Earl Strickland lessons @ Steinway

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Pete Fusco answered:
71ac449dafa872bbcdb175dd98a58cc7.png

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

The girl at the counter acted like she knew everything and she didn't know $#!+ I would almost bet that Karen is still living in Tennessee or wherever she moved to and not back there

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The girl at the counter acted like she knew everything and she didn't know $#!+ I would almost bet that Karen is still living in Tennessee or wherever she moved to and not back there

I HEARD she moved back to Philly at least 2 years ago. She was in Tenn because her BF lived there and it didnt work out. Just what i heard-couldbe wrong

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

So I was saying... :D

jbygden

Registered
So, I'm now in contact with Diana Hoppe, who helps Earl with bookings.
He lives in Philadelphia but will travel to NY for lessons.

Skickat från min iPhone med AzBilliards Forums

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, I'm now in contact with Diana Hoppe, who helps Earl with bookings.
He lives in Philadelphia but will travel to NY for lessons.

Skickat från min iPhone med AzBilliards Forums

Dunno your travel situation but it may be worth it for you to venture to Fusco's, which is regarded as one of the best pool halls on the East Coast. It's also north, north, northeast Philadelphia. Practically Trenton.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Dunno your travel situation but it may be worth it for you to venture to Fusco's, which is regarded as one of the best pool halls on the East Coast. It's also north, north, northeast Philadelphia. Practically Trenton.

The problem with the place is that it's a private club, so it's filled with cigarette smoke. Haven't been to Drexeline yet, maybe next weekend.
Jason

jbygden

Registered

I'm contemplating that, if for no other reason than to pay for my travel instead of Earls travel to NY.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is that where Earl plays regularly now?

Why did he move out of NY? It seems like he had a good thing going at Steinway.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This year's Super Billiards Expo is held again in Phoenixville PA, a suburb of Philadelphia. Largest annual pool event on the east coast of the United States.
http://www.superbilliardsexpo.com/

If you can't catch Earl there, consider NYC as your next stop. Past years, immediately after SBX, most of the pros head up to NYC for the tournaments there.

Cheers, that's worth investigating further.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This year, Appleton's World Pool Series will be held two days after the SBX at Steinway.

BFrench501

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd just like to add that I have had a lesson with Earl for 2.5 hours while he was in the UK doing an exhibition tour.

He was a nice person. Very attentive to the smallest details. Some of what he taught me I have experimented with and since discarded, but as has been said by others in the thread, pulling back slowly has been a massive help in my game. I’ve gone from being a good practice player to winning comps regionally and competing with some fantastic players on the GB9 Tour in the UK.

When Earl speaks, you listen. If you do well he gives you praise. If you don’t do as he says he will rap you hard until you get it right.

I would love to spend a week with him exclusively being coached. Funnily enough his excessive use of spin has made me less inclined to use spin. But there are some superb knowledge shots. One of my favourites is one which he said he learned from Efren where Efren grazes the ball so as not to move it. Considering he’s in his 50’s – Earl’s eyesight is still good enough to see the fine edges of balls. That man is healthy I tell you!

One of the nicer points during my time with him, is that he actually does have a lot of respect for Ralf Souquet.

brooklynplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just chiming in that I've had a couple of lessons with Earl (2 or 3) and they were fantastic.

He's one of your biggest fans when he sees you improve - which I did.

Basic beginner when I had my first one to getting bumped up in ABC's 14.1 league for last season.

Earl is a complete gentleman and really enjoys seeing students improve. It's a touch unfortunate that this side of his personality sometimes doesn't come off in competition, but he really is a classy guy.

His big focus is the bridge - he will work with you so that your closed bridge has no play whatsoever when you slide the cue through it - your fingers on the other hand will feel pretty bent out of shape after tho ha!

Best money I ever spent - can't comment on his current rates but he changed 75/h with a 2 hour min - worth it to really work through his concepts and then walking through a bunch of racks with his material - he literally points out where to aim and how hard to hit thru racks of 9 ball once he feels you can get a handle on his approach the bridge and stance etc

Hope that helps.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just chiming in that I've had a couple of lessons with Earl (2 or 3) and they were fantastic.

He's one of your biggest fans when he sees you improve - which I did.

Basic beginner when I had my first one to getting bumped up in ABC's 14.1 league for last season.

Earl is a complete gentleman and really enjoys seeing students improve. It's a touch unfortunate that this side of his personality sometimes doesn't come off in competition, but he really is a classy guy.

His big focus is the bridge - he will work with you so that your closed bridge has no play whatsoever when you slide the cue through it - your fingers on the other hand will feel pretty bent out of shape after tho ha!

Best money I ever spent - can't comment on his current rates but he changed 75/h with a 2 hour min - worth it to really work through his concepts and then walking through a bunch of racks with his material - he literally points out where to aim and how hard to hit thru racks of 9 ball once he feels you can get a handle on his approach the bridge and stance etc

Hope that helps.

I dont see how the bridge can be so damn important when Appleton has won everything there is with an open bridge.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
I'm simply saying what earl teaches in his lessons - in case that wasn't clear.

You don't need to justify anything. Earl is a great teacher and person beyond competing. Until you meet him in a social atmosphere you won't get it.

Looks like you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tronpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok....ill come clean.....
This is Ron, manager at Fuscos the spot.

As anticipated....Earl has moved into town last week with his girlfriend.
Right down the street from where I live and grew up....and 10 min from the room.
So...as Hes settling in and getting acclimated to our area. He will be coming in regularly during the day to practice and if he wishes , give lessons.

We welcome him to our room, he wasn't hired or recruited by us to be a "house pro" or a form of business publicity/attraction/ sideshow.

Aside from a few extended privileges from the owner(Pete fusco) and I ..he will be one of the guys.
I know he will feel welcome and fit right in.
We all like to joke around ..tell stories and play pool.

I do ask that you book lessons thru his primary sources. I will take a name and number on the house phone but to keep his privacy intact I wont "put earl on" the phone with you unless I know you.

Addressing a few of the other posts on here....

Karen Corr is still here and also books lessons.

Our room is easily accessible from the train. From Trenton or philly and beyond.
Septa R3 line to Neshaminy falls station and just up the hill 2 blocks.

Our room is a social club, so every one must become a member....( including earl) ...to use the facility.
We are a smoking room but between the 25k we just spent on air filtration systems and that during the day only a few guys smoke. So its not bad in there at all.

Additional info is on our facebook page.

So there it is ....straight from the house mans mouth.

Any other questions?...

TRON....signing out.