Efren plays his best overall...

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Gold Crowns! Does anybody else think this to be true? I've watched a lot of Efren's footage over the last 15 years and it seems that he has played his best pool on Gold Crowns. There are many memorable matches, including but not limited to, the "Color of Money Hong Kong Challenge."

After typing this I suppose this statement could be true of most players of his era. Maybe I just notice it more in his game. :confused:

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On Gold Crowns! Does anybody else think this to be true? I've watched a lot of Efren's footage over the last 15 years and it seems that he has played his best pool on Gold Crowns. There are many memorable matches, including but not limited to, the "Color of Money Hong Kong Challenge."

After typing this I suppose this statement could be true of most players of his era. Maybe I just notice it more in his game. :confused:

I agree completely. Several players (HOF'rs) have said the same thing... and it isn't just the pockets (not so much size as pocket cut)... Archer for a very long time was willing to gamble high on a real tight gold crown but would avoid diamonds...

I think it has to do more with the rails ( not just banks but position play) and the way spin takes (or fails to take) while the cue is on the rail .... (an Earl ism...)

going form GC to diamonds for many was like getting use to a new woman after 25 years with the previous one...... it is doable, but do you REALLY want to put in the work? :rolleyes:

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
You could also add quite a few to the list imo. Mike Sigel, Nick Varner. I think they all play better on a GC. Most of them grew up on them.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Efren did pretty well at DCC playing on Diamonds.

I think age is a big factor here, Diamond wasn't even around for a big portion of his career.