Eyeglasses

Sweet Marissa

www.Bella-Muse.com
2wld4u said:
My eye Doctor told me I had an astigmatism, He told me this after looking through a thing with a bunch of holes in it, looking through that I have perfect vision.... My perscription really isnt that strong, but I was told I would need "speacial" contacts, First can someone explain exactly what astigmatism is, and why I need those high dollar contacts.. Im really frustrated at the moment...

2wld4u
Your corneas are shaped like an oval opposed to being spherical. Light ends up focusing on more than one point in the eye, causing your vision to blur.

The special contacts are called torics.

2wld4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweet Marissa said:
Your corneas are shaped like an oval opposed to being spherical. Light ends up focusing on more than one point in the eye, causing your vision to blur.

The special contacts are called torics.

hmm, well, that explains alot.. Thanks......

I suppose I'll get the contacts, this has really been a pain for me, if the contacts doesnt help, is there anything else I could possibly do?

2wld4u

Sweet Marissa

www.Bella-Muse.com
2wld4u said:
hmm, well, that explains alot.. Thanks......

I suppose I'll get the contacts, this has really been a pain for me, if the contacts doesnt help, is there anything else I could possibly do?

2wld4u
I would go ahead and have LASIK done. I was legally blind with astigmatism and I love being able to see without glasses or contacts! In the long run it will be worth it. Replacing those special contacts will be a pain in the bum.

Where in the country are you located? I have doctor friends in Georgia and Alabama who would give you a good deal on it.

2wld4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sweet Marissa said:
I would go ahead and have LASIK done. I was legally blind with astigmatism and I love being able to see without glasses or contacts! In the long run it will be worth it. Replacing those special contacts will be a pain in the bum.

Where in the country are you located? I have doctor friends in Georgia and Alabama who would give you a good deal on it.

Virginia...

I really, really, want to be rid of glasses and/or contacts... I just cant get confortable with it... What is LASIK? lazer, eye surgery I assume, but how can they make my eye round?

2wld4u

SlimShafty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't get LASIK, I have large pupils:(

Waiting for future advancements, although I'm intrigued by "Orthokeratology" the contacts you wear at night that reshape the surface of the eyes, seems to be getting better and also safe and reversible.

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you should stare at a candle until your eyelashes burn off like Shoeless Joe Jackson in Eight Men Out.

cscott67

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some good info already posted......

Mawissa, be careful pushing Lasik and other corrective surgeries so hard, you will make enemies and help ruin someone's vision if things don't go as planned........
(I am happy that yours went well)

Do your homework here on the net if you are considering any type of corrective surgery. There are pro's and con's, and unfortunately it does not always work out the way you wanted it too.

Someone asked about "shooting" lenses (yellow reduces glare and increases contrast), that's why a lot of boaters use them as well. As previously mentioned, a good glare/anti-reflective coating is a must. If any of you need help in the Chicago/Milwaukee area feel free to send me a PM, Scott

Sweet Marissa

www.Bella-Muse.com
2wld4u said:
Virginia...

I really, really, want to be rid of glasses and/or contacts... I just cant get confortable with it... What is LASIK? lazer, eye surgery I assume, but how can they make my eye round?

2wld4u
You'd have to ask your doctor about that. I think the lasers "mold" the corneas but I'm not sure. Everyone is different, but your doc will be able to tell you if you're a candidate. If you decide to go with it, ask around and get referrals!

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
cscott67 said:
Mawissa, be careful pushing Lasik and other corrective surgeries so hard, you will make enemies and help ruin someone's vision if things don't go as planned........

Do your homework here on the net if you are considering any type of corrective surgery. There are pro's and con's, and unfortunately it does not always work out the way you wanted it too.

Someone asked about "shooting" lenses (yellow reduces glare and increases contrast), that's why a lot of boaters use them as well. As previously mentioned, a good glare/anti-reflective coating is a must. If any of you need help in the Chicago/Milwaukee area feel free to send me a PM, Scott

Of course with a yellow lens you have to be careful and not pull a Strickland. He mistakenly thought the one ball was the cueball. Ouch!!!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
cscott67 said:

tap tap tap

Five years spent farting around with contacts, etc. until my Opthamologist decided lasik was a viable option. Two surgeries and over $5K later and I'm still wearing glasses. And the cue stick still appears crooked.

:cool: Not cool.

There's an new procedure available in some places that actually places a lens in your eye. If your prescription changes, they can easily change the lens.

Ask around, ask around, ask around...you don't get too many chances with your eyes.

Jeff Livingston

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Basically

2wld4u said:
My eye Doctor told me I had an astigmatism, He told me this after looking through a thing with a bunch of holes in it, looking through that I have perfect vision.... My perscription really isnt that strong, but I was told I would need "speacial" contacts, First can someone explain exactly what astigmatism is, and why I need those high dollar contacts.. Im really frustrated at the moment...

