Favorite player and least favorite player?

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
My favorite is, of course, Bata Reyes. He is definitely the GOAT in my opinion and humble as the day is long.
My least favorite is Vince Dubickas. Don't know him, never heard of him but I support PT109 whenever I can. You're welcome Paul. :giggle:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My favorite? My honorary nephew, Matt Horner. Just a working stiff who shoots only in the high 600's Fargo rating. But never heard anybody bad mouth him. A likeable guy who gets along with most everybody. Has a unique ability to remember every shot in a matchup he's had, even one that is years past.

Love watching the pros on stream (not so much since streams went to facebook, which I avoid) and on youtube. Since I never met any of them, no personal favorites. Or maybe they all are because of their awesome play.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Snooker my favorite is Ronnie O' Sullivan. In Pool no other than Efren.

Least favorite: Snooker - Judd Trump Pool Joshua Filler. I don't like arrogant players who look down on less skilled others and/or behave like total assholes. People like Earl at least have an excuse - they have a mental condition and Earl is supposedly a nice guy, privately.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorites-
1.Efren
2.Ralph
3.Shane
4. Appleton, Melling, Shaw (they must all be together as a group) being a fly on the wall
when those 3 are chopping it up is one
of life's great pleasures.

Least-
Siegel

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My favorite is, of course, Bata Reyes. He is definitely the GOAT in my opinion and humble as the day is long.
My least favorite is Vince Dubickas. Don't know him, never heard of him but I support PT109 whenever I can. You're welcome Paul. :giggle:
32B241F3-FE30-43DF-A315-EEC342FAFD48.jpeg

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Snooker my favorite is Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Least favorite: Snooker - Judd Trump. I don't like arrogant players who look down on less skilled others and/or behave like total assholes.
To me, your description of Trump is a better fit for O'Sullivan (not always but sometimes).

Do you have any examples of Judd acting like a douche?

My favorite player is Stephen Hendry in his prime. Aggressive, beautiful stroke, stone killer. Broke the elbow on his bridge arm early in a world championship and won it anyway. Wish there was more high quality video of him!

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, your description of Trump is a better fit for O'Sullivan (not always but sometimes).

You're right, Ronnie had his bad days. But I think he is more of the "Earl" kind. Sometimes just not thinking what he does - purely emotional reactions.

Judd Trump said some pretty arrogant things about opponents when he was still a young but rising star. At a time when he was just a bit better than the ones he criticized harshly. I can't find the older comments, but:

A more recent interview which goes in the same direction and shows his general attitude:

Although this is not what originally started my dislike for JT, it sums it up really well with another example:

Here is a newer interview I also did not like, although this just adds to my first impressions:

There were quite a few other instances which rounded off my impression of him as a person. It may just be me but I prefer to see Ronnie picking his nose while sitting in his chair. He seems to be more genuine to me, like Earl. Trump and Filler are the kind of people I personally dislike, can't help it.

And yes, they are great players and more interesting to watch than #127 playing #95 on the ranking list. But my dislike for them is there, nevertheless. And being mean also deep down inside, I always hope for the opponents to win :)

My favorite player is Stephen Hendry in his prime. Aggressive, beautiful stroke, stone killer. Broke the elbow on his bridge arm early in a world championship and won it anyway. Wish there was more high quality video of him!

You're right. There were quite a few gentleman players in the earlier days.

I always liked real gentlemen the most. Even if they had lots of faults. But if you could see that they were good people deep inside - like the story about Earl when he did not have a lot of money but bought $ 100 worth of lottery tickets in a raffle, won a cue and gave it to a young fan of his. Mentioned in Mark Wilson's book.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two of each

Favorite: first is Ralf S. (I try to pattern my game after his consistency and professionalism) or Alex P. (Ton of heart, inventive, and Entertaining).

Least Favorite: Mika or Earl (due to demeanor)

Geosnookery

I’m never sure about Judd. My observation is that he lacks ‘awareness’. In post match interviews, the first sentence out of most winners mouths is ‘thank you’ followed by a compliment of some kind to the losing opponent. In contrast, Judd usually just answers the questions without the social pleasantries. Not rude so much as ‘detached’.

Having said this, Trump is improving the last year or so. Selby likely makes a million in China off the table for very million on it through appearances , endorsements, etc. Judd likely has a PR representative of some type that coaches him on improving his image as he’s probably missing out on a lot of opportunities.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorite: too many
Least favorite:
Imran Majid- cocky full of himself. Names himself as favorite player in his player profiles (He could be joking but if player waste space in profile for a joke instead of praising their favorites something is wrong somewhere ) . Biased partial commentator in his past commentaries don't know about now. Does not give credit to really tough shots made by players
Mika -crybaby prone to tantrums as others have said

Favorite cum least favorite category:
None other than "split personality" Earl. Favorite when he shoots lights out but least favorite when he meltdown or shark other players. Favorite when he is commentating. Love his simple 101 technical comments like top left, bottom right https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=billiard+network+earl+strickland
:D

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fave? Busti Least fave? Archer when he's in 'gardening mode'. When he starts that lint picking crap i'm GONE. Drives me nuts.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Steve Davis doesn’t get mentioned enough because he is a modest man.
IMO, he led snooker into its modern stage.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Efren & Buddy tie for fav, although there was a skill Buddy needed to improve before he brought it out on ESPN almost 30 yrs ago

Jack Hines ( 90's vintage) was a great player, but, an utter tool....one other is in his zip code, but, a good dude when not playing pool

driz86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Favorites are Sigel, Crane, Ouschan (present day). I think D. Hatch has a poor public persona and is often rude but I like his game anyway.

Flowerbomb

Corey Deuel, SVB, Efren Reyes, Darren Appleton, Lori John Jones, Allison Fisher, Florian Kohler and Tom Rossman are my favorites to watch.
People that show poor sportsmanship, or exude cockiness or have crazy antics at the table are my least favorite.

Geosnookery

Steve Davis doesn’t get mentioned enough because he is a modest man.
IMO, he led snooker into its modern stage.
Agree on Davis. Ray Reardon also put some ‘personality’ into the game. Davis and Reardon were two excellent ambassadors for the sport. Class acts. Ding has a similar role in giving Snooker a positive image in China.

Alex Higgins and Jimmy White were more ‘attractions’. Excellent players but more Spectacles that draw fans but don’t build a solid base.