FargoRate / DigitalPool: How is perfomance calculated and reported against "adjusted" player?

stewie

Not that it matters much, but out of curiosity:

If I, as a 550, play a 470 (real fargo, with ~400 robustness), which entered the tournament as a 550, how is each player's performance calculated? As if he would be a 550? or as if a would have played a 470?

I can see that DigitalPool does the math with the adjusted fargo, is that how it's reported to Fargorate?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Not that it matters much, but out of curiosity:

If I, as a 550, play a 470 (real fargo, with ~400 robustness), which entered the tournament as a 550, how is each player's performance calculated? As if he would be a 550? or as if a would have played a 470?

I can see that DigitalPool does the math with the adjusted fargo, is that how it's reported to Fargorate?
What do you mean that he is a 470 but entered as a 550?? I don't think the player can change his Fargo rating, if he was handicapped as a 550 that would be between him and the TD, as far as Fargo is concerned the match is a 550 (you) vs a 470 (him)

Zerksies

What do you mean that he is a 470 but entered as a 550?? I don't think the player can change his Fargo rating, if he was handicapped as a 550 that would be between him and the TD, as far as Fargo is concerned the match is a 550 (you) vs a 470 (him)
i think he means him as a 550 player, plays a guy with a estimated 470, but really a 400. What happens to his rate say he loses.

stewie

Adjusted by the TD. He can overwrite that player's fargo. Happens when someone has low robustness or a lower fargo enters a "higher bracket" with a minimum higher than his fargo.

The latter would be if you have a split bracket, split at 560. The lower bracket starts on Saturday, the higher on Sunday. If I am a 470 and only have time on Sunday, I can enter the higher bracket as an "adjusted" 560 on Sunday. Keeps the handicaps in range.

rharm

Registered
Adjusted by the TD. He can overwrite that player's fargo. Happens when someone has low robustness or a lower fargo enters a "higher bracket" with a minimum higher than his fargo.

The latter would be if you have a split bracket, split at 560. The lower bracket starts on Saturday, the higher on Sunday. If I am a 470 and only have time on Sunday, I can enter the higher bracket as an "adjusted" 560 on Sunday. Keeps the handicaps in range.
Fargo would calculate it using his actual Fargo rating of 470. Whatever adjustment done by the TD only impacts the tournament within DigitalPool.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "perfomance" tab in digital pool goes by the numbers input into the digital pool bracket. The performance is calculated by holding the opponent's rating constant, and adjusting your rating until it matches how many games you got against your opponents. This is a pretty good way to do it for a single tournament.

The real fargorate does it differently. It looks at ALL the players system wide in the fargorate system, and adjusts them all each night until the ratings best fit the wins/losses. The FargoRate system does not use the rating itself during the calculation, whatsoever.

One thing of note on digital pool brackets, is the number displayed does not sync up with the latest in the FargoRate database, unless the TD takes an extra step to sync it. The Digitalpool bracket has its own database of players, and the rating may be very out of date. For example I have a friend with 4 or 5 entries in digital pool, all with different ratings. When a TD looks up his name, he gets all of them, and has to arbitrarily pick which one to use. Also, the TD can override any rating and put in any number they wish.