2wld4u

2wild4u ... It is the inability to see certain things at a certain angle,
or in your peripheal vision. Look straight ahead and without moving
your eyes, try to see something at about an 70-80 degree angle on
the side (it's like having blind spots at the sides at certain angles),
and you have to turn your head to see what's at the side clearly.
Now, with astigmatism at the back of your eye, you can correct
with soft contacts, but if you have it at the front and back of your
eyes (which I do), you have to wear hard or gas permeable lenses
to correct it. And my personal opinion regarding contacts, hard lenses
such as Polycon2's are smaller, more comfortable, and clearer than
soft lenses. Soft lenses's vision fluctuates too much with the environment
(air conditioning, heat, sun, smoke), and they require cleaning more
often because of it. That has been my experience. I have tried
experimental soft/hard lenses. I started wearing Polycon2's when
they were first an experimental lense. I also have damaged corneas.
Hope that helps.

A word of caution ... With RK and CK type procedures, if they don't come
out exactly right, they can do an additional procedure to correct, but with
Lasik, if it comes out wrong, you could be stuck with what you got, and it
could not be correctable because part of the cornea is gone.

Here in Wichita, we have Dr. Bruce Grene, who started RK, has taught
3-4000 eye doctors around the world, and offers CK, and Lasik procedures
also. His group is called The Grene Vision Group. He assisted the very first
RK procedure done when he was in Harvard Medical School, and became
the pioneer in the field.

Last edited:

2wld4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
2wild4u ... It is the inability to see certain things at a certain angle,
or in your peripheal vision. Look straight ahead and without moving
your eyes, try to see something at about an 70-80 degree angle on
the side (it's like having blind spots at the sides at certain angles),
and you have to turn your head to see what's at the side clearly.
Now, with astigmatism at the back of your eye, you can correct
with soft contacts, but if you have it at the front and back of your
eyes (which I do), you have to wear hard or gas permeable lenses
to correct it. And my personal opinion regarding contacts, hard lenses
such as Polycon2's are smaller, more comfortable, and clearer than
soft lenses. Soft lenses's vision fluctuates too much with the environment
(air conditioning, heat, sun, smoke), and they require cleaning more
often because of it. That has been my experience. I have tried
experimental soft/hard lenses. I started wearing Polycon2's when
they were first an experimental lense. I also have damaged corneas.
Hope that helps.

A word of caution ... With RK and CK type procedures, if they don't come
out exactly right, they can do an additional procedure to correct, but with
Lasik, if it comes out wrong, you could be stuck with what you got, and it
could not be correctable because part of the cornea is gone.

Here in Wichita, we have Dr. Bruce Grene, who started RK, has taught
3-4000 eye doctors around the world, and offers CK, and Lasik procedures
also. His group is called The Grene Vision Group. He assisted the very first
RK procedure done when he was in Harvard Medical School, and became
the pioneer in the field.

Thanks, Thats why I was asking what the procedure envolved, I'll talk to my doc to see whats up, actualy Im in a sinking boat, if contacts doesnt do it, and if some quack messes up my vision for good, the end result will be the same... no more pool.. I might as well face the hard reality that I'll never be able to compete, not on a compeditive level...

I can live with eye glasses, even contacts, but ruining my vision or whats left of it ...... Im not sure I could justify the risk

and yes, my peripheal vision seems to be pretty bad, whitch I hadnt noticed to much untill you said something... I can see objects but cant make out what they are...

Dang shame to, after realizing I have a real eye site problem, If my eyes were good, I know my game would be up 75%.. I take pride in my accuracy, and its always been hard for me to "see" the shots, I worked really hard to get where Im at and now I know for sure that I rarely miss.. Im doing everything right, and I know sometimes some shots look "differnt" and thats when I useualy miss.. Plain and simple I lined up wrong...

Wow, this is a real rude awakening for me, I mean ive tried to fight it, with my heart and soul, shear intuition has kept me "in the game" I do appologize for rambling, please understand i have fought this battle for a long time...

i think I need to take some time to think about where Im headed...

2wld4u

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
2wld4u said:
Thanks, Thats why I was asking what the procedure envolved, I'll talk to my doc to see whats up, actualy Im in a sinking boat, if contacts doesnt do it, and if some quack messes up my vision for good, the end result will be the same... no more pool.. I might as well face the hard reality that I'll never be able to compete, not on a compeditive level...

I can live with eye glasses, even contacts, but ruining my vision or whats left of it ...... Im not sure I could justify the risk

and yes, my peripheal vision seems to be pretty bad, whitch I hadnt noticed to much untill you said something... I can see objects but cant make out what they are...

Dang shame to, after realizing I have a real eye site problem, If my eyes were good, I know my game would be up 75%.. I take pride in my accuracy, and its always been hard for me to "see" the shots, I worked really hard to get where Im at and now I know for sure that I rarely miss.. Im doing everything right, and I know sometimes some shots look "differnt" and thats when I useualy miss.. Plain and simple I lined up wrong...

Wow, this is a real rude awakening for me, I mean ive tried to fight it, with my heart and soul, shear intuition has kept me "in the game" I do appologize for rambling, please understand i have fought this battle for a long time...

i think I need to take some time to think about where Im headed...

2wld4u

From what you've said so far, I'd say you're doing pretty good with your eyes despite the new changes you're experiencing.

What if you quit looking at this (pun intended) as a problem and started seeing it as just another exciting challenge in pool, another opportunity to use your mind to overcome nature's relentless fury?

Ask yourself, if this had happened when you were a youngster, wouldn't you have gotten used to it right away and lived your life almost normally, anyway? That can still be done pretty much at any age, can't it?

What if these new changes actually have you paying better attention to your pool, thus helping you overcome some other obstacle(s) in your game, and you get better instead of worse?

I ask, because this is what happened to me. I've been "forced" by my eye changes in the last 6 or 7 years to develop new aiming techniques, build a better stroke, increase my ability to know when I'm lined up whacky so I readjust, the patience to accept the misses and a improved procedure to help me overcome them on the next shot. I've added special stuff to my diet, starting using new eye drops, learned to blink better, etc., with each change positively affecting other areas of my life, too. :cool: I wouldn't have made these valuable adjustments if my eyes had stayed the same, and my overall game would have been worse, instead of getting better.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

2wld4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
From what you've said so far, I'd say you're doing pretty good with your eyes despite the new changes you're experiencing.

What if you quit looking at this (pun intended) as a problem and started seeing it as just another exciting challenge in pool, another opportunity to use your mind to overcome nature's relentless fury?

Ask yourself, if this had happened when you were a youngster, wouldn't you have gotten used to it right away and lived your life almost normally, anyway? That can still be done pretty much at any age, can't it?

What if these new changes actually have you paying better attention to your pool, thus helping you overcome some other obstacle(s) in your game, and you get better instead of worse?

I ask, because this is what happened to me. I've been "forced" by my eye changes in the last 6 or 7 years to develop new aiming techniques, build a better stroke, increase my ability to know when I'm lined up whacky so I readjust, the patience to accept the misses and a improved procedure to help me overcome them on the next shot. I've added special stuff to my diet, starting using new eye drops, learned to blink better, etc., with each change positively affecting other areas of my life, too. :cool: I wouldn't have made these valuable adjustments if my eyes had stayed the same, and my overall game would have been worse, instead of getting better.

fwiw,

Jeff Livingston

Jeff, I dunno, I havent thought about it that way, To change my aim... that would be hard.. but Im willing to give anything a try.. I have acess to a 9 foot and I have several hours in the evening to practice..

My question, what kind of aiming system would bennifit an eye problem like mine? better yet, maybe I can develop a system with the help of others like myself... Im willing to try... I do need to understand this problem in great detail...

I know what is happening to me, but I never give it any credit, I never was aware that at some angles my eyes might percive the shot differnt.. Im going to practice this evening, and with the "awareness" I have now, I'll see what I can come up with..

The support from this forum is amazing, honestly I had quit, I had no idea others could relate to the problem I was facing... I felt like I was being punished.. My goals were seeingly crushed.. That may hold to be true, but because of the feedback I have recieved, I will not surrender, I will fight. I cant let others feel the way I have, I must push forward and put an end to this thing that nearly cost me any chance of being who I am...

you have sharpened my sword... I am eternaly greatful...

2wld4u

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Bi focal lenses......

Fliedout said:
Are there special lenses that work for someone who ordinarily wears bifocals? I'm thinking maybe single-vision lenses calibrated for 1-9 feet, if such a thing exists. Also, is there a source for these sorts of glasses? Thanks.

I tried several glass options now I use Bausch and loem multi focal contacts and am playing my best pool ever!

2wld4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an update, I did practice a lil tonight and tried a various number of aiming systems, No glasses and ran 3 racks, I think im on to something... I'll work with it more but I didnt miss.. I even went back to the practice table a couple times throughout this evening ( I played some golf) same result, everytime I tried to get out I did... playing 9-ball, I think I did run a couple racks of 8 ball but I didnt from the break so they dont count... I am excited! all that playing and I feel great! my eyes arent the least bit tired... I'll know more tommorow night...

2wld4u