bought hundreds of their unfinished cues when they went out of business. I probably sold 500 to 1000 of their finished cues when they were still a going concern. The aluminum joint did freeze up on rare occasions but a little heat on the female end would correct the problem. I still think it was the best cue for the price on the market.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
billyjack said:
Attached are pics of some of my Dufferin Cues. I use them to satisfy my obsession to tinker with wraps, refinishing, retapering etc. Helps keep me from messing with my "good" cues, as many things are better left to pros. Other than the obvious Ebony and maple, I'm at a loss to identify the type of wood Dufferin used. Can any of the pros in this forum help? I've visited some of the wood vendors' websites for info, and can't find an exact match.

Bill it would be hard to find an exact match on the computer because the colors just are not accurate enough. Photos seem to change the hue a bit.
Then there is the finish that could be yellowed with age, or slightly stained.
You can start with a reddish colored butt and once the finish is sanded off it is brown.

billyjack

Registered Loser
Silver Member
Valid point, Will. I've had a few where the finish on the butt was full of cracks. Stripped it off, refinished with lacquer, and the butt no longer matches the forearm with the factory UV finish. I knew my photography skills are too minimal to hope for a positive ID. Rather, considering the experience base in this forum, and the fact that a few gazillion of these are still in circulation, I was hoping to capitalize on the memory of those who have had some of the old Duffs come across the bench for repair. It just amazes me how straight most of these are, especially considering many are one-piece butts, and I wouldn't think a low $$ production company would have the patience in the seasoning process that small volume cuemakers need to have. Thanks for the input.

Bill