ethnic cue makers.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this may be very politically incorrect, but are there any black cue makers? I would think one would have a real opportunity to market to the black players much in the way FUBU does, assuming they build good cues in the first place. If I was black and had an interest, I would seriously think about it. That kind of marketing works. Of course, I don't know that there are not black cue makers now who just don't use that kind of marketing strategy. I had black player asked me this the other night and I did not know what to tell him, that is why I bring it up.

Buddha Jones

The Enlightened One
Silver Member
Well I am black, and I am interested in making cues, but it is a hard profession to get into, cost and time wise not to mention the skills needed to produce a good playing cue. But even if I was able to get into the business, I don't think I could see a marketing angle that I would use. I don't know if I would even think about making a product for a target market. I don't know about you, but I've only seen pictures of about 8-10 cue makers, and I could probably only recognize, Blud, Paul Drexler and Eddie G if I ever saw them again. I guess what I am getting at is that if I targetted my product towards a certain market, then that would make me feel like I was only in it for the money, and other people may see it as that too, and that is not the reputation that I want to build for myself. The main reason that I want to start building cues is so that I can see all of the designs that I have come up with in real life.

PS. It is not politically incorrect for asking :D

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuemaers

Buddha Jones said:
Well I am black, and I am interested in making cues, but it is a hard profession to get into, cost and time wise not to mention the skills needed to produce a good playing cue. But even if I was able to get into the business, I don't think I could see a marketing angle that I would use. I don't know if I would even think about making a product for a target market. I don't know about you, but I've only seen pictures of about 8-10 cue makers, and I could probably only recognize, Blud, Paul Drexler and Eddie G if I ever saw them again. I guess what I am getting at is that if I targetted my product towards a certain market, then that would make me feel like I was only in it for the money, and other people may see it as that too, and that is not the reputation that I want to build for myself. The main reason that I want to start building cues is so that I can see all of the designs that I have come up with in real life.

Hey Buddha jones, Call me and I can give you a price for teaching cuemaking and cost on cue machinery. Also, can tell you who is and who are not cuemakers. Some call themselves cuemakers. They can't make a ball. How can they build a great playing cue, if they know nothing about playing and what to expect out of a cue?????????????????Yes, you guessed it, MONEY, that's all they are interested in, just the cash....

Don't worry what others think, if you target a special group, black/white/red/brown/or whatever.
give me a call, sir..
blud
830-232-5991

Buddha Jones

The Enlightened One
Silver Member
I hear ya, I don't wanna target anything but the object ball. Really, all I want is to hold one of my designs in my hand, it would be that much sweeter if I could say that I made it, and even better than that would be if my peers thought it was a great cue.

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Buddha Jones said:
I hear ya, I don't wanna target anything but the object ball. Really, all I want is to hold one of my designs in my hand, it would be that much sweeter if I could say that I made it, and even better than that would be if my peers thought it was a great cue.
tap, tapity, tap tap... that's what is about, wait until you hold your first one, and then wait until you pot the first ball with your first one, and wait until you win with your first one, the latter, blows the first completely out of the water...

Thanks

Jon <- JT Cue's - Oh what a feeling...

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddha Jones said:

I don't mean market exclusive to just one market, but I know many black players may like the idea of cues with some theme designs that reflect their heritage, instead of the same old-same old, especially if the cue maker was himself black. Cue making is a small nitch market anyway. If a cue maker could tap into an exclusive market, and there are a lot of black players, he should do it.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jon

BiG_JoN said:
tap, tapity, tap tap... that's what is about, wait until you hold your first one, and then wait until you pot the first ball with your first one, and wait until you win with your first one, the latter, blows the first completely out of the water...

Thanks

Jon <- JT Cue's - Oh what a feeling...

Hey Jon, missed you man. Haven't herard from you in quit a spell.

Hope your cues are coming along good.send me pictures, bro....
bludworth@direcway.com
blud

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
macguy said:
I don't mean market exclusive to just one market, but I know many black players may like the idea of cues with some theme designs that reflect their heritage, instead of the same old-same old, especially if the cue maker was himself black. Cue making is a small nitch market anyway. If a cue maker could tap into an exclusive market, and there are a lot of black players, he should do it.
There have been quite a few US cuemakers who have done ethnic designs. CMs like Jerry Franklin, R. Black, Judd F. and Paul Drexler who made this amazing Native American themed cue. I also have done some like the Japanese "Noh Masks", African Masks, My SW 508-97 project which has a Native American flavor and the Chinese lucky "Eight Horses" cue.

Buddha Jones

The Enlightened One
Silver Member
Ethnic designs, yes, theme cues are one thing, I call them gallery cues. If made by the right person it can be funtional art. If my heart drove me to make a cue of that nature then I would, but I wouldn't build a cue and put an inlay of Africa in the butt sleeve in hopes that African Americans would buy it. I probably could get away with it because I am black, but that would be a fleecing of my social honor. My family tree traces me back to Paris, France, that is where my grandfather was born. I can't even talk to half of my uncles because they only speak French. I'll let someone else take 'advantage' of that. But if someone asked me to do it for them, that would be a totally different story.

Buddha Jones

The Enlightened One
Silver Member
Now that I think about it, those designs that I sent you Blud looked kinda 'Ethnic' didn't they, though that was not the intent.