Early CTE Offsets

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At around the 9 minute mark in the support video linked to below, Stan talks about the CTE offset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Psy5hOJT0

He says that he originally taught just the CTE line and had a hard time explaining exactly where the offset was. Can anyone explain how the sweep was accomplished in the early days, and why that system's not "good enough" as he says?

I can pick up the CTE line from a wide variety of offsets, but I'm just sweeping in by instinct. Even without using the ETA, ETB, or ETC lines (which I can't seem to pick up easily), though, I can make a remarkable number of shots. Am I just fooling myself, or can the system work well using just the CTE perception and learning the proper offsets through experience?

Sorry if this isn't clear, I have a hard time explaining my thoughts on this subject.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At around the 9 minute mark in the support video linked to below, Stan talks about the CTE offset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Psy5hOJT0

He says that he originally taught just the CTE line and had a hard time explaining exactly where the offset was. Can anyone explain how the sweep was accomplished in the early days, and why that system's not "good enough" as he says?

I can pick up the CTE line from a wide variety of offsets, but I'm just sweeping in by instinct. Even without using the ETA, ETB, or ETC lines (which I can't seem to pick up easily), though, I can make a remarkable number of shots. Am I just fooling myself, or can the system work well using just the CTE perception and learning the proper offsets through experience?

Sorry if this isn't clear, I have a hard time explaining my thoughts on this subject.

Sounds like you might actually be using something closer to 90/90.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you might actually be using something closer to 90/90.

Interesting. Well, it sure works OK whatever it is I'm doing. :)

I know I'm not deliberately pivoting to CCB, just kinda using a CTE perception to allow me to easily see the correct shot line. From there I just sort of slide into the line and shoot along that. Not very scientific, I know, that's why I'm questioning it.

So, what is Stan talking about in the video then? Has CTE always included both CTE and ETA etc, or did he add those later on?

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Well, it sure works OK whatever it is I'm doing. :)

I know I'm not deliberately pivoting to CCB, just kinda using a CTE perception to allow me to easily see the correct shot line. From there I just sort of slide into the line and shoot along that. Not very scientific, I know, that's why I'm questioning it.

So, what is Stan talking about in the video then? Has CTE always included both CTE and ETA etc, or did he add those later on?

CTE originally was understood as a one line system. The name center-to-edge implies just that.

As my experience grew with CTE, I became aware that an evolution had occurred in that I was seeing as well as teaching thicker and thinner CTE alignments. Early on I had no way to describe the specific CTE perceptions as far as to what made it thick vs thin.

Later I learned that the edge of the cue ball was at the core position for the thinner alignments and the quarters of the OB for the thicker alignments. This is one example of how CTE has progressed over time.

CTE represents a series of very structured visual alignments that must be followed by a slight rotation to CCB for connecting with the pockets.....This structure is really spotlighted when it comes to multiple rail banking.

Anyway, it seems as though you are rotating into your shots. That is great and you are well on your way to learning more and more....ONE thing about CTE is that it always continues become easier and easier.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited: