Dust Collection for Hightower Deluxe

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
How is everyone doing dust collection on a Hightower Deluxe lathe? Can you post a pic or two of how your doing it? I've tried 2 ways so far and do not like either.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
My setup is not optimum, but I have a shoe that attaches to my router when im tapering. Otherwise I have a large collection inlet positioned near the headstock. And for the room I have a ceiling mounted collector. An enclosure for my lathe table and a two stage collector are my next steps.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
How is everyone doing dust collection on a Hightower Deluxe lathe? Can you post a pic or two of how your doing it? I've tried 2 ways so far and do not like either.

Here's a photo of my 3D printed shoe. On the front sometimes I'll add a cardboard flap to knock the dust down into the collector inlet (which I physically hold in the front gap while turning the cross slide). Almost all of the dust and shavings get thrown rearward, so my goal is to capture the fine dust that circulates inside the shoe and then (mostly) out the front. I do rough turning on a table saw sled so I'm not generating that many bulk shavings from square stock. Eventually I'll print a cover for the front so I can attach my inlet directly to the shoe and free up my hand. And a detatchable servo to the cross slide so I don't have to slowly turn the cross slide for 20 minutes like a fool.

1668124676246.png

1668124729661.png

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a photo of my 3D printed shoe. On the front sometimes I'll add a cardboard flap to knock the dust down into the collector inlet (which I physically hold in the front gap while turning the cross slide). Almost all of the dust and shavings get thrown rearward, so my goal is to capture the fine dust that circulates inside the shoe and then (mostly) out the front. I do rough turning on a table saw sled so I'm not generating that many bulk shavings from square stock. Eventually I'll print a cover for the front so I can attach my inlet directly to the shoe and free up my hand. And a detatchable servo to the cross slide so I don't have to slowly turn the cross slide for 20 minutes like a fool.

View attachment 670551

View attachment 670552
That looks pretty cool.

slim123

Go to etsy and find a boot that its your router body diamter. The hose diameter is important also, however,, those adapters are easy to find

Most that fit a dewalt, will fit the porter cable 7310 router

Last edited:

bruppert

<Insert witty comment>
Silver Member
That looks cool but it appears you are cutting from the back side? That might not work on a hightower lathe as it may hit the taper bar.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
That looks cool but it appears you are cutting from the back side? That might not work on a hightower lathe as it may hit the taper bar.

Yes, good point on the position of the taper bar. That photo is tapering with an offset tailstock for a straight butt taper but you would need to turn everything around if I had the taper bar on. I haven't used it with the taper bar yet, but I could still hold the dust inlet above/behind the router to capture most of the fine debris.

But this is all hopefully temporary as some day I will just enclose my lathe table and have servos to remotely control the cross slide.