Epiphany

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for 40+ years with a loose, sloppy bridge, chasing my stroke from night to night, always wondering when i would loose my tenuous grasp and for how long this time. It maybe didn't help that i played with a broomstick-like 14mm shaft until a few months ago. I bought a Lucasi with a pro taper, and struggled to loop my index finger tightly enough to pinch the toothpick stick against my middle finger. That never ever really worked either.

Tonight, i held my thumb such that it wedged 3 solid bone contract points, countered against a loosely looped index finger. The middle finger isn't involved at all. What a world of difference. I aimed it, locked it, stroked it, and watched balls fall with effortless regularity.

I'm simply stunned with how hard and long i struggled only to arrive at this simple truth. I'm wondering now if this was self induced, or whether the general teaching of fundamentals is flawed. How solid and rigid is your bridge?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I played for 40+ years with a loose, sloppy bridge, chasing my stroke from night to night, always wondering when i would loose my tenuous grasp and for how long this time. It maybe didn't help that i played with a broomstick-like 14mm shaft until a few months ago. I bought a Lucasi with a pro taper, and struggled to loop my index finger tightly enough to pinch the toothpick stick against my middle finger. That never ever really worked either.

Tonight, i held my thumb such that it wedged 3 solid bone contract points, countered against a loosely looped index finger. The middle finger isn't involved at all. What a world of difference. I aimed it, locked it, stroked it, and watched balls fall with effortless regularity.

I'm simply stunned with how hard and long i struggled only to arrive at this simple truth. I'm wondering now if this was self induced, or whether the general teaching of fundamentals is flawed. How solid and rigid is your bridge?

I'd say self induced, well, actually you said so yourself ;) "I played for 40+ years with a loose, sloppy bridge, chasing my stroke from night to night"

Glad it finally hit you, but mechanics/stroke is the core to everything. Without it, you'll never have consistency. Most folks know it, and won't change, because it's not really that important to them. If they win a few games and stay as an APA 4 for life, I don't think they mind really. They will always be wanted on a team. But 6's and 7's not so much ;)

Last edited:

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
The thing about a stroke/bridge is there isn't necessarily a "correct" way. There are certainly best practices that will go a long way to improving your game but they aren't carved in stone. Personally, I think the most important aspect of anyones stroke/bridge is repeatability. It really doesn't matter what it looks like (within reason) as long as its consistent and repeatable, which or course would exclude a loose sloppy bridge.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like your understanding of what fundamentals are taught is what is flawed.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
-- snip --How solid and rigid is your bridge?

Earl Strickland has emphasized a solid bridge in all of this lessons I have seen. Not only that, look at the lengths he goes through now to keep it steady. First thing I look at also when I see someone with a wobbly tip as they aim and hit the cueball, their bridge hand is often balanced in some odd way.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Always glad when someone finds a way to pick their game up a notch or two. Congrats. Now can someone help me grab another gear? ... lol.

mikewhy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My old closed bridge wasn't awful, just not rigid as it is now. With the butt removed and holding just the shaft, there is very little resistance to swiveling and rocking when moving the joint end around. I could aim with all possible care but still screw up on the actual hit. The difference now is there's very little side play, and maybe just enough rocking to absorb the natural rise and dip of the swing. I notice the difference most after just one day by bridging semi open on the rail. Where it used to feel more or less equivalent to a closed bridge, I now notice the loose floppiness.

My amazement earlier was that not once when I sought help did the discussion go any farther than, "Is the bridge solid? Show me." And then some head nodding after some moments of squinting and scrutinizing. I didn't know it could be locked down tight. I don't recall mention of it in anything i read or heard. If I did hear or read it, I'm sure I paid no attention. That part's been solid for decades. Right?