Earl Strickland Interview on the Behind Bars Podcast

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He kept saying the pockets should be flared and unforgiving. He says smaller pockets are meaningless if they're straight cut. Frankly I think at 3.5 inches, you don't need jaws.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for straight pool, he thinks it's a better game than the other current ones, but pockets should be 3½", the table should be heated, and there should be a 24-second shot clock. :)
Who knows, maybe he's right and it's worth a try (sounds interesting and fun to me). As much as I love watching pool, I'll admit it's becoming a bit stale.

L.S. Dennis

Earl talks about his "placement pool game" for nearly 20 minutes starting at 47:30.

As for straight pool, he thinks it's a better game than the other current ones, but pockets should be 3½", the table should be heated, and there should be a 24-second shot clock. :)
I for one definitely like the 24 second shot clock especially for modern day 9 ball. And that goes for the countless extensions as well, possibly one extension per match. Watching nine ball today at the professional level is akin to watching paint dry in my opinion.

Cuedup

I for one definitely like the 24 second shot clock especially for modern day 9 ball. And that goes for the countless extensions as well, possibly one extension per match. Watching nine ball today at the professional level is akin to watching paint dry in my opinion.
I like how they keep changing the ball colors. It really helps the viewer stay engaged by trying to figure out which ball they'll be shooting next.

Iwishiwasrich

Ls Dennis, did you see how fast soufie was shooting in the matchroom event this weekend? That dude could shoot with a15 second clock I think

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Earl has personality and he can talk. In terms of players that popularize billiards Earl is high up on the list.

Outdoor pool tables would be awesome for tournaments.

Last edited:

L.S. Dennis

Ls Dennis, did you see how fast soufie was shooting in the matchroom event this weekend? That dude could shoot with a15 second clock I think
Yes I did and I liked watching him shoot that way! I wonder how long a race to 11 would take with him and Earl matching up?

tomatoshooter

I like how they keep changing the ball colors. It really helps the viewer stay engaged by trying to figure out which ball they'll be shooting next.
I think the tables should be different at different tournaments as far as pockets and cloth but the ball colors should be the same

tomatoshooter

Earl talks about his "placement pool game" for nearly 20 minutes starting at 47:30.

I think 3 1/2" pockets would make for a great straight pool match. It may be cool to watch Sigel run 150 because of the big numbers and because we are witnessing a perfect game but seeing the back and forth of guys running 20-40 balls would keep us on the edge of our seats. The small pockets would hopefully mean missed shots instead of safety play. Let's face it, guys trading intentional fouls until the first guy has to shoot besides he's on two, and the ball is 1/8" from where he left it with his first foul is terrible pool. It's a clear flaw in the game that has no benefit from a strategic or spectating standpoint. Let them push out after a foul, either second foul or second foul by the same player gives up ball in hand, anything.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also going on about Golf and Tennis and big bucks.

Pfft. People watch golf and tennis to see beautiful people and their long legs. Pool has mostly unathletic physiques they try to hide with blackout uniforms. I don't think sticking an Earl idea in there is gonna have any effect.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The senior market has more disposable income then the youth market. Putting Earl in the spotlight is breaking records for sports marketing geared towards senior citizens.

Monti

Also going on about Golf and Tennis and big bucks.

Pfft. People watch golf and tennis to see beautiful people and their long legs. Pool has mostly unathletic physiques they try to hide with blackout uniforms. I don't think sticking an Earl idea in there is gonna have any effect.
I’d like to mention Jasmine,Margaret and Jennifer as a counterbalance to your argument !!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d like to mention Jasmine,Margaret and Jennifer as a counterbalance to your argument !!
No question babes are part of the pooling population but they gotta give up the dress code and the extra rep for the rest of the field. Sexist overtones are a function of <that's what sells on TV>.